Iceland to return to High Wycombe

Iceland to return to High Wycombe

Iceland to return to High Wycombe

Iceland and Poundworld are expected to move into Red Lion House

First published in Business News Bucks Free Press: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

SUPERMARKET chain Iceland will open a new store in place of the historic Woolworths site in High Wycombe - five years after it was forced out of the town by Eden.

Iceland submitted a planning application to move into one half of the historic Red Lion House in the High Street, which once played home to Woolies, to Wycombe District Council last Wednesday.

The council say they are mulling over the application but Iceland told the Bucks Free Press today that it is confident a new store will open, with March 18, 2010 given as the hopeful launch date.

The supermarket chain was driven out of its Desborough Road base in 2005 to make room for the Eden shopping centre redevelopment.

WDC also confirmed it has approved a planning application from Poundworld for the other side of the former Woolies site – paving the way for the chain to move in.

Devonshire Metro Ltd, the company that owns Red Lion House, was given the go ahead by the council to divide the existing property into two separate retail units last month.

The news comes hot on the heels of the opening of lingerie retailer Ann Summers in Eden today.

Related links

Cosmetics giant Lush hopes to have its new Eden store open in time for Christmas, while children's music and learning centre, Gymboree, also announced today that it expects to move into the shopping centre in the new year.

Budget supermarket chain Lidl will hold a public open day at the Green Street Youth and Community Centre in Desborough Street between 3-6pm on Wednesday, December 2.

The company will be sampling products and showcasing plans for a proposed 'neighbourhood food store' in Desborough Road before deciding on whether to submit a planning application to the council.

Town centre manager Melanie Williams, from the High Wycombe Town Centre Partnership, said: “This is brilliant news.

"It was always going to take some time before the units started to fill up, but it's great news for the town.”

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:02pm Wed 25 Nov 09

ferrellcat says...

My word, Lidl and icelands.not sure bout high st though you cant park and places like iceland generally go for 10 in a pack type items.We could turn into a town of weight lifters
My word, Lidl and icelands.not sure bout high st though you cant park and places like iceland generally go for 10 in a pack type items.We could turn into a town of weight lifters ferrellcat
  • Score: 0

7:31pm Wed 25 Nov 09

sportsturf says...

i must agree with ferrellcat....IMO its not the ideal location for an Iceland shop, due to the volume of purchase, its not as though most of the customers pop in there for 1 pack of an item, as ferrellcat says its normally a multi-pack so ideally it needs a decent carpark adjacent to it...and the one at the rear isnt too large if i recall,
i must agree with ferrellcat....IMO its not the ideal location for an Iceland shop, due to the volume of purchase, its not as though most of the customers pop in there for 1 pack of an item, as ferrellcat says its normally a multi-pack so ideally it needs a decent carpark adjacent to it...and the one at the rear isnt too large if i recall, sportsturf
  • Score: 0

7:35pm Wed 25 Nov 09

SDJones says...

thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last
thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last SDJones
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Wed 25 Nov 09

dooza says...

Such a shame that a historic building gets split in 2, just so that we have frozen food and cheap stuff.

If you combined the ground floor and first floor you could have an amazing venue, for theatre or music or any kind of performance. Its ideal.
Such a shame that a historic building gets split in 2, just so that we have frozen food and cheap stuff. If you combined the ground floor and first floor you could have an amazing venue, for theatre or music or any kind of performance. Its ideal. dooza
  • Score: 0

8:04pm Wed 25 Nov 09

sportsturf says...

i would agree with dooza too...but i suppose the authorities have covered the entertainment angle, with 2 cinemas in the area, and the Swan theatre..id be interested to see how they are splitting the woolies plot, is it side by side, or upper and lower floor...it would make sense for Iceland to go on the upper floor and then it would be easier to have a parking/loading area for users of Iceland...as there is already a car park at the rear...
i would agree with dooza too...but i suppose the authorities have covered the entertainment angle, with 2 cinemas in the area, and the Swan theatre..id be interested to see how they are splitting the woolies plot, is it side by side, or upper and lower floor...it would make sense for Iceland to go on the upper floor and then it would be easier to have a parking/loading area for users of Iceland...as there is already a car park at the rear... sportsturf
  • Score: 0

8:28pm Wed 25 Nov 09

bexs60 says...

