Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Scorched Canada Goose causes fire
A GOOSE brought down a high voltage electricity cable causing fires in a Little Marlow field.
Firefighters from Marlow were called out to the field near Fern Lane and ensured the affected wires, close to a home, did not pose any harm to residents.
The electrocuted adult Canadian Goose died, suffering severe burns from crashing into the wires, and the area had to be cordoned off to protect runners on a nearby footpath.
Watch Manager Richard Boast told the Marlow Free Press: "The high powered cable had come down and was still live and was causing little fires because it was so dry.
"The farmer had cut the corn already so there was only stubble left.
"There was four or five fires that it started and one of the cables was next to a hedge, next to the last house in Fern Lane so, just to be sure we waited for the electrical company and cordoned it off.
"The telegraph pole it was attached to was in the hedgerow in someone's property.
"There's a footpath there so there were runners around and we didn't want people getting near the wires."
The animal's body was found by firefighters on Saturday morning.
Mr Boast said: "The goose had a burn mark through its chest and its wings were scorched. He was probably flying along and all the other geese were looking around and saying 'where's Fred?'
"It was a power cable, a slightly smaller one and slack, going across the field. I think where it hit it at force, probably when it crossed it touched the other cable and completed the circuit and that was that."
It was an unusual job to attend, he admitted, saying: "I've not come across this before, it's the first time."
An engineer isolated the electrical supply while the firemen doused the flames using water backpacks.
Comments are closed on this article.