A pensioner accused of murdering an elderly pedestrian in a road rage attack on a zebra crossing denied both murder and manslaughter today.

White-haired Odysseus Vafiadis spoke only to confirm his name to the court before the charges were read out to him.

The murder suspect, who hobbled into the court room on a single crutch, listened intently to the charges which accused him of murdering pensioner Paul Davidson in Chalfont St Peter last November.

Dressed in a blue jumper and a blue striped shirt, the 70-year-old responded to say "not guilty" to both of the charges before taking his seat again.

Vafiadis allegedly confronted 69-year-old Mr Davidson as he stepped out onto a pedestrian crossing in Market Place, on Friday, November 6.

It was said that he attacked the pedestrian before driving away in a white Skoda Yeti.

Mr Davidson was treated at hospital, but died three days later as a result of the injuries he sustained.

Vafiadis was arrested and charged by Thames Valley Police following two days of questioning and remanded in custody at HMP Woodhill. However, he was later released on bail subject to strict conditions.

Addressing the judge at Reading Crown Court, Jon Swain, defending Vafiadis, asked if his client could return to his home address in Birchdale, Chalfont St Peter, to be with his wife.

Mr Swain said: "It may be that the defendant's wife is there on her own and he is anxious about that situation.

"We have not formally applied to do that today.

"It could be that there is a condition that he is not to go within a proximity of where this particular incident happened."

Judge John Reddihough told the defence counsel that he would have to make a formal application to the court before his client's bail conditions could be changed.

Vafiadis currently lives in Uxbridge, so he can seek specialist treatment for a medical condition.

Prosecuting, Ian Hope added: "The trial date is fixed for September 5. I think the time estimate is two to three weeks.

"It may well be it will be completed in two weeks but it could easily go into a third week."

Vafiadis denied one count of murder and a single count of manslaughter.

The judge ordered him to return to the same court in September for the beginning of his trial.