Fantastic news, parking issue with Iceland shouldnt be much of a problem as there is a big car park around the back where the deliveries used to go when it was woolies, and staff parking, and if you spend over £25.00's in Iceland they deliver it for free so again parking is not an issue. Not so sure about Poundlound, but they are a very succesful company around the Country so we can but give them a go, and Lidl - Brilliant - looking forward to the changes.
Fantastic news, parking issue with Iceland shouldnt be much of a problem as there is a big car park around the back where the deliveries used to go when it was woolies, and staff parking, and if you spend over £25.00's in Iceland they deliver it for free so again parking is not an issue. Not so sure about Poundlound, but they are a very succesful company around the Country so we can but give them a go, and Lidl - Brilliant - looking forward to the changes. bexs60
  • Score: 0

8:29pm Wed 25 Nov 09

bexs60 says...

That was supposed to say Poundland!
That was supposed to say Poundland! bexs60
  • Score: 0

8:32pm Wed 25 Nov 09

Plus ça change... says...

Who cares where it goes.

Just fill Wycombe up.

One of everything please.
Who cares where it goes. Just fill Wycombe up. One of everything please. Plus ça change...
  • Score: 0

8:35pm Wed 25 Nov 09

demoness says...

SDJones wrote:
thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last
what?????????

[quote][p][bold]SDJones[/bold] wrote: thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last[/p][/quote]what????????? demoness
  • Score: 0

9:29pm Wed 25 Nov 09

chris740 says...

that's great news. about time.
get the high street back on it's feet
that's great news. about time. get the high street back on it's feet chris740
  • Score: 0

9:51pm Wed 25 Nov 09

am i the only one says...

Nice to Iceland back, six months after they replied to my email that would not be moving into woolies !!?
Nice to Iceland back, six months after they replied to my email that would not be moving into woolies !!? am i the only one
  • Score: 0

12:04am Thu 26 Nov 09

iworld says...

It is good ot hear of a strong High street name returning to Wycombe. I believe that WDC can do a lot more to help the High street and enable the big names to return to the High street. WDC need to slash rates on rent and offer bette incentives.

Eden can remain the premium sector of town and a cash cow for the council - but more can be done!

I am sure the high street will return - otherwise we can rename it low street.
It is good ot hear of a strong High street name returning to Wycombe. I believe that WDC can do a lot more to help the High street and enable the big names to return to the High street. WDC need to slash rates on rent and offer bette incentives. Eden can remain the premium sector of town and a cash cow for the council - but more can be done! I am sure the high street will return - otherwise we can rename it low street. iworld
  • Score: 0

7:54am Thu 26 Nov 09

Lorrainej says...

demoness wrote:
SDJones wrote: thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last
what?????????
My thoughts exactly
[quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SDJones[/bold] wrote: thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last[/p][/quote]what????????? [/p][/quote]My thoughts exactly Lorrainej
  • Score: 0

8:45am Thu 26 Nov 09

demoness says...

Lorrainej wrote:
demoness wrote:
SDJones wrote: thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last
what?????????
My thoughts exactly
I once made the mistake of buying food there for my daughter's 18th birthday party as it was cheap and I was catering for loads.
NEVER again - ever. Nasty cheap food. I actually DO care what I put iin my family's stomach which is why this Mum never goes to Iceland.
I wouldn't go there anyway on principle as the advert is sexist and patronising in the extreme.
Horrible place but that's fine,the masses can go to Iceland and the poundstretchers. Me - I'll stick to Eden thank you.
[quote][p][bold]Lorrainej[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SDJones[/bold] wrote: thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last[/p][/quote]what????????? [/p][/quote]My thoughts exactly[/p][/quote]I once made the mistake of buying food there for my daughter's 18th birthday party as it was cheap and I was catering for loads. NEVER again - ever. Nasty cheap food. I actually DO care what I put iin my family's stomach which is why this Mum never goes to Iceland. I wouldn't go there anyway on principle as the advert is sexist and patronising in the extreme. Horrible place but that's fine,the masses can go to Iceland and the poundstretchers. Me - I'll stick to Eden thank you. demoness
  • Score: 0

8:47am Thu 26 Nov 09

lopez78 says...

I think its a great idea to bring Iceland back to Wycombe. My only concerns would be the parking issue, as people tend to do a big freezer shop. There Would also be an issue with Iceland trolleys being left all over the town centre carparks.
I think its a great idea to bring Iceland back to Wycombe. My only concerns would be the parking issue, as people tend to do a big freezer shop. There Would also be an issue with Iceland trolleys being left all over the town centre carparks. lopez78
  • Score: 0

8:49am Thu 26 Nov 09

Lorrainej says...

demoness wrote:
Lorrainej wrote:
demoness wrote:
SDJones wrote: thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last
what?????????
My thoughts exactly
I once made the mistake of buying food there for my daughter's 18th birthday party as it was cheap and I was catering for loads. NEVER again - ever. Nasty cheap food. I actually DO care what I put iin my family's stomach which is why this Mum never goes to Iceland. I wouldn't go there anyway on principle as the advert is sexist and patronising in the extreme. Horrible place but that's fine,the masses can go to Iceland and the poundstretchers. Me - I'll stick to Eden thank you.
Yes Iceland stuff is a bit grusome, went there about 6 years ago in Amersham, If I remeber coffee was a good price, but then you buy some of the other stuff, I can't see how its cheaper, when either some of it is inedible or you have to bin the whole lot. Not been to Lidl or Aldi, what are they like.
[quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lorrainej[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SDJones[/bold] wrote: thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last[/p][/quote]what????????? [/p][/quote]My thoughts exactly[/p][/quote]I once made the mistake of buying food there for my daughter's 18th birthday party as it was cheap and I was catering for loads. NEVER again - ever. Nasty cheap food. I actually DO care what I put iin my family's stomach which is why this Mum never goes to Iceland. I wouldn't go there anyway on principle as the advert is sexist and patronising in the extreme. Horrible place but that's fine,the masses can go to Iceland and the poundstretchers. Me - I'll stick to Eden thank you.[/p][/quote]Yes Iceland stuff is a bit grusome, went there about 6 years ago in Amersham, If I remeber coffee was a good price, but then you buy some of the other stuff, I can't see how its cheaper, when either some of it is inedible or you have to bin the whole lot. Not been to Lidl or Aldi, what are they like. Lorrainej
  • Score: 0

8:52am Thu 26 Nov 09

lopez78 says...

I personally want to see a Bingo hall come to Wycombe.
I personally want to see a Bingo hall come to Wycombe. lopez78
  • Score: 0

9:08am Thu 26 Nov 09

Steve Totteridge Hill says...

But will they pay back all the money our esteemed council invested in their banks...or is that a different Iceland??? ;-)
But will they pay back all the money our esteemed council invested in their banks...or is that a different Iceland??? ;-) Steve Totteridge Hill
  • Score: 0

9:11am Thu 26 Nov 09

Lorrainej says...

Steve Totteridge Hill wrote:
But will they pay back all the money our esteemed council invested in their banks...or is that a different Iceland??? ;-)
Doh!
[quote][p][bold]Steve Totteridge Hill[/bold] wrote: But will they pay back all the money our esteemed council invested in their banks...or is that a different Iceland??? ;-)[/p][/quote]Doh! Lorrainej
  • Score: 0

9:21am Thu 26 Nov 09

Anita21072 says...

Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands
Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands Anita21072
  • Score: 0

9:51am Thu 26 Nov 09

demoness says...

Anita21072 wrote:
Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands
So it doesn't bother you that those chickens most probably were sourced from abroad, stuffed full of antibiotics and other nasties and treated in appalling conditions?

Ironically cheap food always comes at a price - well sorry it is a price that morally I am not prepared to pay.
[quote][p][bold]Anita21072[/bold] wrote: Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands[/p][/quote]So it doesn't bother you that those chickens most probably were sourced from abroad, stuffed full of antibiotics and other nasties and treated in appalling conditions? Ironically cheap food always comes at a price - well sorry it is a price that morally I am not prepared to pay. demoness
  • Score: 0

11:05am Thu 26 Nov 09

Red Fred says...

