Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Domino's in Marlow gets the go ahead
CONTROVERSIAL plans for a Pizza takeaway to open in Marlow town centre were approved on Wednesday night.
Wycombe District Council's planning committee decided to wave through the application for Domino's to move into West Street.
It will go into part of the vacated Blockbuster store which shut when the video company got into financial strife earlier this year.
The major points of objection centred around parking.
Martin Blunkell, Chairman of The Marlow Society, spoke at the meeting on Wednesday.
He said officers had failed to take into account a parking study, costing £40k so far, currently being undertaken when considering the plan.
He said: "The applicant has stated that the proximity of bus stops will mitigate the problem. A Joke?
"The applicant's failure to create a coherent plan for its staff let alone its customers is a fundamental flaw giving grounds for rejection.
"The problems all around us are getting worse and placing Domino's in West Street will exacerbate the problem."
He said two Italian and two pizza eateries in town meant there is no need for another and claimed a national chain would be to the detriment of smaller businesses.
Also, it would not enhance the conservation area, as required, he added.
Lorna Duggan, an agent working for the pizza firm, told the meeting: "The application site is vacant. Clearly as it stands it is contributing nothing to the local economy."
She said it will create about 20 jobs.
"This will therefore contribute to sustainable economic development," she said.
"It is particularly relevant that the highways authority has raised no objection confirming the proposal is unlikely to result in significant increase in vehicle movements."
Peak time for the shop, 6pm to 9pm, coincides with time when car parks nearby are free, from 7pm, she added.
Committee members agreed with officers to approve Domino's Only one member of the committee, which included Marlow Cllr Neil Marshall, voted to reject the plan. Cllr Alan Hill was the sole opponent.
Comments are closed on this article.