'Students kicked out of Highcrest because pass grades would made it look bad'

'Students kicked out of Highcrest because pass grades would made it look bad'

'Students kicked out of Highcrest because pass grades would made it look bad'

First published in News
Last updated
Bucks Free Press: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

PARENTS have claimed their children were thrown out of Highcrest’s Sixth Form because their predicted pass grades would ‘not look good on the academy’.

Two parents approached the Free Press to say seven youngsters were told their Sixth Form place at Highcrest was being revoked because their grades were not of the required standard.

A parent, who did not wish to be named, said her 18-year-old son was on course for a pass mark and not the distinction Highcrest was looking for.

She said: “They are crushing the children's self confidence – if they’re on for a pass they should motivate them and say ‘you need to put in more’.

“They are wasting a child's whole year. They are not going to get in anywhere else at this stage of the school year - it's totally unfair.

“We asked why there hadn’t been a warning, as teachers are supposed to help them, and they used the words ‘it’s not good for the school’.

“I asked, so are they just numbers on a piece of paper to you then and not students you are supposed to help? They said ‘we can’t comment’.

"They're doing it to save their own skin and to make themselves look nice for Ofsted next year."

A 17-year-old student who had been kicked out of the academy said the snub has left her feeling ‘useless, broken and not wanted’.

The student, who also asked not to be named, is still fighting to reclaim her place but said she was shocked at the way she was treated by staff.

She said staff would not speak to her when she went up to the Hatters Lane-based academy to discuss the issue and later refused to change their mind despite not having an up-to-date report on her progress.

She added: “As dedicated individuals, we believe that no student should be asked to leave if they are underachieving - instead the school should support us and motivate us to get the grades required.

“Kicking Sixth Formers out will not help them make the school better [in the eyes of Ofsted].

“Highcrest tells its students that they are entering a place to succeed. Its mission statement is to ‘learn and achieve’ - but how can we do that if we are not given the chance?”

The BFP contacted Highcrest but it refused to confirm or deny the claims, stating: “We do not comment on individuals or small groups of students who may then be identifiable to the local community.

"Whatever actions we take are always in the best interests of individual students.”

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:07pm Sat 21 Dec 13

dee.antropik says...

Highcrest should realise that they are there for the students. Despite what the Head hopes to achieve,we all know that it is basically a 'failing school'! The behaviour of the students is dreadful and the staff cannot cope. Other secondary schools are achieving in all respects. Cressex Community School, for example, didn't change it's name or continually sing it's own praise. They don't need to!! The students there work hard, achieve good results, and above all are smart and very respectful .. unlike Highcrest!!!
The Head at Highcrest needs to come into the 'real' world!
Highcrest should realise that they are there for the students. Despite what the Head hopes to achieve,we all know that it is basically a 'failing school'! The behaviour of the students is dreadful and the staff cannot cope. Other secondary schools are achieving in all respects. Cressex Community School, for example, didn't change it's name or continually sing it's own praise. They don't need to!! The students there work hard, achieve good results, and above all are smart and very respectful .. unlike Highcrest!!! The Head at Highcrest needs to come into the 'real' world! dee.antropik
  • Score: 4

5:10pm Sat 21 Dec 13

wycombe012 says...

If students continue to downgrade the school, especially in the media recently the school has gained a lot of criticism, if it continues the school will be CLOSED down again, and new houses will be built in that place, do you really want housing estates built in places where students can go and learn?, they have nearly 1000 students and they only removed 7 students which is a small minority, it has high standards and obviously they will remove students not up to their standards. CAN I ALSO SAY HIGHCREST MADE SIXTH FORMERS SIGN A CONTRACT WHICH CLEARLY STATES THE RULES!!, BY SIGNING THE CONTRACT THE STUDENTS AGREED WITH THE CONDITIONS.

READ THE 2ND LINE!, THEY RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE STUDENTS AT ANY TIME IF THE TEACHER FEELS THEY ARE NOT WORKING WELL.!!! YOU SIGNED IT WHICH MEANS YOU AGREED. ANYWAYS YOU SHOULD BE ATTEMPTING TO GAIN DISTINCTIONS NOT JUST PASSES. FOR YOUR INFORMATION MOST SCHOOLS INCLUDING RAMSAY, HOLMER GREEN, MISBOURNE REQUIRE STUDENTS TO GAIN AT LEAST A MERIT TO CONTINUE AT THE SCHOOL!....

Sixth Form Understanding Contract
I understand that:
1. There is a 4 week rule in place whereby if I am not putting the effort into every subject; or if my teachers’ think I am on an inappropriate course, then I will be either asked to leave The Highcrest Academy or my options will be discussed with me and my parents will be informed.
2. There are several ‘reporting points’ throughout the course of the year, that if I am not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement I will be asked to leave The Highcrest Academy.
3. And will comply with the school uniform requirement of a suit at all times.
4. I will not have paid work outside of school that adds up to more than 10 hours per week at any point during my Sixth Form career at The Highcrest Academy.
5. By attending The Highcrest Academy I have enrolled in a full-time (08:35-15:25) course Monday to Friday.
6. I must be in school and attend lessons every day (except for school organised events). Any appointments must be made outside of school time and where this is not possible permission must be sought from the Head of Sixth Form prior to the day of the appointment.
7. “Study lessons” are to be completed as Independent work, using the member of staff in the room as support where possible, and are never an excuse not to work or be playing games.
8. I can bring my own laptop/ tablet into school but that it cannot (at present) be networked so internet usage must be through another means e.g. a dongle. The computer / tablet remains my property and therefore my responsibility and the school will take no responsibility for loss or damage.
9. Set independent study work / coursework / homework etc. must be completed with no excuses and no exception.
10. To move into Year 13 I must achieve no lower than D grades in my AS exams (3 subjects must be taken at A2 level or the equivalent in Year 13).
11. As a Sixth Former I am an Ambassador for the school even if I do not apply to be a Prefect.
If students continue to downgrade the school, especially in the media recently the school has gained a lot of criticism, if it continues the school will be CLOSED down again, and new houses will be built in that place, do you really want housing estates built in places where students can go and learn?, they have nearly 1000 students and they only removed 7 students which is a small minority, it has high standards and obviously they will remove students not up to their standards. CAN I ALSO SAY HIGHCREST MADE SIXTH FORMERS SIGN A CONTRACT WHICH CLEARLY STATES THE RULES!!, BY SIGNING THE CONTRACT THE STUDENTS AGREED WITH THE CONDITIONS. READ THE 2ND LINE!, THEY RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE STUDENTS AT ANY TIME IF THE TEACHER FEELS THEY ARE NOT WORKING WELL.!!! YOU SIGNED IT WHICH MEANS YOU AGREED. ANYWAYS YOU SHOULD BE ATTEMPTING TO GAIN DISTINCTIONS NOT JUST PASSES. FOR YOUR INFORMATION MOST SCHOOLS INCLUDING RAMSAY, HOLMER GREEN, MISBOURNE REQUIRE STUDENTS TO GAIN AT LEAST A MERIT TO CONTINUE AT THE SCHOOL!.... Sixth Form Understanding Contract I understand that: 1. There is a 4 week rule in place whereby if I am not putting the effort into every subject; or if my teachers’ think I am on an inappropriate course, then I will be either asked to leave The Highcrest Academy or my options will be discussed with me and my parents will be informed. 2. There are several ‘reporting points’ throughout the course of the year, that if I am not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement I will be asked to leave The Highcrest Academy. 3. And will comply with the school uniform requirement of a suit at all times. 4. I will not have paid work outside of school that adds up to more than 10 hours per week at any point during my Sixth Form career at The Highcrest Academy. 5. By attending The Highcrest Academy I have enrolled in a full-time (08:35-15:25) course Monday to Friday. 6. I must be in school and attend lessons every day (except for school organised events). Any appointments must be made outside of school time and where this is not possible permission must be sought from the Head of Sixth Form prior to the day of the appointment. 7. “Study lessons” are to be completed as Independent work, using the member of staff in the room as support where possible, and are never an excuse not to work or be playing games. 8. I can bring my own laptop/ tablet into school but that it cannot (at present) be networked so internet usage must be through another means e.g. a dongle. The computer / tablet remains my property and therefore my responsibility and the school will take no responsibility for loss or damage. 9. Set independent study work / coursework / homework etc. must be completed with no excuses and no exception. 10. To move into Year 13 I must achieve no lower than D grades in my AS exams (3 subjects must be taken at A2 level or the equivalent in Year 13). 11. As a Sixth Former I am an Ambassador for the school even if I do not apply to be a Prefect. wycombe012
  • Score: 4

5:26pm Sat 21 Dec 13

thetruth134 says...

I do agree with ''wycombe012''.. after reading through highcrests' sixth form contract application form, I can see the school have done nothing wrong.. I am only commenting about this only instances I believe the school did the right thing and followed the school rules agreed by the students. I cannot comment on other issues such as banding tests as I have no information about the school. The school does not have to take the students back because students did know what the consequences would be if they did not follow the contract. If students are only going for passes it is highly likely that they will be asked to leave any school, if you disagree you may ring in and query this at other schools and colleges. Students usually have to gain a MERIT minimum in order to move forward onto the next level. This may have changed from when I attended school many years ago but I highly doubt it...
I do agree with ''wycombe012''.. after reading through highcrests' sixth form contract application form, I can see the school have done nothing wrong.. I am only commenting about this only instances I believe the school did the right thing and followed the school rules agreed by the students. I cannot comment on other issues such as banding tests as I have no information about the school. The school does not have to take the students back because students did know what the consequences would be if they did not follow the contract. If students are only going for passes it is highly likely that they will be asked to leave any school, if you disagree you may ring in and query this at other schools and colleges. Students usually have to gain a MERIT minimum in order to move forward onto the next level. This may have changed from when I attended school many years ago but I highly doubt it... thetruth134
  • Score: 1

5:38pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Littleskyfall says...

I'm sorry but this 'contract' fills me with horror, it sounds like they are signing up for the gestapo, is this what all schools do to their 6th formers? Maybe someone could let me know about the other local secondary schools 6th form contracts. Where is the 'If you are struggling please come and talk to me, we will help you through a tough course or advise you to change to a less challenging course if that is in your best interest'. I don't see that there, and these are not children they are 17 and 18 yr olds, if they want to work surely that is their right, it is a struggle for families to support their children, so to go out and get a job is imperative for some to be able to continue their education. It also gives them the valuable experience of being out in the 'big world'. As long as it doesn't impact on their studying surely it can be a good thing.
I can't see this school being closed down it is much needed, this is just a blip, but can I also say it isn't just about the 7 recent 6th formers, there was a group in the summer also told not to come back in September, not sure how many but rumored to be 20, there is a bigger picture.
As a community school the 6th form was thriving has something changed from then?
I'm sorry but this 'contract' fills me with horror, it sounds like they are signing up for the gestapo, is this what all schools do to their 6th formers? Maybe someone could let me know about the other local secondary schools 6th form contracts. Where is the 'If you are struggling please come and talk to me, we will help you through a tough course or advise you to change to a less challenging course if that is in your best interest'. I don't see that there, and these are not children they are 17 and 18 yr olds, if they want to work surely that is their right, it is a struggle for families to support their children, so to go out and get a job is imperative for some to be able to continue their education. It also gives them the valuable experience of being out in the 'big world'. As long as it doesn't impact on their studying surely it can be a good thing. I can't see this school being closed down it is much needed, this is just a blip, but can I also say it isn't just about the 7 recent 6th formers, there was a group in the summer also told not to come back in September, not sure how many but rumored to be 20, there is a bigger picture. As a community school the 6th form was thriving has something changed from then? Littleskyfall
  • Score: 19

5:39pm Sat 21 Dec 13

allrightnow2 says...

When I was at school (not too long ago) we were expected to achieve certain grades to get a place in the sixth form and the continuation of our place was subject to our achievement, performance, progress and contribution to the school and community. This sounds similar to me.
When I was at school (not too long ago) we were expected to achieve certain grades to get a place in the sixth form and the continuation of our place was subject to our achievement, performance, progress and contribution to the school and community. This sounds similar to me. allrightnow2
  • Score: 14

5:49pm Sat 21 Dec 13

wycombe012 says...

Littleskyfall I do agree some of these rules are harsh and very strict, I can see where you are coming from but at the end of the day students signed the contracts before they started and they knew what they were expected to achieve. I know the "paid work" rule is ridiculous as it should have nothing to do with the school as long as it does not effect the students performance. Overall sixth formers around the area are not doing well, for example Cressex have removed sixth form altogether apart from once course to improve their standards.
Littleskyfall I do agree some of these rules are harsh and very strict, I can see where you are coming from but at the end of the day students signed the contracts before they started and they knew what they were expected to achieve. I know the "paid work" rule is ridiculous as it should have nothing to do with the school as long as it does not effect the students performance. Overall sixth formers around the area are not doing well, for example Cressex have removed sixth form altogether apart from once course to improve their standards. wycombe012
  • Score: 6

8:03pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Rowratty says...

This is a school that requires improvement. It is not good because:

The proportion of students attaining five or more GCSE passes at grades A* to C, including English and mathematics, has not improved rapidly enough over the last few years. The most able students do not always make the progress that they are capable of in all subjects.

The sixth form requires improvement. Students do not make rapid enough progress on AS courses. Retention rates are low and changes to the courses on offer have not yet had an impact on results.

Teaching in the sixth form is not consistently good. As a result, students do not make good progress.

The quality of teachers’ marking varies too much. Students’ responses are not always checked to make sure that they understand the work.

The work of senior and subject leaders has not yet resulted in good achievement for all students, particularly those in the sixth form.

What does the school need to do to improve further?

Accelerate the improvements in teaching, particularly in the sixth form, so that all groups of students make at least good progress by:

setting work at the right level of difficulty for each student with enough challenge, particularly for the most able students improving the quality of marking and feedback to that of the best in the academy so all students know how well they are doing and what they have to do to improve their work, as well as being given time to respond to teachers’ guidance making sure that there are more opportunities for students to learn independently.

Improve the sixth form, including retention rates, quality of provision and students’ outcomes by making sure that the courses on offer fully meet students’ needs and that teaching is consistently good.

Improve leadership and management at all levels by ensuring that: all subject leaders consistently and robustly analyse and accurately evaluate the impact of teaching on students’ achievement and progress from their starting points.

The head Principals reaction to the recommendations in the Ofsted report is to kick out those sixth form students who have not make good progress and have been adversely affected by mismanagement and poor teaching.

Blame and punish the students for the failings identified by Ofsted.
This is a school that requires improvement. It is not good because: The proportion of students attaining five or more GCSE passes at grades A* to C, including English and mathematics, has not improved rapidly enough over the last few years. The most able students do not always make the progress that they are capable of in all subjects. The sixth form requires improvement. Students do not make rapid enough progress on AS courses. Retention rates are low and changes to the courses on offer have not yet had an impact on results. Teaching in the sixth form is not consistently good. As a result, students do not make good progress. The quality of teachers’ marking varies too much. Students’ responses are not always checked to make sure that they understand the work. The work of senior and subject leaders has not yet resulted in good achievement for all students, particularly those in the sixth form. What does the school need to do to improve further? Accelerate the improvements in teaching, particularly in the sixth form, so that all groups of students make at least good progress by: setting work at the right level of difficulty for each student with enough challenge, particularly for the most able students improving the quality of marking and feedback to that of the best in the academy so all students know how well they are doing and what they have to do to improve their work, as well as being given time to respond to teachers’ guidance making sure that there are more opportunities for students to learn independently. Improve the sixth form, including retention rates, quality of provision and students’ outcomes by making sure that the courses on offer fully meet students’ needs and that teaching is consistently good. Improve leadership and management at all levels by ensuring that: all subject leaders consistently and robustly analyse and accurately evaluate the impact of teaching on students’ achievement and progress from their starting points. The head Principals reaction to the recommendations in the Ofsted report is to kick out those sixth form students who have not make good progress and have been adversely affected by mismanagement and poor teaching. Blame and punish the students for the failings identified by Ofsted. Rowratty
  • Score: 18

12:24am Sun 22 Dec 13

tottmick says...

Those students were making life difficult for others with their misbehaviour, I've heard. They had a good opportunity and blew it. Now their parents are moaning when they should be taking responsibility. Still, we must sympathise with the parents that don't want those teenagers hanging around their house all day. They will lose some benefits no doubt, but there are jobs they can do in Tescos. There are only 4 of them after all and the school has to look after the whole student body not just a handful. Sixth formers had to set an example to others in my day, not be a bad influence. Others will see they cannot mess about or end up in Tescos or Mcdonalds.
Those students were making life difficult for others with their misbehaviour, I've heard. They had a good opportunity and blew it. Now their parents are moaning when they should be taking responsibility. Still, we must sympathise with the parents that don't want those teenagers hanging around their house all day. They will lose some benefits no doubt, but there are jobs they can do in Tescos. There are only 4 of them after all and the school has to look after the whole student body not just a handful. Sixth formers had to set an example to others in my day, not be a bad influence. Others will see they cannot mess about or end up in Tescos or Mcdonalds. tottmick
  • Score: -19

12:35am Sun 22 Dec 13

Zeezzz says...

The 10th point in the contract is clearly not right because Highcrest do not accept anyone onto the 6th form who achieves lower than a C at AS... The 2nd point in the contract is valid but how do they explain the 10th?
The 10th point in the contract is clearly not right because Highcrest do not accept anyone onto the 6th form who achieves lower than a C at AS... The 2nd point in the contract is valid but how do they explain the 10th? Zeezzz
  • Score: 18

8:44am Sun 22 Dec 13

Drummer-12 says...

The picture is more clear now that I have seen the contract form..to be honest some of these conditions are very strict.. however students signed and an agreement was created.. if there were some disagreements then surely this should have been queried before YOU signed. For example when people see cheap mobile phone contracts and therefor sign a contract without reading the small print which might have hidden charges.. if the customer complains nothing will happen as they signed and should have queried any issues before..in reality NO university accepts students who get lower than merits.. find me a university which take students with passes or D grades (normally for a levels its ABB , and for btecs D*DM , these may vary in courses and some require higher... I do hope the school reads these comments on here and stick with their decision as they did nothing wrong..schools and colleges are being strict as are the requirements for university places. Best advice for students .. find a different school.. join college which allow you to start from level 1 as I can see students would benefit from starting at level 1 to increase their knowledge for level 2 and 3 ..
The picture is more clear now that I have seen the contract form..to be honest some of these conditions are very strict.. however students signed and an agreement was created.. if there were some disagreements then surely this should have been queried before YOU signed. For example when people see cheap mobile phone contracts and therefor sign a contract without reading the small print which might have hidden charges.. if the customer complains nothing will happen as they signed and should have queried any issues before..in reality NO university accepts students who get lower than merits.. find me a university which take students with passes or D grades (normally for a levels its ABB , and for btecs D*DM , these may vary in courses and some require higher... I do hope the school reads these comments on here and stick with their decision as they did nothing wrong..schools and colleges are being strict as are the requirements for university places. Best advice for students .. find a different school.. join college which allow you to start from level 1 as I can see students would benefit from starting at level 1 to increase their knowledge for level 2 and 3 .. Drummer-12
  • Score: -17

9:58am Sun 22 Dec 13

norma stitz says...

Sounds like the school is reverting to type.
Hatters Lane, the prison on the hill, well that's what we fondly referred to it when I went there.
Mind you that was a while ago.
Sounds like the school is reverting to type. Hatters Lane, the prison on the hill, well that's what we fondly referred to it when I went there. Mind you that was a while ago. norma stitz
  • Score: 14

10:49am Sun 22 Dec 13

Anita21072 says...

My son attended the school and was excluded in year 9. The school was never supportive and was happier to just keep sending him home. He struggled academically and obviously not destined to get high exam grades so it was much easier to exclude him. He is now 19 and a level 2 qualified carpenter thanks to the care and support of Wycombe Grange School, and them placing him with a construction company for work experience and him gaining a full time job with the company!
My son attended the school and was excluded in year 9. The school was never supportive and was happier to just keep sending him home. He struggled academically and obviously not destined to get high exam grades so it was much easier to exclude him. He is now 19 and a level 2 qualified carpenter thanks to the care and support of Wycombe Grange School, and them placing him with a construction company for work experience and him gaining a full time job with the company! Anita21072
  • Score: 36

1:41pm Sun 22 Dec 13

wycombe user says...

If Highcrest has even a tiny bit of respect in them then they will surely accept the students back. Everyone deserves a second chance. Students will work much harder after knowing the consequences.
If Highcrest has even a tiny bit of respect in them then they will surely accept the students back. Everyone deserves a second chance. Students will work much harder after knowing the consequences. wycombe user
  • Score: 32

3:29pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Drummer-12 says...

Rules are rules.. if they give them a second chance then it wouldnt be fair for everyone else who was removed from sixth form last year..

Even if this case is taken further .. nothing will happen because ALL students signed a contract.. the reason why they made everyone sign a contract is to back themselves up in events of disputes such as this one.. even if taken to court the outcome would not change but will cost money and time .. the school may not be good however in this instance they followed the correct procedures agreed and signed by over 100 students...

I dont think the school will overturn their decision after those students downgraded the school in public.. plus the media always exaggerates things... the title for this article should have been "pupils failed to abide by school rules and highcrest removes them"...

The school is good however I disagree with their admissions as they should be accepting locall children... I also hear parents complaining about the schools end time... all other schools have one finish time usually 3pm whereas highcrest let students out between 3:10 and 3:40 which is ridiculous. . They should have ONE finish time
Rules are rules.. if they give them a second chance then it wouldnt be fair for everyone else who was removed from sixth form last year.. Even if this case is taken further .. nothing will happen because ALL students signed a contract.. the reason why they made everyone sign a contract is to back themselves up in events of disputes such as this one.. even if taken to court the outcome would not change but will cost money and time .. the school may not be good however in this instance they followed the correct procedures agreed and signed by over 100 students... I dont think the school will overturn their decision after those students downgraded the school in public.. plus the media always exaggerates things... the title for this article should have been "pupils failed to abide by school rules and highcrest removes them"... The school is good however I disagree with their admissions as they should be accepting locall children... I also hear parents complaining about the schools end time... all other schools have one finish time usually 3pm whereas highcrest let students out between 3:10 and 3:40 which is ridiculous. . They should have ONE finish time Drummer-12
  • Score: -32

4:27pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Bajina says...

Drummer-12 wrote:
Rules are rules.. if they give them a second chance then it wouldnt be fair for everyone else who was removed from sixth form last year..

Even if this case is taken further .. nothing will happen because ALL students signed a contract.. the reason why they made everyone sign a contract is to back themselves up in events of disputes such as this one.. even if taken to court the outcome would not change but will cost money and time .. the school may not be good however in this instance they followed the correct procedures agreed and signed by over 100 students...

I dont think the school will overturn their decision after those students downgraded the school in public.. plus the media always exaggerates things... the title for this article should have been "pupils failed to abide by school rules and highcrest removes them"...

The school is good however I disagree with their admissions as they should be accepting locall children... I also hear parents complaining about the schools end time... all other schools have one finish time usually 3pm whereas highcrest let students out between 3:10 and 3:40 which is ridiculous. . They should have ONE finish time
Drummer-12
Un peu de soin, mon maître.
Correct normal proscribed procedures are not only 'contracts' sign by 14/15 years old.
[quote][p][bold]Drummer-12[/bold] wrote: Rules are rules.. if they give them a second chance then it wouldnt be fair for everyone else who was removed from sixth form last year.. Even if this case is taken further .. nothing will happen because ALL students signed a contract.. the reason why they made everyone sign a contract is to back themselves up in events of disputes such as this one.. even if taken to court the outcome would not change but will cost money and time .. the school may not be good however in this instance they followed the correct procedures agreed and signed by over 100 students... I dont think the school will overturn their decision after those students downgraded the school in public.. plus the media always exaggerates things... the title for this article should have been "pupils failed to abide by school rules and highcrest removes them"... The school is good however I disagree with their admissions as they should be accepting locall children... I also hear parents complaining about the schools end time... all other schools have one finish time usually 3pm whereas highcrest let students out between 3:10 and 3:40 which is ridiculous. . They should have ONE finish time[/p][/quote]Drummer-12 Un peu de soin, mon maître. Correct normal proscribed procedures are not only 'contracts' sign by 14/15 years old. Bajina
  • Score: 22

5:03pm Sun 22 Dec 13

slickchick says...

Rowratty's quotes from the OFSTED report give a possible explanation why the 6th form students were not achieving their potential. It looks as if the schools management reaction to the report is to the blame to the students. My reading of the OFSTED report is that teaching standards and the general management of the 6th form classes required improvement.

The 6th form contract section 2 states that:
"2. There are several ‘reporting points’ throughout the course of the year, that if I am not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement I will be asked to leave The Highcrest Academy."

Did the teachers use the reporting points tell the students that they were not meeting the required standards? Did the teachers offer any help and advice on what they had to do to improve?

Who made the decision to tell the students to leave? Was it the class teachers or did the school management tell the teachers to dismiss their pupils? Does Highcrest have a student appraisal procedure to deal with low attainment or behaviour problems? If they have a formal appraisal procedure, was it used when making these decisions to dismiss the students?
Rowratty's quotes from the OFSTED report give a possible explanation why the 6th form students were not achieving their potential. It looks as if the schools management reaction to the report is to the blame to the students. My reading of the OFSTED report is that teaching standards and the general management of the 6th form classes required improvement. The 6th form contract section 2 states that: "2. There are several ‘reporting points’ throughout the course of the year, that if I am not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement I will be asked to leave The Highcrest Academy." Did the teachers use the reporting points tell the students that they were not meeting the required standards? Did the teachers offer any help and advice on what they had to do to improve? Who made the decision to tell the students to leave? Was it the class teachers or did the school management tell the teachers to dismiss their pupils? Does Highcrest have a student appraisal procedure to deal with low attainment or behaviour problems? If they have a formal appraisal procedure, was it used when making these decisions to dismiss the students? slickchick
  • Score: 36

6:01pm Sun 22 Dec 13

wycombe user says...

Drummer-12 wrote:
Rules are rules.. if they give them a second chance then it wouldnt be fair for everyone else who was removed from sixth form last year..

Even if this case is taken further .. nothing will happen because ALL students signed a contract.. the reason why they made everyone sign a contract is to back themselves up in events of disputes such as this one.. even if taken to court the outcome would not change but will cost money and time .. the school may not be good however in this instance they followed the correct procedures agreed and signed by over 100 students...

I dont think the school will overturn their decision after those students downgraded the school in public.. plus the media always exaggerates things... the title for this article should have been "pupils failed to abide by school rules and highcrest removes them"...

The school is good however I disagree with their admissions as they should be accepting locall children... I also hear parents complaining about the schools end time... all other schools have one finish time usually 3pm whereas highcrest let students out between 3:10 and 3:40 which is ridiculous. . They should have ONE finish time
Drummer- 12 the students only downgraded the school in public as the staff at Highcrest refused to listen to them each time the students asked for a explanation as in why the had been removed from 6th form. if their voices are not heard then they have to go futher with the situation to atleast get a explanation.
[quote][p][bold]Drummer-12[/bold] wrote: Rules are rules.. if they give them a second chance then it wouldnt be fair for everyone else who was removed from sixth form last year.. Even if this case is taken further .. nothing will happen because ALL students signed a contract.. the reason why they made everyone sign a contract is to back themselves up in events of disputes such as this one.. even if taken to court the outcome would not change but will cost money and time .. the school may not be good however in this instance they followed the correct procedures agreed and signed by over 100 students... I dont think the school will overturn their decision after those students downgraded the school in public.. plus the media always exaggerates things... the title for this article should have been "pupils failed to abide by school rules and highcrest removes them"... The school is good however I disagree with their admissions as they should be accepting locall children... I also hear parents complaining about the schools end time... all other schools have one finish time usually 3pm whereas highcrest let students out between 3:10 and 3:40 which is ridiculous. . They should have ONE finish time[/p][/quote]Drummer- 12 the students only downgraded the school in public as the staff at Highcrest refused to listen to them each time the students asked for a explanation as in why the had been removed from 6th form. if their voices are not heard then they have to go futher with the situation to atleast get a explanation. wycombe user
  • Score: 32

11:30pm Sun 22 Dec 13

User531 says...

Over ten students were also kicked out or had to choose a BTEC course at the end of September as part of the '4 week rule'. This was very unfair because 4 weeks just is not long enough to see if a student a suitable for a certain course people can improve so much over the next 8-9 months if Highcrest just gives them a chance instead of kicking them out after 4 weeks. Also if a student underachieved in just one course it would mean being kicked out all together. As well as this several students who underachieved were given extra chances whereas other students who in some cases even did better were kicked out, it was very much just pick and choose by Mr. Fraser the head of sixth form. Highcrest are just so scared of the sixth form getting 55 U's again in total as they did in August 2013 so they kick anyone out who didnt attain at least a D, now its a C, not even Wycombe High or John Hampden asks for C's as a minimum requirement for A2 courses, they ask for a minimum of D's. What makes Highcrest so special? They now require improvement, the only reason they got the Outstanding rating by ofsted in 2010 was because everyone acts perfect on the day ofsted show up, the rest of the year the most students are poorly behaved.
Over ten students were also kicked out or had to choose a BTEC course at the end of September as part of the '4 week rule'. This was very unfair because 4 weeks just is not long enough to see if a student a suitable for a certain course people can improve so much over the next 8-9 months if Highcrest just gives them a chance instead of kicking them out after 4 weeks. Also if a student underachieved in just one course it would mean being kicked out all together. As well as this several students who underachieved were given extra chances whereas other students who in some cases even did better were kicked out, it was very much just pick and choose by Mr. Fraser the head of sixth form. Highcrest are just so scared of the sixth form getting 55 U's again in total as they did in August 2013 so they kick anyone out who didnt attain at least a D, now its a C, not even Wycombe High or John Hampden asks for C's as a minimum requirement for A2 courses, they ask for a minimum of D's. What makes Highcrest so special? They now require improvement, the only reason they got the Outstanding rating by ofsted in 2010 was because everyone acts perfect on the day ofsted show up, the rest of the year the most students are poorly behaved. User531
  • Score: 32

3:19am Mon 23 Dec 13

tottmick says...

slickchick wrote:
Rowratty's quotes from the OFSTED report give a possible explanation why the 6th form students were not achieving their potential. It looks as if the schools management reaction to the report is to the blame to the students. My reading of the OFSTED report is that teaching standards and the general management of the 6th form classes required improvement. The 6th form contract section 2 states that: "2. There are several ‘reporting points’ throughout the course of the year, that if I am not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement I will be asked to leave The Highcrest Academy." Did the teachers use the reporting points tell the students that they were not meeting the required standards? Did the teachers offer any help and advice on what they had to do to improve? Who made the decision to tell the students to leave? Was it the class teachers or did the school management tell the teachers to dismiss their pupils? Does Highcrest have a student appraisal procedure to deal with low attainment or behaviour problems? If they have a formal appraisal procedure, was it used when making these decisions to dismiss the students?
What a load of old cobblers. The students are already given the opportunity they do not get at other schools e.g. to go to 6th form and have the opportunity to go on to college or University. Is the 6th form of 90 students so awful in asking 4 to leave ? If it were all so bad why don't parents send their children to the grammar 6th forms where they can get D'S then? They don't want them and it is only D in case there is an outlying weakness. They will mostly get A or B.
Sickchick and Mr Ratty are you disaffected staff by any chance? Sounds Like it, missed out on a promotion maybe? Good luck to the 90 sixth formers who are making an effort.
[quote][p][bold]slickchick[/bold] wrote: Rowratty's quotes from the OFSTED report give a possible explanation why the 6th form students were not achieving their potential. It looks as if the schools management reaction to the report is to the blame to the students. My reading of the OFSTED report is that teaching standards and the general management of the 6th form classes required improvement. The 6th form contract section 2 states that: "2. There are several ‘reporting points’ throughout the course of the year, that if I am not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement I will be asked to leave The Highcrest Academy." Did the teachers use the reporting points tell the students that they were not meeting the required standards? Did the teachers offer any help and advice on what they had to do to improve? Who made the decision to tell the students to leave? Was it the class teachers or did the school management tell the teachers to dismiss their pupils? Does Highcrest have a student appraisal procedure to deal with low attainment or behaviour problems? If they have a formal appraisal procedure, was it used when making these decisions to dismiss the students?[/p][/quote]What a load of old cobblers. The students are already given the opportunity they do not get at other schools e.g. to go to 6th form and have the opportunity to go on to college or University. Is the 6th form of 90 students so awful in asking 4 to leave ? If it were all so bad why don't parents send their children to the grammar 6th forms where they can get D'S then? They don't want them and it is only D in case there is an outlying weakness. They will mostly get A or B. Sickchick and Mr Ratty are you disaffected staff by any chance? Sounds Like it, missed out on a promotion maybe? Good luck to the 90 sixth formers who are making an effort. tottmick
  • Score: -23

10:17am Mon 23 Dec 13

User531 says...

There are probably under 90 students in sixth form and only about 30 of them are actually doing A Levels, the rest are doing BTEC, in September there probably wont even be a year 13 just like last year where just over 5 students actually got good enough grades to carry onto A2. As well as this since September probably a total of 20 students have been kicked out so its not just 4 students.
There are probably under 90 students in sixth form and only about 30 of them are actually doing A Levels, the rest are doing BTEC, in September there probably wont even be a year 13 just like last year where just over 5 students actually got good enough grades to carry onto A2. As well as this since September probably a total of 20 students have been kicked out so its not just 4 students. User531
  • Score: 19

10:58am Mon 23 Dec 13

User531 says...

Mr Fraser and Highcrest is so unfair in the way they choose to kick out students that in September a student was failing all subjects and should have been asked to leave, however Mr. Fraser gave that student a seond chance and asked him to get his teachers to sign his planner saying he will get atleast a D in AS, on that same day a student who did better in all subjects was kicked out. As well as this a couple weeks back two AS students were caught bunking and Mr. Fraser caught them and they were only given a verbal warning, why not kick them out straight away, what kind of attitude does that show to bunk a lesson.
Mr Fraser and Highcrest is so unfair in the way they choose to kick out students that in September a student was failing all subjects and should have been asked to leave, however Mr. Fraser gave that student a seond chance and asked him to get his teachers to sign his planner saying he will get atleast a D in AS, on that same day a student who did better in all subjects was kicked out. As well as this a couple weeks back two AS students were caught bunking and Mr. Fraser caught them and they were only given a verbal warning, why not kick them out straight away, what kind of attitude does that show to bunk a lesson. User531
  • Score: 27

2:52pm Mon 23 Dec 13

thetruth134 says...

Can students STOP blaming other people for their actions. Do you really think you will be accepted back after you named certain individuals of staff in public. In my school one student named a teacher on an internet post and was removed from school. You should not be naming teachers and have some respect, Just the way the school refused to give a statement to the press as it would expose the individuals. There must have been a reason as to why only 10 were removed out of 100, maybe Ofsted highlighted the students to be removed?, Ofsted check student grades and performances as well not only inspect the teaching. And as for you saying the school and students act infront of Ofsted, haha funny because ALL schools put on an act infront of Ofsted so don't think its only highcrest.
Can students STOP blaming other people for their actions. Do you really think you will be accepted back after you named certain individuals of staff in public. In my school one student named a teacher on an internet post and was removed from school. You should not be naming teachers and have some respect, Just the way the school refused to give a statement to the press as it would expose the individuals. There must have been a reason as to why only 10 were removed out of 100, maybe Ofsted highlighted the students to be removed?, Ofsted check student grades and performances as well not only inspect the teaching. And as for you saying the school and students act infront of Ofsted, haha funny because ALL schools put on an act infront of Ofsted so don't think its only highcrest. thetruth134
  • Score: -28

5:27pm Mon 23 Dec 13

User531 says...

A total of 20 students were removed because they were predicted lower than a C but 4 weeks is not long enough to tell whether or not a student is suitable for a couse, some of the criteria required to meet that C is not even important, for example log on to the VLE, that made up a certain percentage which went towards getting a C, a C being 65%. Just give students a chance longer than 4 weeks, maybe if they worked for 5 months then failed there january mock exams then maybe kick them off the course but not after 4 weeks, the first week students didnt even have lessons.
A total of 20 students were removed because they were predicted lower than a C but 4 weeks is not long enough to tell whether or not a student is suitable for a couse, some of the criteria required to meet that C is not even important, for example log on to the VLE, that made up a certain percentage which went towards getting a C, a C being 65%. Just give students a chance longer than 4 weeks, maybe if they worked for 5 months then failed there january mock exams then maybe kick them off the course but not after 4 weeks, the first week students didnt even have lessons. User531
  • Score: 34

5:40pm Mon 23 Dec 13

tottmick says...

User531 wrote:
A total of 20 students were removed because they were predicted lower than a C but 4 weeks is not long enough to tell whether or not a student is suitable for a couse, some of the criteria required to meet that C is not even important, for example log on to the VLE, that made up a certain percentage which went towards getting a C, a C being 65%. Just give students a chance longer than 4 weeks, maybe if they worked for 5 months then failed there january mock exams then maybe kick them off the course but not after 4 weeks, the first week students didnt even have lessons.
Stop griping, we are all sick of one or two griping children and parents who show no respect for staff or the school community. You have had a chance and blown it, sadly that is how the world works. No excuses and take personal responsibility. Some people do not do well at school,they do better later on, once the penny has dropped that self discipline is required to suceed. Teachers and parents cannot do that for you, you have to do it for yourself.
[quote][p][bold]User531[/bold] wrote: A total of 20 students were removed because they were predicted lower than a C but 4 weeks is not long enough to tell whether or not a student is suitable for a couse, some of the criteria required to meet that C is not even important, for example log on to the VLE, that made up a certain percentage which went towards getting a C, a C being 65%. Just give students a chance longer than 4 weeks, maybe if they worked for 5 months then failed there january mock exams then maybe kick them off the course but not after 4 weeks, the first week students didnt even have lessons.[/p][/quote]Stop griping, we are all sick of one or two griping children and parents who show no respect for staff or the school community. You have had a chance and blown it, sadly that is how the world works. No excuses and take personal responsibility. Some people do not do well at school,they do better later on, once the penny has dropped that self discipline is required to suceed. Teachers and parents cannot do that for you, you have to do it for yourself. tottmick
  • Score: -23

6:47pm Mon 23 Dec 13

Drummer-12 says...

Tottmick I agree.. these teenagers are just looking for sympathy after blowing away their chances.. and user531 - you stated that schools should allow more than 4 weeks before making a decision. For your information the schoool allowed upto December (4 months) you had your chance to work hard and keep on top of your work.. unfortunately you failed to do this... stop all the moaning and begging for second chances your not in primary school..
Tottmick I agree.. these teenagers are just looking for sympathy after blowing away their chances.. and user531 - you stated that schools should allow more than 4 weeks before making a decision. For your information the schoool allowed upto December (4 months) you had your chance to work hard and keep on top of your work.. unfortunately you failed to do this... stop all the moaning and begging for second chances your not in primary school.. Drummer-12
  • Score: -32

7:53pm Mon 23 Dec 13

User531 says...

Where did you get that from up to december, it was only a 4 week trial, they saw that ofsted were coming so they kicked out the people with the lowest of efforts even if those were efforts of 2 which were 'satisifactory'.
Where did you get that from up to december, it was only a 4 week trial, they saw that ofsted were coming so they kicked out the people with the lowest of efforts even if those were efforts of 2 which were 'satisifactory'. User531
  • Score: 27

8:20pm Mon 23 Dec 13

Drummer-12 says...

They removed most in December .. so your telling me they removed you all in September and your still having nightmares 4 months later.. if you were really removed just after 4 weeks then why have you contacted the bucksfreepress 4 months later? Either way your confused?
They removed most in December .. so your telling me they removed you all in September and your still having nightmares 4 months later.. if you were really removed just after 4 weeks then why have you contacted the bucksfreepress 4 months later? Either way your confused? Drummer-12
  • Score: -27

10:15pm Mon 23 Dec 13

User531 says...

They removed students in september after 4 weeks now they have removed different students in december
They removed students in september after 4 weeks now they have removed different students in december User531
  • Score: 34

10:34pm Mon 23 Dec 13

Minority Report says...

The rules as presented are subjective, If the teacher thinks ... Not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement...If I am not putting in the effort...

How are these measured, if measured by results, then the minimum result required must be state so that students know what level of attainment is required.

Clause 10, specifies what attainment is required, the earlier clause should too.
The rules as presented are subjective, If the teacher thinks ... Not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement...If I am not putting in the effort... How are these measured, if measured by results, then the minimum result required must be state so that students know what level of attainment is required. Clause 10, specifies what attainment is required, the earlier clause should too. Minority Report
  • Score: 35

4:50pm Tue 24 Dec 13

tottmick says...

Minority Report wrote:
The rules as presented are subjective, If the teacher thinks ... Not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement...If I am not putting in the effort... How are these measured, if measured by results, then the minimum result required must be state so that students know what level of attainment is required. Clause 10, specifies what attainment is required, the earlier clause should too.
All schools have rules and policies, ask any school in Wycombe - Cressex, RGS, Why Valley, etc etc. Let's look at what they have bin up to rather than carping on Highcrest all the time. I heard Cressex don't have no 6th form? What's up with those Governors up there?
[quote][p][bold]Minority Report[/bold] wrote: The rules as presented are subjective, If the teacher thinks ... Not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement...If I am not putting in the effort... How are these measured, if measured by results, then the minimum result required must be state so that students know what level of attainment is required. Clause 10, specifies what attainment is required, the earlier clause should too.[/p][/quote]All schools have rules and policies, ask any school in Wycombe - Cressex, RGS, Why Valley, etc etc. Let's look at what they have bin up to rather than carping on Highcrest all the time. I heard Cressex don't have no 6th form? What's up with those Governors up there? tottmick
  • Score: -13

10:08am Wed 25 Dec 13

Undercover Euro Yob says...

I wonder if any local grammar school throws weak students overboard ‘because their predicted pass grades would ‘not look good on the grammar school’ and to ensure the percentage of successful entrants and their examination pass grades look as good as possible - probably not they have siphoned off a lot of the most likely candidates amongst local children.
I wonder if any local grammar school throws weak students overboard ‘because their predicted pass grades would ‘not look good on the grammar school’ and to ensure the percentage of successful entrants and their examination pass grades look as good as possible - probably not they have siphoned off a lot of the most likely candidates amongst local children. Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 26

11:07am Wed 25 Dec 13

wycombe user says...

• Its funny how most of the public think that the staff at Highcrest were right without knowing what clearly goes on in the school. A psychology and sociology teacher was introduced to us at the beginning of 6th form. The individual could not teach and we on numerous occasions went to our heads of learning to report the issue. However no further action was taken. We were told we had a number of end of topics tests, however by not getting the teaching we required most of us came out with poor results. As a sociology and psychology class we had signed many petitions however we were still ignored. When our results were received by our heads of learning they instantly asked us what the problem was. However by then it was too late our tests had happened. When as a year we tried telling the staff we were ignored but as soon as the results were given out that’s when action was taken. We were introduced to our new subject teacher but were told by head of learning’s that we were not to mention anything to our current sociology and psychology teacher. At the end of the week our sociology and psychology teacher was told she was not wanted regarding a number of issues. She was not given any warnings and was being replaced without knowing. Therefore the Highcrest is not only unfair on students but teachers aswell. As a year we feel that they don’t care about us as individuals but only exam results.
• Its funny how most of the public think that the staff at Highcrest were right without knowing what clearly goes on in the school. A psychology and sociology teacher was introduced to us at the beginning of 6th form. The individual could not teach and we on numerous occasions went to our heads of learning to report the issue. However no further action was taken. We were told we had a number of end of topics tests, however by not getting the teaching we required most of us came out with poor results. As a sociology and psychology class we had signed many petitions however we were still ignored. When our results were received by our heads of learning they instantly asked us what the problem was. However by then it was too late our tests had happened. When as a year we tried telling the staff we were ignored but as soon as the results were given out that’s when action was taken. We were introduced to our new subject teacher but were told by head of learning’s that we were not to mention anything to our current sociology and psychology teacher. At the end of the week our sociology and psychology teacher was told she was not wanted regarding a number of issues. She was not given any warnings and was being replaced without knowing. Therefore the Highcrest is not only unfair on students but teachers aswell. As a year we feel that they don’t care about us as individuals but only exam results. wycombe user
  • Score: 35

7:35pm Thu 26 Dec 13

Dickitdo says...

Drummer-12 wrote:
Rules are rules.. if they give them a second chance then it wouldnt be fair for everyone else who was removed from sixth form last year..

Even if this case is taken further .. nothing will happen because ALL students signed a contract.. the reason why they made everyone sign a contract is to back themselves up in events of disputes such as this one.. even if taken to court the outcome would not change but will cost money and time .. the school may not be good however in this instance they followed the correct procedures agreed and signed by over 100 students...

I dont think the school will overturn their decision after those students downgraded the school in public.. plus the media always exaggerates things... the title for this article should have been "pupils failed to abide by school rules and highcrest removes them"...

The school is good however I disagree with their admissions as they should be accepting locall children... I also hear parents complaining about the schools end time... all other schools have one finish time usually 3pm whereas highcrest let students out between 3:10 and 3:40 which is ridiculous. . They should have ONE finish time
A contract signed by a person under the age of 18 years would possibly be seen by a Court as non subjective ! But what the hell the School appears to be a law unto itself .Just get on and Educate these kids ,stop trying to score Political points. Do your best for all of these children or you will be a failing School, and you will have failed the kids that you have been charged to educate. This School needs an effective Board of Governors that keeps the management in check, or perhaps they should all be considering their positions.It is easy to sack kids. The school should look to the real failures in this debacle,You should not be blaming children.!
[quote][p][bold]Drummer-12[/bold] wrote: Rules are rules.. if they give them a second chance then it wouldnt be fair for everyone else who was removed from sixth form last year.. Even if this case is taken further .. nothing will happen because ALL students signed a contract.. the reason why they made everyone sign a contract is to back themselves up in events of disputes such as this one.. even if taken to court the outcome would not change but will cost money and time .. the school may not be good however in this instance they followed the correct procedures agreed and signed by over 100 students... I dont think the school will overturn their decision after those students downgraded the school in public.. plus the media always exaggerates things... the title for this article should have been "pupils failed to abide by school rules and highcrest removes them"... The school is good however I disagree with their admissions as they should be accepting locall children... I also hear parents complaining about the schools end time... all other schools have one finish time usually 3pm whereas highcrest let students out between 3:10 and 3:40 which is ridiculous. . They should have ONE finish time[/p][/quote]A contract signed by a person under the age of 18 years would possibly be seen by a Court as non subjective ! But what the hell the School appears to be a law unto itself .Just get on and Educate these kids ,stop trying to score Political points. Do your best for all of these children or you will be a failing School, and you will have failed the kids that you have been charged to educate. This School needs an effective Board of Governors that keeps the management in check, or perhaps they should all be considering their positions.It is easy to sack kids. The school should look to the real failures in this debacle,You should not be blaming children.! Dickitdo
  • Score: 48

6:32pm Fri 27 Dec 13

User531 says...

tottmick wrote:
Those students were making life difficult for others with their misbehaviour, I've heard. They had a good opportunity and blew it. Now their parents are moaning when they should be taking responsibility. Still, we must sympathise with the parents that don't want those teenagers hanging around their house all day. They will lose some benefits no doubt, but there are jobs they can do in Tescos. There are only 4 of them after all and the school has to look after the whole student body not just a handful. Sixth formers had to set an example to others in my day, not be a bad influence. Others will see they cannot mess about or end up in Tescos or Mcdonalds.
Nobody misbehaves in sixth form, Highcrest kicks students out because they want as few as possible and those few to be perfect so it looks good as a percentage, for example 60% of student achieved atleast one A grade when there are less than 30 students doing AS level. Also the number that have been kicked out is far greater than 4 and should have been accepted back.
[quote][p][bold]tottmick[/bold] wrote: Those students were making life difficult for others with their misbehaviour, I've heard. They had a good opportunity and blew it. Now their parents are moaning when they should be taking responsibility. Still, we must sympathise with the parents that don't want those teenagers hanging around their house all day. They will lose some benefits no doubt, but there are jobs they can do in Tescos. There are only 4 of them after all and the school has to look after the whole student body not just a handful. Sixth formers had to set an example to others in my day, not be a bad influence. Others will see they cannot mess about or end up in Tescos or Mcdonalds.[/p][/quote]Nobody misbehaves in sixth form, Highcrest kicks students out because they want as few as possible and those few to be perfect so it looks good as a percentage, for example 60% of student achieved atleast one A grade when there are less than 30 students doing AS level. Also the number that have been kicked out is far greater than 4 and should have been accepted back. User531
  • Score: 20

12:45pm Sat 28 Dec 13

User531 says...

slickchick wrote:
Rowratty's quotes from the OFSTED report give a possible explanation why the 6th form students were not achieving their potential. It looks as if the schools management reaction to the report is to the blame to the students. My reading of the OFSTED report is that teaching standards and the general management of the 6th form classes required improvement.

The 6th form contract section 2 states that:
"2. There are several ‘reporting points’ throughout the course of the year, that if I am not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement I will be asked to leave The Highcrest Academy."

Did the teachers use the reporting points tell the students that they were not meeting the required standards? Did the teachers offer any help and advice on what they had to do to improve?

Who made the decision to tell the students to leave? Was it the class teachers or did the school management tell the teachers to dismiss their pupils? Does Highcrest have a student appraisal procedure to deal with low attainment or behaviour problems? If they have a formal appraisal procedure, was it used when making these decisions to dismiss the students?
All Highcrest did was introduce the '4 week period', this was set by the Headteacher and the senior leadership team probably. The purpose of this was to eliminate any students where they thought they would not be able to pass AS with C's and above, however 4 weeks just isnt long enough to determine this, During the 4 week period teachers did not even tell students what was required of them in order to stay, for example one teacher did not mention we had to log on to the VLE or make revision notes, then on the final day of the 4 week period a teacher bought up a table and asked us where our revision notes were, when we were not told.
[quote][p][bold]slickchick[/bold] wrote: Rowratty's quotes from the OFSTED report give a possible explanation why the 6th form students were not achieving their potential. It looks as if the schools management reaction to the report is to the blame to the students. My reading of the OFSTED report is that teaching standards and the general management of the 6th form classes required improvement. The 6th form contract section 2 states that: "2. There are several ‘reporting points’ throughout the course of the year, that if I am not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement I will be asked to leave The Highcrest Academy." Did the teachers use the reporting points tell the students that they were not meeting the required standards? Did the teachers offer any help and advice on what they had to do to improve? Who made the decision to tell the students to leave? Was it the class teachers or did the school management tell the teachers to dismiss their pupils? Does Highcrest have a student appraisal procedure to deal with low attainment or behaviour problems? If they have a formal appraisal procedure, was it used when making these decisions to dismiss the students?[/p][/quote]All Highcrest did was introduce the '4 week period', this was set by the Headteacher and the senior leadership team probably. The purpose of this was to eliminate any students where they thought they would not be able to pass AS with C's and above, however 4 weeks just isnt long enough to determine this, During the 4 week period teachers did not even tell students what was required of them in order to stay, for example one teacher did not mention we had to log on to the VLE or make revision notes, then on the final day of the 4 week period a teacher bought up a table and asked us where our revision notes were, when we were not told. User531
  • Score: 11

1:46pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Bajina says...

tottmick wrote:
Minority Report wrote:
The rules as presented are subjective, If the teacher thinks ... Not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement...If I am not putting in the effort... How are these measured, if measured by results, then the minimum result required must be state so that students know what level of attainment is required. Clause 10, specifies what attainment is required, the earlier clause should too.
All schools have rules and policies, ask any school in Wycombe - Cressex, RGS, Why Valley, etc etc. Let's look at what they have bin up to rather than carping on Highcrest all the time. I heard Cressex don't have no 6th form? What's up with those Governors up there?
Tottmick,
You are still looking at this blog?
You made a comment about me calling a conference regarding Grammar Schools. If you are serious and want to be innovative, creative, do something new, lets make contact, discuss your ideas, way forward. lets us see how far we can take this.
[quote][p][bold]tottmick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Minority Report[/bold] wrote: The rules as presented are subjective, If the teacher thinks ... Not satisfying my teachers with effort and achievement...If I am not putting in the effort... How are these measured, if measured by results, then the minimum result required must be state so that students know what level of attainment is required. Clause 10, specifies what attainment is required, the earlier clause should too.[/p][/quote]All schools have rules and policies, ask any school in Wycombe - Cressex, RGS, Why Valley, etc etc. Let's look at what they have bin up to rather than carping on Highcrest all the time. I heard Cressex don't have no 6th form? What's up with those Governors up there?[/p][/quote]Tottmick, You are still looking at this blog? You made a comment about me calling a conference regarding Grammar Schools. If you are serious and want to be innovative, creative, do something new, lets make contact, discuss your ideas, way forward. lets us see how far we can take this. Bajina
  • Score: -1

12:35am Tue 7 Jan 14

tottmick says...

Bajna, you would run a mile at the thoughtof taking on Grammar schools. Your Labour pals would be nowhere to be seen, work a bit harder and you might join the establishment yet! You are too blinkered to see that Highcrest are the innovators of Bucks.
Bajna, you would run a mile at the thoughtof taking on Grammar schools. Your Labour pals would be nowhere to be seen, work a bit harder and you might join the establishment yet! You are too blinkered to see that Highcrest are the innovators of Bucks. tottmick
  • Score: 2

7:20am Tue 7 Jan 14

Bajina says...

tottmick wrote:
Bajna, you would run a mile at the thoughtof taking on Grammar schools. Your Labour pals would be nowhere to be seen, work a bit harder and you might join the establishment yet! You are too blinkered to see that Highcrest are the innovators of Bucks.
Fair doos.
Open my horizons. Enlighten me. I am wide open.
Tell me how how these innovations work.
Also, against each innovation give me the risk assessment and impact on HW Society and the morals we are imparting on the citizens of tomorrow,
[quote][p][bold]tottmick[/bold] wrote: Bajna, you would run a mile at the thoughtof taking on Grammar schools. Your Labour pals would be nowhere to be seen, work a bit harder and you might join the establishment yet! You are too blinkered to see that Highcrest are the innovators of Bucks.[/p][/quote]Fair doos. Open my horizons. Enlighten me. I am wide open. Tell me how how these innovations work. Also, against each innovation give me the risk assessment and impact on HW Society and the morals we are imparting on the citizens of tomorrow, Bajina
  • Score: -2

1:34pm Tue 14 Jan 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

They have had similar problems in Barnet:
http://www.tes.co.uk
/teaching-resource/P
arent-anger-at-and-3
9-bizarre-and-39-dec
ision-25463/
They have had similar problems in Barnet: http://www.tes.co.uk /teaching-resource/P arent-anger-at-and-3 9-bizarre-and-39-dec ision-25463/ Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree