Vascular surgery heading for 'disaster', Steve Baker tells the Commons

Image from BBC iPlayer

Image from BBC iPlayer

First published in News by

A “BLATANT rejection” of clinical evidence means vascular services for Bucks patients are heading for disaster, the House of Commons heard last night.

MP Steve Baker secured a late Parliamentary debate on the plight of Wycombe Hospital yesterday – raising further concerns around the loss of complex vascular surgery to Oxford.

The NHS shake-up, recommended by the South Central Cardiovascular Network, is aimed at creating a specialist centre at the John Radcliffe Hospital [JRH], benefitting from increased consultant cover and expertise.

But the changes were questioned several times last year by the Bucks Free Press and Mr Baker, who yesterday produced “clear clinical evidence” that Wycombe outperforms the JRH.

Diseases of the arteries and veins used to be treated by traditional surgery only, but problems can now be dealt with by using a more modern, less invasive procedure called endovascular surgery.

This involves using imaging techniques to see inside the body while a narrow tube [catheter] is guided to the site of the problem through the blood vessels, which generally means less risk, less pain and shorter recovery times for patients.

Last year an independent review of the changes found vascular services at Oxford are “ten to fifteen years behind the best”, while surrounding hospitals "probably provide a better endovascular service" (see related links).

And yesterday, Mr Baker said he had obtained data which shows Wycombe achieved eight vascular interventions for each amputation during the first half of 2012/13, compared with just 4.5 at the JRH.

He said “this shows a considerably greater degree of success in maintaining people’s limbs in very difficult circumstances”.

And the Conservative MP for Wycombe added: “Vascular services in Wycombe are not some ditch and gatepost operation to be salvaged by the great Oxford University hospitals, as Wycombe outperforms them with a smaller team. In this regard, it is the John Radcliffe that needs saving...

“Vascular services in the Thames Valley appear to be not so much sleepwalking into disaster as positively driving towards it.”

Despite detailing a series of problems, including the resignation of a senior surgeon, last year’s independent review said the changes should still go ahead on the basis that vascular services should be co-located alongside Oxford’s major trauma unit.

But Mr Baker says this was “a blatant rejection of the principle that is constantly used to justify centralising services away: clear clinical evidence”.

Certain vascular procedures, such as Carotid Surgery, are set to remain in Wycombe until 2014 at least, though the review said this is unsustainable in the long term (see related links).

And the likely loss of carotid surgery from Wycombe Hospital has raised concern that this could in turn threaten its critical care, coronary and hyper-acute stroke units.

In response to Mr Baker, health minister Dr Daniel Poulter noted the importance of vascular services to Wycombe, which has large Asian population, among whom there is a higher rate of cardiovascular disease.

However, he said changes to front-line health services are a matter for the local NHS, and evidence on a wider scale indicates that centralisation of vascular services achieves better outcomes.

He added: “Generally speaking, all surgeons need to do a minimum number of procedures in order to maintain regular competency, and to maintain continually high and good outcomes for patients...

“That is the reason for the service reconfiguration. The argument can be made, as my hon. Friend has done, that Wycombe should continue to provide those services, but we know that the national data and best evidence point to the fact that the services are best provided at specialist centres.”

See related links for a video of the debate and Friday's Bucks Free Press for a full report.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:05pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Welwyn Dowd says...

Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.
Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands. Welwyn Dowd
  • Score: -1

2:00pm Tue 15 Jan 13

yog says...

Welwyn Dowd wrote:
Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.
Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.
[quote][p][bold]Welwyn Dowd[/bold] wrote: Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.[/p][/quote]Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital. yog
  • Score: 1

6:01pm Tue 15 Jan 13

ChilternsBlue says...

Welwyn Dowd wrote:
Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.
Are you saying he was wrong to raise the issue in the House? What an odd view to take...
[quote][p][bold]Welwyn Dowd[/bold] wrote: Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.[/p][/quote]Are you saying he was wrong to raise the issue in the House? What an odd view to take... ChilternsBlue
  • Score: 1

7:22pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Darren Hayday says...

yog wrote:
Welwyn Dowd wrote:
Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.
Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.
and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o(
[quote][p][bold]yog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welwyn Dowd[/bold] wrote: Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.[/p][/quote]Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.[/p][/quote]and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o( Darren Hayday
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Wycombe Elector says...

