Fresh calls to relax speed limit near notorious speed trap

Bucks Free Press: Fresh calls to relax speed limit near notorious speed trap Fresh calls to relax speed limit near notorious speed trap

NEARLY 400 drivers have been caught speeding on a notorious hill in just six months despite no injuries at the spot in five years, new figures have revealed.

Angry resident Dominic Osborne obtained the figures for Treadaway Hill in Flackwell Heath under freedom of information laws, and believes the speed limit should now be changed.

Over £6000 has been collected on the hill since April with the average speeding motorist travelling at 38mph – eight mph over the current 30 limit, which has been in place since 1963.

Mr Osborne’s girlfriend Charlotte Caught was clocked doing 35mph on the hill, which has two lanes on the ascent to allow for slow-moving traffic.

And the 37-year-old from High Wycombe is now calling for a review to consider making changes similar to Marlow Hill, which is partially covered by a higher 40mph limit.

He said: “I don’t see what justification Treadaway Hill has for being 30 mph when no injury collisions were recorded for the five year period.

“Personally, I would say it’s more dangerous to stick to the speed limit of 30mph down this hill.

“Considering the average speed of people issued with a notice of intended prosecution as a result of spending was less than 40 mph how we can get the council/police to consider increasing the speed limit from 30mph to 40mph on the hill in the same manner as Marlow Hill?”

Police have confirmed no injuries have been sustained in accidents at the spot in five years up to September, and nine damage-only incidents over the same period.

But Transport for Buckinghamshire, the transport arm of Bucks County Council, say there is no plan to review the speed limit in the area.

Spokesman Dan Elworthy said national guidance recommends a minimum length of 600 metres for a speed limit to avoid too many changes along a route, and Treadaway Hill is just 400m long.

He said: “There is a considerable cost involved in changing a speed limit , as this must include public consultation as part of the legal procedures as well as the cost of installing 40mph signs and clearing vegetation as necessary to accommodate them.

“The County Council has, since 2003, completed a countywide review of speed limits and is unable to justify funding any further speed limit changes across the County.”

He added that funds are allocated to parish councils to request a review of specific areas and limits, but that the cost of an assessment can total £7000.

Comments (34)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:53am Wed 18 Dec 13

firminafirm says...

Maybe there have been no injury collisions BECAUSE the speed limit is 30mph ?
Maybe there have been no injury collisions BECAUSE the speed limit is 30mph ? firminafirm

9:36am Wed 18 Dec 13

BucksComment says...

Bloody idiot....

Going from a residential area at the bottom to a residential area at the top via 200 yards of road. If you can't keep your foot off the gas for that then you should not be driving. I presume you had less of an issue prior to your girlfriend being caught (breaking the law)?

Most of the overtaking there is done by people past those sticking to the 30 mph limit rather than slow lorries.

Good use of our council tax servicing your freedom of information enquiry as well......
Bloody idiot.... Going from a residential area at the bottom to a residential area at the top via 200 yards of road. If you can't keep your foot off the gas for that then you should not be driving. I presume you had less of an issue prior to your girlfriend being caught (breaking the law)? Most of the overtaking there is done by people past those sticking to the 30 mph limit rather than slow lorries. Good use of our council tax servicing your freedom of information enquiry as well...... BucksComment

10:30am Wed 18 Dec 13

orient fan says...

If the cost of a review is 7k then surely the revenue generated in fines since April 6k should be able to pay for it ??

And I think the person above has missed the point.....this is typical of the police going for the easy crime (ie sitting on there backside in a van pointing a gun) rather then having to do a little bit of hard work and try and go after muggers/ burglars etc...

I would rather the police clear the town of criminals as opposed to clearing the hill of anyone doing 37mph ......
If the cost of a review is 7k then surely the revenue generated in fines since April 6k should be able to pay for it ?? And I think the person above has missed the point.....this is typical of the police going for the easy crime (ie sitting on there backside in a van pointing a gun) rather then having to do a little bit of hard work and try and go after muggers/ burglars etc... I would rather the police clear the town of criminals as opposed to clearing the hill of anyone doing 37mph ...... orient fan

11:49am Wed 18 Dec 13

I know who I am says...

orient fan wrote:
If the cost of a review is 7k then surely the revenue generated in fines since April 6k should be able to pay for it ??

And I think the person above has missed the point.....this is typical of the police going for the easy crime (ie sitting on there backside in a van pointing a gun) rather then having to do a little bit of hard work and try and go after muggers/ burglars etc...

I would rather the police clear the town of criminals as opposed to clearing the hill of anyone doing 37mph ......
Well said
[quote][p][bold]orient fan[/bold] wrote: If the cost of a review is 7k then surely the revenue generated in fines since April 6k should be able to pay for it ?? And I think the person above has missed the point.....this is typical of the police going for the easy crime (ie sitting on there backside in a van pointing a gun) rather then having to do a little bit of hard work and try and go after muggers/ burglars etc... I would rather the police clear the town of criminals as opposed to clearing the hill of anyone doing 37mph ......[/p][/quote]Well said I know who I am

11:53am Wed 18 Dec 13

BucksComment says...

Until your child, who was crossing over the road at the top to play in the woods gets mown down by some plank coming over the (blind) hill at 40 mph?

One of the joys of our democracy is that you don't get to pick and choose which laws you want to obey. Not saying that the coppers shouldn't be out and about as well.
Until your child, who was crossing over the road at the top to play in the woods gets mown down by some plank coming over the (blind) hill at 40 mph? One of the joys of our democracy is that you don't get to pick and choose which laws you want to obey. Not saying that the coppers shouldn't be out and about as well. BucksComment

12:03pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Edgar Brooks says...

If you're storming up (or down) a hill, and can't see a brightly-coloured van, or man in a yellow jacket, pointing a hair-drier at you, perhaps riding a child's scooter would be a better option.
And if you feel that someone, who has no interest in the possibility of a child appearing in front, is not a criminal, a thorough rethink of your values is really necessary.
If you're storming up (or down) a hill, and can't see a brightly-coloured van, or man in a yellow jacket, pointing a hair-drier at you, perhaps riding a child's scooter would be a better option. And if you feel that someone, who has no interest in the possibility of a child appearing in front, is not a criminal, a thorough rethink of your values is really necessary. Edgar Brooks

1:20pm Wed 18 Dec 13

orient fan says...

Edgar Brooks wrote:
If you're storming up (or down) a hill, and can't see a brightly-coloured van, or man in a yellow jacket, pointing a hair-drier at you, perhaps riding a child's scooter would be a better option.
And if you feel that someone, who has no interest in the possibility of a child appearing in front, is not a criminal, a thorough rethink of your values is really necessary.
I think the blokes girlfriend was doing 35 , I wouldn't really call that storming ?
[quote][p][bold]Edgar Brooks[/bold] wrote: If you're storming up (or down) a hill, and can't see a brightly-coloured van, or man in a yellow jacket, pointing a hair-drier at you, perhaps riding a child's scooter would be a better option. And if you feel that someone, who has no interest in the possibility of a child appearing in front, is not a criminal, a thorough rethink of your values is really necessary.[/p][/quote]I think the blokes girlfriend was doing 35 , I wouldn't really call that storming ? orient fan

2:28pm Wed 18 Dec 13

MonarchX says...

I think you are all coming to assumptions here as you dont know the circumstances for instance the person could have been driving down the hill and not up? Also there could have been a reason why that person was speeding for example a family emergency (I know I have had to do this before) not an excuse to speed but it happens.

Also I think that is a bit offensive calling someone a bloody idiot as I think you have now just lost your argument well done.

Finally there is no way any of you on here can claim that you havent broken the speed limit once in your life because if you are your not telling the truth!
I think you are all coming to assumptions here as you dont know the circumstances for instance the person could have been driving down the hill and not up? Also there could have been a reason why that person was speeding for example a family emergency (I know I have had to do this before) not an excuse to speed but it happens. Also I think that is a bit offensive calling someone a bloody idiot as I think you have now just lost your argument well done. Finally there is no way any of you on here can claim that you havent broken the speed limit once in your life because if you are your not telling the truth! MonarchX

3:08pm Wed 18 Dec 13

BucksComment says...

Speeding is done by bloody idiots. So is drink driving.

30 years ago the same attitudes to speeding being presented on here were expressed about drink driving.

"I'm an excellent driver and am not affected by drink" etc

Thankfully attitudes to drink have changed, hopefully they will too for speeding.

The fact (and this is a fact) is that if you speed in a built up area you are more likely to kill a child.

and 'finally' I have broken the speed limit before, and I was caught and I am therefore a (reformed) bloody idiot. Not arguiing about that.
Speeding is done by bloody idiots. So is drink driving. 30 years ago the same attitudes to speeding being presented on here were expressed about drink driving. "I'm an excellent driver and am not affected by drink" etc Thankfully attitudes to drink have changed, hopefully they will too for speeding. The fact (and this is a fact) is that if you speed in a built up area you are more likely to kill a child. and 'finally' I have broken the speed limit before, and I was caught and I am therefore a (reformed) bloody idiot. Not arguiing about that. BucksComment

3:32pm Wed 18 Dec 13

MonarchX says...

reformed body I doubt that you will break the limit again. Still lost the argument by cursing oh dear.
reformed body I doubt that you will break the limit again. Still lost the argument by cursing oh dear. MonarchX

4:22pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Scarletto says...

Simply comply with limits and you get no penalty. