Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Boiled egg causes fire scare
7:51pm Sunday 6th January 2013 in News
A BOILED egg was responsible for a scare at a block of flats, prompting a warning from fire chiefs.
Crews from Gerrards Cross fire station were among those called out to Denham after a resident smelled smoke and heard a fire alarm going off.
A neighbour went to investigate and checked through the letter box.
It transpired that a resident, living on the seventh floor of Denham Lodge in Oxford Road, had gone out having forgotten they had left an egg boiling in a pan of water on a halogen hob, on Thursday.
Firefighters got to the flat at 4pm and said the egg had boiled dry.
Watch Manager Denis Melia from Gerrards Cross Fire Station said: “Fortunately it didn’t cause much damage, but it serves to remind everyone how important it is to check that appliances are turned off when they go out, and that cooking is not left unattended.
“More than half of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen, and sometimes all it takes is a moment’s distraction.”
Hillingdon and Ruislip fire crews also attended.
The smoke alarm that alerted the neighbour was one that had been fitted by Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service during a safety initiative at the 10-storey building in 2010. Firefighters carried out free safety checks in a number of flats, and fitted free smoke alarms, after residents responded to an offer in a leaflet distributed by Gerrards Cross Fire Station.
If you would like to book one of these free safety checks, ring 01296 744477 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments are closed on this article.