Darren Hayday wrote:
yog wrote:
Welwyn Dowd wrote:
Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.
Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.
and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o(
I think Steve Baker's record of fighting for Wycombe Hospital has been exemplary.

What we need is constructive comment, not people simply trying to create a platform that doesn't exist for their own political ambitions.
[quote][p][bold]Darren Hayday[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welwyn Dowd[/bold] wrote: Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.[/p][/quote]Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.[/p][/quote]and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o([/p][/quote]I think Steve Baker's record of fighting for Wycombe Hospital has been exemplary. What we need is constructive comment, not people simply trying to create a platform that doesn't exist for their own political ambitions. Wycombe Elector
  • Score: 1

9:52pm Tue 15 Jan 13

J B Blackett says...

He ought to had a try at persuading to the other 644 MPs who either left the Chamber when he started talking or were missing beforehand to stay and listen to what he said.
.
I know you can't win them all - but most MPs seem like either dead losses , dead weight or deadheads nowadays.
.
You know that's the truth (allegedly).
He ought to had a try at persuading to the other 644 MPs who either left the Chamber when he started talking or were missing beforehand to stay and listen to what he said. . I know you can't win them all - but most MPs seem like either dead losses , dead weight or deadheads nowadays. . You know that's the truth (allegedly). J B Blackett
  • Score: 0

10:35pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Zia Ahmed says...

At least Steven Baker MP is trying to address the problem.
At least Steven Baker MP is trying to address the problem. Zia Ahmed
  • Score: 0

11:14pm Tue 15 Jan 13

J B Blackett says...

Zia Ahmed wrote:
At least Steven Baker MP is trying to address the problem.
The Hopeless talking to the Deaf , the Uncaring ,the Indifferent and the Absent.
.
We don't think that's addressing the problem at all.
.
But you carry on believing it , if you want to. Good Luck.
[quote][p][bold]Zia Ahmed[/bold] wrote: At least Steven Baker MP is trying to address the problem.[/p][/quote]The Hopeless talking to the Deaf , the Uncaring ,the Indifferent and the Absent. . We don't think that's addressing the problem at all. . But you carry on believing it , if you want to. Good Luck. J B Blackett
  • Score: 0

9:22am Wed 16 Jan 13

Edgar Brooks says...

J B Blackett wrote:
Zia Ahmed wrote: At least Steven Baker MP is trying to address the problem.
The Hopeless talking to the Deaf , the Uncaring ,the Indifferent and the Absent. . We don't think that's addressing the problem at all. . But you carry on believing it , if you want to. Good Luck.
Yes, far better that he should sit back, doing and saying nothing, so that you can accuse him of not caring about his constituents.
[quote][p][bold]J B Blackett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Zia Ahmed[/bold] wrote: At least Steven Baker MP is trying to address the problem.[/p][/quote]The Hopeless talking to the Deaf , the Uncaring ,the Indifferent and the Absent. . We don't think that's addressing the problem at all. . But you carry on believing it , if you want to. Good Luck.[/p][/quote]Yes, far better that he should sit back, doing and saying nothing, so that you can accuse him of not caring about his constituents. Edgar Brooks
  • Score: 0

10:06am Wed 16 Jan 13

Darren Hayday says...

Wycombe Elector wrote:
Darren Hayday wrote:
yog wrote:
Welwyn Dowd wrote:
Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.
Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.
and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o(
I think Steve Baker's record of fighting for Wycombe Hospital has been exemplary.

What we need is constructive comment, not people simply trying to create a platform that doesn't exist for their own political ambitions.
Actually you are wrong. I speak out against the closures of services and wards from Wycombe Hospital because I care. This is the town that I live in and it makes me angry that our hospital is slowly being closed down and that we have to go to hospitals miles away when faced with emergencies, giving birth, etc

I personally think that Paul Goodman did a better job than Steve Baker in regards to trying to save Wycombe.

Here is a constructive comment just for you:

"Give us back our lost A&E and maternity services to Wycombe Hospital."

If Steve Baker really cared, then he could threaten to leave the Conservative Party over this.

But he will not as it’s his ticket and he will not bite the hand that feeds him.
[quote][p][bold]Wycombe Elector[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Darren Hayday[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welwyn Dowd[/bold] wrote: Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.[/p][/quote]Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.[/p][/quote]and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o([/p][/quote]I think Steve Baker's record of fighting for Wycombe Hospital has been exemplary. What we need is constructive comment, not people simply trying to create a platform that doesn't exist for their own political ambitions.[/p][/quote]Actually you are wrong. I speak out against the closures of services and wards from Wycombe Hospital because I care. This is the town that I live in and it makes me angry that our hospital is slowly being closed down and that we have to go to hospitals miles away when faced with emergencies, giving birth, etc I personally think that Paul Goodman did a better job than Steve Baker in regards to trying to save Wycombe. Here is a constructive comment just for you: "Give us back our lost A&E and maternity services to Wycombe Hospital." If Steve Baker really cared, then he could threaten to leave the Conservative Party over this. But he will not as it’s his ticket and he will not bite the hand that feeds him. Darren Hayday
  • Score: 0

10:53am Wed 16 Jan 13

Wycombe Elector says...

Darren Hayday wrote:
Wycombe Elector wrote:
Darren Hayday wrote:
yog wrote:
Welwyn Dowd wrote:
Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.
Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.
and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o(
I think Steve Baker's record of fighting for Wycombe Hospital has been exemplary.

What we need is constructive comment, not people simply trying to create a platform that doesn't exist for their own political ambitions.
Actually you are wrong. I speak out against the closures of services and wards from Wycombe Hospital because I care. This is the town that I live in and it makes me angry that our hospital is slowly being closed down and that we have to go to hospitals miles away when faced with emergencies, giving birth, etc

I personally think that Paul Goodman did a better job than Steve Baker in regards to trying to save Wycombe.

Here is a constructive comment just for you:

"Give us back our lost A&E and maternity services to Wycombe Hospital."

If Steve Baker really cared, then he could threaten to leave the Conservative Party over this.

But he will not as it’s his ticket and he will not bite the hand that feeds him.
Everyone in Wycombe cares about Wycombe Hospital - services have not left because of the Conservatives.
[quote][p][bold]Darren Hayday[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wycombe Elector[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Darren Hayday[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welwyn Dowd[/bold] wrote: Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.[/p][/quote]Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.[/p][/quote]and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o([/p][/quote]I think Steve Baker's record of fighting for Wycombe Hospital has been exemplary. What we need is constructive comment, not people simply trying to create a platform that doesn't exist for their own political ambitions.[/p][/quote]Actually you are wrong. I speak out against the closures of services and wards from Wycombe Hospital because I care. This is the town that I live in and it makes me angry that our hospital is slowly being closed down and that we have to go to hospitals miles away when faced with emergencies, giving birth, etc I personally think that Paul Goodman did a better job than Steve Baker in regards to trying to save Wycombe. Here is a constructive comment just for you: "Give us back our lost A&E and maternity services to Wycombe Hospital." If Steve Baker really cared, then he could threaten to leave the Conservative Party over this. But he will not as it’s his ticket and he will not bite the hand that feeds him.[/p][/quote]Everyone in Wycombe cares about Wycombe Hospital - services have not left because of the Conservatives. Wycombe Elector
  • Score: 0

4:35pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Darren Hayday says...

Wycombe Elector wrote:
Darren Hayday wrote:
Wycombe Elector wrote:
Darren Hayday wrote:
yog wrote:
Welwyn Dowd wrote:
Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.
Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.
and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o(
I think Steve Baker's record of fighting for Wycombe Hospital has been exemplary.

What we need is constructive comment, not people simply trying to create a platform that doesn't exist for their own political ambitions.
Actually you are wrong. I speak out against the closures of services and wards from Wycombe Hospital because I care. This is the town that I live in and it makes me angry that our hospital is slowly being closed down and that we have to go to hospitals miles away when faced with emergencies, giving birth, etc

I personally think that Paul Goodman did a better job than Steve Baker in regards to trying to save Wycombe.

Here is a constructive comment just for you:

"Give us back our lost A&E and maternity services to Wycombe Hospital."

If Steve Baker really cared, then he could threaten to leave the Conservative Party over this.

But he will not as it’s his ticket and he will not bite the hand that feeds him.
Everyone in Wycombe cares about Wycombe Hospital - services have not left because of the Conservatives.
If not the Conservative, then who is to blame? Labour, Libdems? - no-one is taking accountability for the loss of services - I take my hat off to Steve for trying to do something - it's not his fault that the system works this way and is failing us all.

But his party is in power at the moment and Jeremy Hunt and David Cameron should get their heads together and sort this NHS mess out (including Wycombe Hosptial)

But they don’t - they give out flowery Press Releases every so often and debate issues that most of us don’t care about.

It's the way that the system has been set up and you nor I (or Steve) can do anything about it.

That is why the majority of the public have little or no trust in politicians.

But as long as we have the Status Quo - then the system stays in place and one political party takes over from the last - which has been happening since ye olden days of the Whig and Tory parties...
[quote][p][bold]Wycombe Elector[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Darren Hayday[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wycombe Elector[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Darren Hayday[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welwyn Dowd[/bold] wrote: Wycombe Hospital, safe in Steve Baker and his party's hands.[/p][/quote]Says a hypocritical Labour member who let us not forget stood by and watched his party tear the heart out of our hospital.[/p][/quote]and quoted by a LibDem who is also in shared power and who's party isn’t helping Wycombe Hospital...it seems that none of the x3 parties are helping the people of Wycombe - very sad - yet very predicable. :o([/p][/quote]I think Steve Baker's record of fighting for Wycombe Hospital has been exemplary. What we need is constructive comment, not people simply trying to create a platform that doesn't exist for their own political ambitions.[/p][/quote]Actually you are wrong. I speak out against the closures of services and wards from Wycombe Hospital because I care. This is the town that I live in and it makes me angry that our hospital is slowly being closed down and that we have to go to hospitals miles away when faced with emergencies, giving birth, etc I personally think that Paul Goodman did a better job than Steve Baker in regards to trying to save Wycombe. Here is a constructive comment just for you: "Give us back our lost A&E and maternity services to Wycombe Hospital." If Steve Baker really cared, then he could threaten to leave the Conservative Party over this. But he will not as it’s his ticket and he will not bite the hand that feeds him.[/p][/quote]Everyone in Wycombe cares about Wycombe Hospital - services have not left because of the Conservatives.[/p][/quote]If not the Conservative, then who is to blame? Labour, Libdems? - no-one is taking accountability for the loss of services - I take my hat off to Steve for trying to do something - it's not his fault that the system works this way and is failing us all. But his party is in power at the moment and Jeremy Hunt and David Cameron should get their heads together and sort this NHS mess out (including Wycombe Hosptial) But they don’t - they give out flowery Press Releases every so often and debate issues that most of us don’t care about. It's the way that the system has been set up and you nor I (or Steve) can do anything about it. That is why the majority of the public have little or no trust in politicians. But as long as we have the Status Quo - then the system stays in place and one political party takes over from the last - which has been happening since ye olden days of the Whig and Tory parties... Darren Hayday
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Wed 16 Jan 13

norma stitz says...

Ten years hence, I doubt there will be a hospital in Wycombe.
Mind you, if the Tories are still in power I doubt we will have a national health service either.
Lets face it their current reforms are designed to privatise health anyway.
Ten years hence, I doubt there will be a hospital in Wycombe. Mind you, if the Tories are still in power I doubt we will have a national health service either. Lets face it their current reforms are designed to privatise health anyway. norma stitz
  • Score: 0

9:12pm Wed 16 Jan 13

stevet123 says...

if David Cameron had a vascular or heart complaint, whilst at Chequers, i bet he won't go to Stoke manderville or High wycombe, oh no to degrading for him, but at least Steve Baker has stood up for the vascular issues, just a shame he did not get his head involved to stop the A & E department and Diabetes departments from closing, more people in high wycombe area with diabetes, plus the fact M40 etc for the A & E department, also the pressure the Ambulance service are under now, having to race people to, Stoek manderville or Wexham, leaving Wycombe with less resources, hey ho the David Cameron and his merry men of bandits do not give 2 hoots
if David Cameron had a vascular or heart complaint, whilst at Chequers, i bet he won't go to Stoke manderville or High wycombe, oh no to degrading for him, but at least Steve Baker has stood up for the vascular issues, just a shame he did not get his head involved to stop the A & E department and Diabetes departments from closing, more people in high wycombe area with diabetes, plus the fact M40 etc for the A & E department, also the pressure the Ambulance service are under now, having to race people to, Stoek manderville or Wexham, leaving Wycombe with less resources, hey ho the David Cameron and his merry men of bandits do not give 2 hoots stevet123
  • Score: 0

6:01pm Thu 17 Jan 13

J B Blackett says...

Edgar Brooks wrote:
J B Blackett wrote:
Zia Ahmed wrote: At least Steven Baker MP is trying to address the problem.
The Hopeless talking to the Deaf , the Uncaring ,the Indifferent and the Absent. . We don't think that's addressing the problem at all. . But you carry on believing it , if you want to. Good Luck.
Yes, far better that he should sit back, doing and saying nothing, so that you can accuse him of not caring about his constituents.
Well talking to an empty hall / chamber will nor alter anything at all . Or perhaps you know better.
.
Words are cheap . And so far this chap has not taken any affirmative , positive or proactive action action about anything in Wycombe.
.
He is a fence-sitter and waits for the cat to jump one way or the other - as has been proven over several local issues in recent times.
.
Paul Goodman, whilst not an overwhelmingly great representative, did on several occasions go out his way to bring local issues to some effect to the attention of the arrogant powers that be .
[quote][p][bold]Edgar Brooks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J B Blackett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Zia Ahmed[/bold] wrote: At least Steven Baker MP is trying to address the problem.[/p][/quote]The Hopeless talking to the Deaf , the Uncaring ,the Indifferent and the Absent. . We don't think that's addressing the problem at all. . But you carry on believing it , if you want to. Good Luck.[/p][/quote]Yes, far better that he should sit back, doing and saying nothing, so that you can accuse him of not caring about his constituents.[/p][/quote]Well talking to an empty hall / chamber will nor alter anything at all . Or perhaps you know better. . Words are cheap . And so far this chap has not taken any affirmative , positive or proactive action action about anything in Wycombe. . He is a fence-sitter and waits for the cat to jump one way or the other - as has been proven over several local issues in recent times. . Paul Goodman, whilst not an overwhelmingly great representative, did on several occasions go out his way to bring local issues to some effect to the attention of the arrogant powers that be . J B Blackett
  • Score: 0

9:39am Fri 18 Jan 13

Aquator says...

These events have a paralell in history and what we dear reader should really be doing, is to go to the nub of the problem.

These events were also predicted and likewise it was known that the existing party political system would fail to provide remedy and once you know why so many bad things are happening, then and only then can we begin to rebuild.

What is the reason for these changes? A lack of money by chance?

UKColumn.org - Bradbury Pound.

We do not need party politics, nor should we allow everything to be put into the hands of private corporations.

Party politics as can be seen above simply causes division. These things we should not be dealing with on an adversarial basis.

We must return to the issuance of our own money. It is the tolerance of usury and the power of the central banking system that is proven to be behind these miseries.

Slavery and hardship are destined to manifest more and more, whilst the present system defiles the natural law and our people.
These events have a paralell in history and what we dear reader should really be doing, is to go to the nub of the problem. These events were also predicted and likewise it was known that the existing party political system would fail to provide remedy and once you know why so many bad things are happening, then and only then can we begin to rebuild. What is the reason for these changes? A lack of money by chance? UKColumn.org - Bradbury Pound. We do not need party politics, nor should we allow everything to be put into the hands of private corporations. Party politics as can be seen above simply causes division. These things we should not be dealing with on an adversarial basis. We must return to the issuance of our own money. It is the tolerance of usury and the power of the central banking system that is proven to be behind these miseries. Slavery and hardship are destined to manifest more and more, whilst the present system defiles the natural law and our people. Aquator
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree