Justice4Paps respond to CPS decision not to press charges against officers

Justice4Paps respond to CPS decision not to press charges against officers

Justice4Paps respond to CPS decision not to press charges against officers

First published in News Bucks Free Press: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A CAMPAIGN group who has fought for action to be taken against officers who restrained Habib Ullah before he died, has said they are very disappointed with the latest verdict.

Today the CPS decided not to press charges against the five police officers involved, but the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said they will face gross misconduct hearings.

Mr Ullah, 39, died in police custody when he was stopped and searched on 3 July, 2008 in High Wycombe.

There was an IPCC investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death which concluded in December 2009.

However, the inquest into Mr Ullah’s death was abandoned in December 2010 when the coroner was informed police officers had been advised to alter parts of their statements by a solicitor.

This led to the re-opening of the IPCC investigation in order to assess the impact the new evidence had on the original investigation, which was completed in February and sent to the CPS, who gave their conclusion today.

Zia Ullah from the campaign group, Justice4Paps, said: "We are disappointed with this decision after having come so far and despite our view that clear offences were committed at the inquest in December 2010 we are surprised that the CPS have decided there is insufficient evidence to prosecute the police officers involved in Habib's death and that it is not in the public interest to do so.

"The idea of a fresh inquest into my cousin’s death does not give us much hope given what happened at the last one. Given what has happened it is hard for us and the communities in Thames Valley to have confidence in the police and their structures."

Justice4Paps are holding a press conference on Tuesday at the Arts4Every1 Centre in Desborough Road from 6 to 8pm.

Mr Ullah's sister, Nasrit Mahmood said: "We are not happy that the CPS has decided not to charge those police officers who are responsible for Habib's death.

"however the IPCC saying that there is a case to answer for around gross misconduct is a relief but there are still many questions left unanswered."

She said she does not understand how the CPS has not decided to press any charges but said the decision has made them stronger and they will continue to fight for justice for her brother.

Justice4Paps thanked the other family campaigns for their continuing support and giving them the strength to continue.

In particular they thanked United Friends and Family Campaign (UFFC) the Institute of Race Relations, 4WardEver and the Family Web Pages Collective and their volunteers for running the website and to INQUEST, the charity.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree