Wycombe and Chiltern District Councils hope recycling rates will improve with new waste contract

Bucks Free Press: Hope recycling rates will improve with new waste contract Hope recycling rates will improve with new waste contract

COUNCIL bosses hope a new waste contract worth £7million will increase the amount of rubbish that gets recycled in Wycombe and Chiltern.

A new seven year joint venture between Wycombe and Chiltern District Councils will save a combined £1.2million for both authorities and will increase the amount of recyclable rubbish that is collected from homes.

Councillors hope the new deal with contractor Serco will lead to an increase in recycling rates across the two districts.

Peter Martin, Chiltern District Council’s Cabinet Member for Waste, said: "There will be an opportunity for residents to recycle a number of extra items. We have a very clear target to increase our recycling rates from the current level up to 60 per cent by 2015.

"I happen to think we can probably go beyond that. Residents have indicated in the past they are keen to recycle."

Jean Teesdale of Wycombe District Council said: "We are working together and saving money, and actually giving a better system to the one we had before. People will be able to recycle so much more. People have been crying out for this for a very long time."

Under the terms of the new contract food waste will be collected weekly, while additional collections for the rubbish and recycling bins will alternate each week.

In the Chiltern district residents will now be able to recycle cans and more types of plastic, with a fortnightly glass collection replacing the current system where glass is collected every four weeks. In Wycombe residents will be able to recycle glass, textiles and batteries.

The changes are due to come into effect in Chiltern in the summer before being rolled out to Wycombe residents in the autumn.

Concerns have been raised by some residents that wheely bins will not be suitable in certain areas but Cllr Martin said solutions will be found.

He said: "We will make sure the solution is appropriate and not just foist a bin or container on people who can't manage it. We'll be sensitive and handle these situation sensibly.

"It's been a major project, a lot of time and effort has gone into it and we hope to deliver the best possible service."

Roadshows will be held across both districts to give more information to residents, including letting people know what types of rubbish can now be recycled.

In Wycombe the current recycling rate in 40 per cent while in Chiltern it is 47 per cent.

From Monday March 4, when the new contract takes effect, Wycombe District residents’ enquiries for waste management will be handled by Chiltern District Council Customer Services as part of the new joint working arrangement. The number is 01494 586550.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:44pm Tue 26 Feb 13

MCarey says...

i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know.
i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know. MCarey
  • Score: 2

1:13pm Tue 26 Feb 13

Fit2drop says...

Unfortunately so many residents in my road dont bother to seperate their rubbish. Lucky if they put it in a bin not leave it strewn around the garden/road.
There must be penalties for lazy bu66ers.
Unfortunately so many residents in my road dont bother to seperate their rubbish. Lucky if they put it in a bin not leave it strewn around the garden/road. There must be penalties for lazy bu66ers. Fit2drop
  • Score: 2

1:35pm Tue 26 Feb 13

The Nomad says...

I agree - i see many households just filling the waste bin and not re-cycling
Apply a penaltyfor those who do not and/or apply rebates for those that do re-cycle

And if Wycombe is worse than Chiltern, then why do we get the new services later ??

And finally i do not want another wheelie bin unless it can be used for all the paper / plastic and glass (as per other counties)
I agree - i see many households just filling the waste bin and not re-cycling Apply a penaltyfor those who do not and/or apply rebates for those that do re-cycle And if Wycombe is worse than Chiltern, then why do we get the new services later ?? And finally i do not want another wheelie bin unless it can be used for all the paper / plastic and glass (as per other counties) The Nomad
  • Score: 0

3:41pm Tue 26 Feb 13

Catflap says...

food waste goes into the green bins so that really won;t make much difference. Glass collection will be really useful but how many bins will we end up with at our properties.
food waste goes into the green bins so that really won;t make much difference. Glass collection will be really useful but how many bins will we end up with at our properties. Catflap
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Tue 26 Feb 13

acorn0306 says...

MCarey wrote:
i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know.
Open your eyes.........
with the exception of Chesham,Chiltern have had wheelie bins since 2005,I should know I empty them every day....
[quote][p][bold]MCarey[/bold] wrote: i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know.[/p][/quote]Open your eyes......... with the exception of Chesham,Chiltern have had wheelie bins since 2005,I should know I empty them every day.... acorn0306
  • Score: 1

4:45pm Tue 26 Feb 13

MCarey says...

acorn0306 wrote:
MCarey wrote:
i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know.
Open your eyes.........
with the exception of Chesham,Chiltern have had wheelie bins since 2005,I should know I empty them every day....
open your eyes Missenden and Holmer Green to name but 2 do not have wheelie bins
[quote][p][bold]acorn0306[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MCarey[/bold] wrote: i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know.[/p][/quote]Open your eyes......... with the exception of Chesham,Chiltern have had wheelie bins since 2005,I should know I empty them every day....[/p][/quote]open your eyes Missenden and Holmer Green to name but 2 do not have wheelie bins MCarey
  • Score: 0

6:39pm Tue 26 Feb 13

Phredd says...

Prestwood residents were recently complaining that they might be getting wheelie bins, after an article on this site!

Much better to have ripped plastic bags along the Missenden Road...
Prestwood residents were recently complaining that they might be getting wheelie bins, after an article on this site! Much better to have ripped plastic bags along the Missenden Road... Phredd
  • Score: 0

7:07pm Tue 26 Feb 13

acorn0306 says...

MCarey wrote:
acorn0306 wrote:
MCarey wrote:
i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know.
Open your eyes.........
with the exception of Chesham,Chiltern have had wheelie bins since 2005,I should know I empty them every day....
open your eyes Missenden and Holmer Green to name but 2 do not have wheelie bins
never said they did......
[quote][p][bold]MCarey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]acorn0306[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MCarey[/bold] wrote: i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know.[/p][/quote]Open your eyes......... with the exception of Chesham,Chiltern have had wheelie bins since 2005,I should know I empty them every day....[/p][/quote]open your eyes Missenden and Holmer Green to name but 2 do not have wheelie bins[/p][/quote]never said they did...... acorn0306
  • Score: 1

5:59am Wed 27 Feb 13

MCarey says...

.....
..... MCarey
  • Score: 0

6:38am Wed 27 Feb 13

pennperson says...

Ummm new contract March 4th.....better service starts summer and autumn.....i know a thing or two about outsourcing contracts but this is a bit of a slow start..........outso
urcers should be hungry in these hard economic times.....do hope the joint procurement has got real value for money out of this. Mini-rant over, looking forward to seeing the benefits of the new service....when it finally arrives in WDC.
Ummm new contract March 4th.....better service starts summer and autumn.....i know a thing or two about outsourcing contracts but this is a bit of a slow start..........outso urcers should be hungry in these hard economic times.....do hope the joint procurement has got real value for money out of this. Mini-rant over, looking forward to seeing the benefits of the new service....when it finally arrives in WDC. pennperson
  • Score: 0

7:41am Wed 27 Feb 13

Malc London says...

MCarey wrote:
i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know.
Chiltern has green wheelie bins for food, and boxes to recycle paper, cardboard and glass. Although we have to take cans and plastic to the collection points which many people do.
[quote][p][bold]MCarey[/bold] wrote: i do not believe that Chiltern recycles more than Wycombe, we in Hazlemere have had black and green boxes and green wheelie bins for 10 years or more whereas Chiltern have never had wheelie bins at all. we have had no info about this new contract and suggest Wycombe pull their finger out and let us know.[/p][/quote]Chiltern has green wheelie bins for food, and boxes to recycle paper, cardboard and glass. Although we have to take cans and plastic to the collection points which many people do. Malc London
  • Score: 0

7:45am Wed 27 Feb 13

Malc London says...

Just like to add that the incumbent contractor has done a brilliant job over the last few years. Shame they have lost the contract, but it can't have been for the level of service which has been excellent.
Just like to add that the incumbent contractor has done a brilliant job over the last few years. Shame they have lost the contract, but it can't have been for the level of service which has been excellent. Malc London
  • Score: 0

7:55am Wed 27 Feb 13

MCarey says...

Malc London wrote:
Just like to add that the incumbent contractor has done a brilliant job over the last few years. Shame they have lost the contract, but it can't have been for the level of service which has been excellent.
I do agree it is a shame but hopefully the changeover will run smoothly with no disruption to residents
[quote][p][bold]Malc London[/bold] wrote: Just like to add that the incumbent contractor has done a brilliant job over the last few years. Shame they have lost the contract, but it can't have been for the level of service which has been excellent.[/p][/quote]I do agree it is a shame but hopefully the changeover will run smoothly with no disruption to residents MCarey
  • Score: 0

11:43am Wed 27 Feb 13

miccles says...

MCarey wrote:
Malc London wrote:
Just like to add that the incumbent contractor has done a brilliant job over the last few years. Shame they have lost the contract, but it can't have been for the level of service which has been excellent.
I do agree it is a shame but hopefully the changeover will run smoothly with no disruption to residents
I will second that, out of all the services, the refuse collections have been the most reliable, and they have always done a good job.
[quote][p][bold]MCarey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Malc London[/bold] wrote: Just like to add that the incumbent contractor has done a brilliant job over the last few years. Shame they have lost the contract, but it can't have been for the level of service which has been excellent.[/p][/quote]I do agree it is a shame but hopefully the changeover will run smoothly with no disruption to residents[/p][/quote]I will second that, out of all the services, the refuse collections have been the most reliable, and they have always done a good job. miccles
  • Score: 0

2:19pm Wed 27 Feb 13

pennman says...

We don't have kerbside glass recycling in Penn, so it will be an improvement.
We don't have kerbside glass recycling in Penn, so it will be an improvement. pennman
  • Score: 0

10:29am Thu 28 Feb 13

Joe Ordinary says...

It is good that further efforts are being made to increase the levels of recycling being achieved but we are still left with the problem of what we do with un-recyclable rubbish given the limitations which exist upon our ability to use landfill to deal with this issue.

What is happening with the incineration solution to this problem which has been agreed and is supposed to be being implemented?
It is good that further efforts are being made to increase the levels of recycling being achieved but we are still left with the problem of what we do with un-recyclable rubbish given the limitations which exist upon our ability to use landfill to deal with this issue. What is happening with the incineration solution to this problem which has been agreed and is supposed to be being implemented? Joe Ordinary
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree