Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Mirror causes house fire in Chesham Bois
SUNLIGHT reflecting off a make-up mirror caused a fire at a house in Chesham Bois this afternoon.
Rays from the sun reflected off the magnifying side of the mirror and set fire to the curtains - which then dropped into a waste paper bin.
A neighbour called 999 after smelling smoke coming from the unoccupied house in Amersham Road shortly after 1pm.
Watch Manager Sam Sansom, from Amersham Fire Station, said: "The mirror was on a dressing table near a bedroom window, with the magnifying side facing the window.
"It concentrated the sunlight on to the curtains, which caught fire and dropped on to the carpet and into a waste paper bin.
"The fire must have been going for some time, as it had burnt through to the floorboards and caused deep charring to the joists."
Firefighters from Amersham and Chesham fire stations cut away and removed the burnt materials and ventilated the house. The bedroom was about 20 per cent damaged by fire and 70 per cent damaged by smoke.
Crews based in Bucks have been called out to six fires caused by reflected sunlight in the last three years.
Neil Boustred, who heads Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service’s community safety team, advised people to keep items such as mirrors with a magnifying surface out of direct sunlight and to never put them on or near window sills.
Comments are closed on this article.