Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Bucks Fire service gives tips on staying safe this Xmas
FIREFIGHTERS are reminding resident they will be on hand to step in to any emergencies in Bucks over the Christmas period – but have issued safety advice to help people keep dangerous mishaps at bay.
Last Christmas Day, Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service was called out to 20 incidents, including two kitchen fires. The previous year there were 30 incidents, including a turkey on fire in an oven and a Christmas pudding that had been microwaved for too long.
Assistant Chief Fire Officer Jason Thelwell, Director of Public Safety, said: “Although we are always there when you need us in an emergency, we hope your celebrations will go without a hitch.
“It can be so chaotic in some homes on the big day that it is easy for your concentration to slip and for something untoward to happen.
“By following a few simple pieces of advice, you can give yourself the best possible chance of making sure that it’s a safe holiday as well as a happy one.”
If you don’t have smoke alarms, and you are looking for a New Year resolution, make 2013 the year you contact Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service for free home safety check. Just ring 01296 744477 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason’s top tips for a disaster-free festive period are:
• Don’t overdo it with your favourite tipple while you are cooking! The risk of accidents, especially in the kitchen, is greater after alcohol is consumed.
• If there are any smokers in your house, make sure they put out their cigarettes properly and are careful with matches and lighters.
• Make sure your family and any visitors staying for the holidays know what to do in an emergency. Practise a fire escape plan.
• Switch off electrical appliances when not in use, unless they're designed to stay on. Always switch off and unplug Christmas lights before you go to bed.
• Never place candles near your Christmas tree, furnishings or decorations. Don't leave them burning unattended.
• Use the festive period as a reminder to carry out a weekly check on your smoke alarm. Test the battery and remove any dust from the alarm.
• Celebrating with fireworks? Then store them in a metal box, read the instructions, never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.
• Drive carefully if you are visiting friends or relatives - allow plenty of time for the journey, and check on the latest traffic and weather information.
• Finally, take the time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours – make sure they are safe from the risk of a fire.
Comments are closed on this article.