Well I for one would like to welcome them back to the town and the jobs they will create. The only real downside I can see to the store on the High St has been identified already as weight of shopping and parking facilities.

As for chickens and the conditions they are reared in, yes, it is a concern, but then isn't it the same for anywhere that sells chickens ?

Well I for one would like to welcome them back to the town and the jobs they will create. The only real downside I can see to the store on the High St has been identified already as weight of shopping and parking facilities. As for chickens and the conditions they are reared in, yes, it is a concern, but then isn't it the same for anywhere that sells chickens ? Red Fred
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Thu 26 Nov 09

cressexpert says...

What a classy place Wycombe is! Anne Summers one day, Iceland the next - we are really on top of the must visit!!
What a classy place Wycombe is! Anne Summers one day, Iceland the next - we are really on top of the must visit!! cressexpert
  • Score: 0

1:04pm Thu 26 Nov 09

Kadoogan says...

The Woolworths site would have made for a great indoor market, or a live music venue (the Swan only seems to cater for tribute acts or bands that were big in the 60's), but we end up with Iceland and another pound shop?

What a complete waste of time the High Street and Wycombe in general is becoming. Eden is OK but to really enjoy it you seem to need to be a female with a load of disposable income for clothes and shoes.

I can't think of another high street in a similar sized town that has so little to recommend it.
The Woolworths site would have made for a great indoor market, or a live music venue (the Swan only seems to cater for tribute acts or bands that were big in the 60's), but we end up with Iceland and another pound shop? What a complete waste of time the High Street and Wycombe in general is becoming. Eden is OK but to really enjoy it you seem to need to be a female with a load of disposable income for clothes and shoes. I can't think of another high street in a similar sized town that has so little to recommend it. Kadoogan
  • Score: 0

2:00pm Thu 26 Nov 09

J B Blackett says...

Kadoogan wrote:
The Woolworths site would have made for a great indoor market, or a live music venue (the Swan only seems to cater for tribute acts or bands that were big in the 60's), but we end up with Iceland and another pound shop?

What a complete waste of time the High Street and Wycombe in general is becoming. Eden is OK but to really enjoy it you seem to need to be a female with a load of disposable income for clothes and shoes.

I can't think of another high street in a similar sized town that has so little to recommend it.
I hate to think you may be correct, Kadoogan and Wycombe is not alone in this regard
.
It seems to be part of a long-term trend. The 'High Street' loses hotels , banks, well-known chainstores , bakers etc and gets more and more pound shops and their ilk , charity shops , Argos , bookies , Iceland (Big Food Group) , fast food outlets etc.
.
It's all part of a trend of the centre of gravity (ie shopping / entertainment ) being displaced westward as part of a gradual historical shift. Local history books show that Easton St was once a thriving commercial area. Now virtually defunct for shopping.
.
You can not, sadly , stop the clock , even less reverse it , even if some people are upset by the change. It's all driven by demographics and commercial/business interests.
.
Regards
[quote][p][bold]Kadoogan[/bold] wrote: The Woolworths site would have made for a great indoor market, or a live music venue (the Swan only seems to cater for tribute acts or bands that were big in the 60's), but we end up with Iceland and another pound shop? What a complete waste of time the High Street and Wycombe in general is becoming. Eden is OK but to really enjoy it you seem to need to be a female with a load of disposable income for clothes and shoes. I can't think of another high street in a similar sized town that has so little to recommend it.[/p][/quote]I hate to think you may be correct, Kadoogan and Wycombe is not alone in this regard . It seems to be part of a long-term trend. The 'High Street' loses hotels , banks, well-known chainstores , bakers etc and gets more and more pound shops and their ilk , charity shops , Argos , bookies , Iceland (Big Food Group) , fast food outlets etc. . It's all part of a trend of the centre of gravity (ie shopping / entertainment ) being displaced westward as part of a gradual historical shift. Local history books show that Easton St was once a thriving commercial area. Now virtually defunct for shopping. . You can not, sadly , stop the clock , even less reverse it , even if some people are upset by the change. It's all driven by demographics and commercial/business interests. . Regards J B Blackett
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Thu 26 Nov 09

DeepThinker says...

At least someone is moving in.
-
Retailers are just like children before Christmas. Kids see a toy advertised on the TV, or hear their friends talk about getting something, and they must have it for Christmas. They don't want to "miss out".
-
Retailers see a new developement and they must get in their. They don't want to "miss out".
-
Unfortunately that means that in Wycombe new shops, and some existing ones, move into the Eden Centre. Frogmoor, High Street, White Hart Street, Easton Street, Amersham Hill below the station, etc, continue to degenerate.
-
It is called "progress" - just like it was called "progress" when The Octagon was built in the 60s, and the degeneration of shopping streets to the east started.
At least someone is moving in. - Retailers are just like children before Christmas. Kids see a toy advertised on the TV, or hear their friends talk about getting something, and they must have it for Christmas. They don't want to "miss out". - Retailers see a new developement and they must get in their. They don't want to "miss out". - Unfortunately that means that in Wycombe new shops, and some existing ones, move into the Eden Centre. Frogmoor, High Street, White Hart Street, Easton Street, Amersham Hill below the station, etc, continue to degenerate. - It is called "progress" - just like it was called "progress" when The Octagon was built in the 60s, and the degeneration of shopping streets to the east started. DeepThinker
  • Score: 0

8:39am Fri 27 Nov 09

demoness says...

Red Fred wrote:
Well I for one would like to welcome them back to the town and the jobs they will create. The only real downside I can see to the store on the High St has been identified already as weight of shopping and parking facilities. As for chickens and the conditions they are reared in, yes, it is a concern, but then isn't it the same for anywhere that sells chickens ?
Hi fred - yes absolutely. Which is why I rarely but chicken and when I do, it is free range organic. :)
[quote][p][bold]Red Fred[/bold] wrote: Well I for one would like to welcome them back to the town and the jobs they will create. The only real downside I can see to the store on the High St has been identified already as weight of shopping and parking facilities. As for chickens and the conditions they are reared in, yes, it is a concern, but then isn't it the same for anywhere that sells chickens ? [/p][/quote]Hi fred - yes absolutely. Which is why I rarely but chicken and when I do, it is free range organic. :) demoness
  • Score: 0

9:34am Fri 27 Nov 09

frankbutcher says...

demoness wrote:
Anita21072 wrote: Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands
So it doesn't bother you that those chickens most probably were sourced from abroad, stuffed full of antibiotics and other nasties and treated in appalling conditions? Ironically cheap food always comes at a price - well sorry it is a price that morally I am not prepared to pay.
so what. chickens don't need en suite bathrooms & a conservatory. think about the people that don't have the money for m&s simply food. some people have to look for the most affordable food & how the chicken was reared is irrelevant, feeding the family is key. iceland is good for that, it offers value for money. if the mrs wants to shop there she is more than welcome, as long as my dinner is on the table when i get in from work & it isn't burnt....

--------------------
------------


[quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Anita21072[/bold] wrote: Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands[/p][/quote]So it doesn't bother you that those chickens most probably were sourced from abroad, stuffed full of antibiotics and other nasties and treated in appalling conditions? Ironically cheap food always comes at a price - well sorry it is a price that morally I am not prepared to pay.[/p][/quote]so what. chickens don't need en suite bathrooms & a conservatory. think about the people that don't have the money for m&s simply food. some people have to look for the most affordable food & how the chicken was reared is irrelevant, feeding the family is key. iceland is good for that, it offers value for money. if the mrs wants to shop there she is more than welcome, as long as my dinner is on the table when i get in from work & it isn't burnt.... -------------------- ------------ frankbutcher
  • Score: 0

10:27am Fri 27 Nov 09

demoness says...

frankbutcher wrote:
demoness wrote:
Anita21072 wrote: Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands
So it doesn't bother you that those chickens most probably were sourced from abroad, stuffed full of antibiotics and other nasties and treated in appalling conditions? Ironically cheap food always comes at a price - well sorry it is a price that morally I am not prepared to pay.
so what. chickens don't need en suite bathrooms & a conservatory. think about the people that don't have the money for m&s simply food. some people have to look for the most affordable food & how the chicken was reared is irrelevant, feeding the family is key. iceland is good for that, it offers value for money. if the mrs wants to shop there she is more than welcome, as long as my dinner is on the table when i get in from work & it isn't burnt.... -------------------- ------------
It isn't irrelevant - when you think of what is stuffed down the chicken's neck... hormones, anti biotics, all sorts of nasties.
You don't need to have loads of money to eat healthily or ethically. You just need to be able to cook. Sadly most people can't be bothered to do that nowadays hence the success of revolting places like Iceland and the reason why obesity is on the up in our kids.
[quote][p][bold]frankbutcher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Anita21072[/bold] wrote: Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands[/p][/quote]So it doesn't bother you that those chickens most probably were sourced from abroad, stuffed full of antibiotics and other nasties and treated in appalling conditions? Ironically cheap food always comes at a price - well sorry it is a price that morally I am not prepared to pay.[/p][/quote]so what. chickens don't need en suite bathrooms & a conservatory. think about the people that don't have the money for m&s simply food. some people have to look for the most affordable food & how the chicken was reared is irrelevant, feeding the family is key. iceland is good for that, it offers value for money. if the mrs wants to shop there she is more than welcome, as long as my dinner is on the table when i get in from work & it isn't burnt.... -------------------- ------------ [/p][/quote]It isn't irrelevant - when you think of what is stuffed down the chicken's neck... hormones, anti biotics, all sorts of nasties. You don't need to have loads of money to eat healthily or ethically. You just need to be able to cook. Sadly most people can't be bothered to do that nowadays hence the success of revolting places like Iceland and the reason why obesity is on the up in our kids. demoness
  • Score: 0

10:31am Fri 27 Nov 09

curiouser and curiouser says...

Steve Totteridge Hill wrote:
But will they pay back all the money our esteemed council invested in their banks...or is that a different Iceland??? ;-)
:) Very good, Steve!
[quote][p][bold]Steve Totteridge Hill[/bold] wrote: But will they pay back all the money our esteemed council invested in their banks...or is that a different Iceland??? ;-)[/p][/quote]:) Very good, Steve! curiouser and curiouser
  • Score: 0

10:40am Fri 27 Nov 09

curiouser and curiouser says...

What food snobbery I hear! I personaly buy free range meat for my family because we can afford to at the moment, but noone knows what's round the corner- any one of us could lose our jobs tomorrow. So who are we to judge what food other parents feed their children? And I heard that the deserts from Iceland are tasty!
What food snobbery I hear! I personaly buy free range meat for my family because we can afford to at the moment, but noone knows what's round the corner- any one of us could lose our jobs tomorrow. So who are we to judge what food other parents feed their children? And I heard that the deserts from Iceland are tasty! curiouser and curiouser
  • Score: 0

10:51am Fri 27 Nov 09

frankbutcher says...

demoness wrote:
frankbutcher wrote:
demoness wrote:
Anita21072 wrote: Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands
So it doesn't bother you that those chickens most probably were sourced from abroad, stuffed full of antibiotics and other nasties and treated in appalling conditions? Ironically cheap food always comes at a price - well sorry it is a price that morally I am not prepared to pay.
so what. chickens don't need en suite bathrooms & a conservatory. think about the people that don't have the money for m&s simply food. some people have to look for the most affordable food & how the chicken was reared is irrelevant, feeding the family is key. iceland is good for that, it offers value for money. if the mrs wants to shop there she is more than welcome, as long as my dinner is on the table when i get in from work & it isn't burnt.... -------------------- ------------
It isn't irrelevant - when you think of what is stuffed down the chicken's neck... hormones, anti biotics, all sorts of nasties. You don't need to have loads of money to eat healthily or ethically. You just need to be able to cook. Sadly most people can't be bothered to do that nowadays hence the success of revolting places like Iceland and the reason why obesity is on the up in our kids.
i agree, to eat healthily you do not need to spend extra but ethical eating is certainly more expensive. remember, although you do not need 'loads of money', people do have to budget & as much as they would like to buy the ethical produce, cost does come into it. £5 to somebody with few money worries is a whole lot more to someone on a budget, especially when the food tastes pretty much the same... chickens are chickens, as long as they aren't fed excrement or human/animal remains then i don't really care... watch out for doner kebab meat though, that is some messed up stuff....
[quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]frankbutcher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Anita21072[/bold] wrote: Finally an iceland back. When ours closed I had to start using Marlow, Then they shut that down so I had to start using Amersham and Maidenhead. I think they offer a great selection and the food has certainly improved for example a box of 4 garlic and herb breadcrumb chicken breasts is only a£1 and my family love them and think they taste better than the leading brands[/p][/quote]So it doesn't bother you that those chickens most probably were sourced from abroad, stuffed full of antibiotics and other nasties and treated in appalling conditions? Ironically cheap food always comes at a price - well sorry it is a price that morally I am not prepared to pay.[/p][/quote]so what. chickens don't need en suite bathrooms & a conservatory. think about the people that don't have the money for m&s simply food. some people have to look for the most affordable food & how the chicken was reared is irrelevant, feeding the family is key. iceland is good for that, it offers value for money. if the mrs wants to shop there she is more than welcome, as long as my dinner is on the table when i get in from work & it isn't burnt.... -------------------- ------------ [/p][/quote]It isn't irrelevant - when you think of what is stuffed down the chicken's neck... hormones, anti biotics, all sorts of nasties. You don't need to have loads of money to eat healthily or ethically. You just need to be able to cook. Sadly most people can't be bothered to do that nowadays hence the success of revolting places like Iceland and the reason why obesity is on the up in our kids.[/p][/quote]i agree, to eat healthily you do not need to spend extra but ethical eating is certainly more expensive. remember, although you do not need 'loads of money', people do have to budget & as much as they would like to buy the ethical produce, cost does come into it. £5 to somebody with few money worries is a whole lot more to someone on a budget, especially when the food tastes pretty much the same... chickens are chickens, as long as they aren't fed excrement or human/animal remains then i don't really care... watch out for doner kebab meat though, that is some messed up stuff.... frankbutcher
  • Score: 0

2:08pm Fri 27 Nov 09

Gailxx says...

you could have the same remarks about MacDonalds food (I hate to think what goes in them!!)but it's a place all young people seem to love (god knows why)!! lol -- mothers do not force their kids to go there but they do, so really how can Iceland be any worse?
It is good for people without transport, because of their deliveries etc. so I, for one, will use them. You can still buy potatoes, eggs, cheese, bottles of soft drinks etc. etc. (all heavy goods the same as other stores) and it will be delivered!! ie. the kelloggs cereals, whiska's cat food, Coca Kola are all the same wherever you shop!
I am really looking forward to it opening and it will also make the high street more interesting than the odd shop it has now.
you could have the same remarks about MacDonalds food (I hate to think what goes in them!!)but it's a place all young people seem to love (god knows why)!! lol -- mothers do not force their kids to go there but they do, so really how can Iceland be any worse? It is good for people without transport, because of their deliveries etc. so I, for one, will use them. You can still buy potatoes, eggs, cheese, bottles of soft drinks etc. etc. (all heavy goods the same as other stores) and it will be delivered!! ie. the kelloggs cereals, whiska's cat food, Coca Kola are all the same wherever you shop! I am really looking forward to it opening and it will also make the high street more interesting than the odd shop it has now. Gailxx
  • Score: 0

2:12pm Fri 27 Nov 09

Red Fred says...

demoness wrote:
Red Fred wrote: Well I for one would like to welcome them back to the town and the jobs they will create. The only real downside I can see to the store on the High St has been identified already as weight of shopping and parking facilities. As for chickens and the conditions they are reared in, yes, it is a concern, but then isn't it the same for anywhere that sells chickens ?
Hi fred - yes absolutely. Which is why I rarely but chicken and when I do, it is free range organic. :)
And while I totally agree, Smiley about ethical and sustainable food sourcing, some people just can't afford it and have to feed a family on a budget. It's all just about choice and variety really. Having looked at them a bit more closely, they do have policies against commercial whaling and don't source, for example, prawns from Norway. Also I remember them trading many years ago on the fact that their foods were non GM, so maybe they are not all bad eh?

Where I do have a problem is when people complain about so called processed foods at well established supermarkets and then buy God only knows what from a kebab van! Unbelievably some are actually sober when they do.
[quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red Fred[/bold] wrote: Well I for one would like to welcome them back to the town and the jobs they will create. The only real downside I can see to the store on the High St has been identified already as weight of shopping and parking facilities. As for chickens and the conditions they are reared in, yes, it is a concern, but then isn't it the same for anywhere that sells chickens ? [/p][/quote]Hi fred - yes absolutely. Which is why I rarely but chicken and when I do, it is free range organic. :)[/p][/quote]And while I totally agree, Smiley about ethical and sustainable food sourcing, some people just can't afford it and have to feed a family on a budget. It's all just about choice and variety really. Having looked at them a bit more closely, they do have policies against commercial whaling and don't source, for example, prawns from Norway. Also I remember them trading many years ago on the fact that their foods were non GM, so maybe they are not all bad eh? Where I do have a problem is when people complain about so called processed foods at well established supermarkets and then buy God only knows what from a kebab van! Unbelievably some are actually sober when they do. Red Fred
  • Score: 0

10:27am Sat 28 Nov 09

clairabella says...

I've realy enjoyed reading your comment.wanted to let you know I've opened a new shop in white hart street called clairabella.
We are a local family run independant gift shop
We wanted to bring something differrent to town.
Local arts and crafts also available.

I would love to know what you think also what else would you like to see in town

I've realy enjoyed reading your comment.wanted to let you know I've opened a new shop in white hart street called clairabella. We are a local family run independant gift shop We wanted to bring something differrent to town. Local arts and crafts also available. I would love to know what you think also what else would you like to see in town clairabella
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Sat 28 Nov 09

deecee01 says...

Lorrainej wrote:
demoness wrote:
Lorrainej wrote:
demoness wrote:
SDJones wrote: thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last
what?????????
My thoughts exactly
I once made the mistake of buying food there for my daughter's 18th birthday party as it was cheap and I was catering for loads. NEVER again - ever. Nasty cheap food. I actually DO care what I put iin my family's stomach which is why this Mum never goes to Iceland. I wouldn't go there anyway on principle as the advert is sexist and patronising in the extreme. Horrible place but that's fine,the masses can go to Iceland and the poundstretchers. Me - I'll stick to Eden thank you.
Yes Iceland stuff is a bit grusome, went there about 6 years ago in Amersham, If I remeber coffee was a good price, but then you buy some of the other stuff, I can't see how its cheaper, when either some of it is inedible or you have to bin the whole lot. Not been to Lidl or Aldi, what are they like.
Aldi and Lidl sell very good quality food, so I am looking forward to Lidl hopefully coming to Wycombe, would rather have a Lidl than Iceland, but can see that Iceland will appeal to some people and the location on the High Street would also appeal to Iceland shoppers. Can see a demand for those pull along shopping trolleys for people to lug their Iceland shopping back to the bus station or car parks!
[quote][p][bold]Lorrainej[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lorrainej[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demoness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SDJones[/bold] wrote: thats great some good names moving into wycombe at last[/p][/quote]what????????? [/p][/quote]My thoughts exactly[/p][/quote]I once made the mistake of buying food there for my daughter's 18th birthday party as it was cheap and I was catering for loads. NEVER again - ever. Nasty cheap food. I actually DO care what I put iin my family's stomach which is why this Mum never goes to Iceland. I wouldn't go there anyway on principle as the advert is sexist and patronising in the extreme. Horrible place but that's fine,the masses can go to Iceland and the poundstretchers. Me - I'll stick to Eden thank you.[/p][/quote]Yes Iceland stuff is a bit grusome, went there about 6 years ago in Amersham, If I remeber coffee was a good price, but then you buy some of the other stuff, I can't see how its cheaper, when either some of it is inedible or you have to bin the whole lot. Not been to Lidl or Aldi, what are they like.[/p][/quote]Aldi and Lidl sell very good quality food, so I am looking forward to Lidl hopefully coming to Wycombe, would rather have a Lidl than Iceland, but can see that Iceland will appeal to some people and the location on the High Street would also appeal to Iceland shoppers. Can see a demand for those pull along shopping trolleys for people to lug their Iceland shopping back to the bus station or car parks! deecee01
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree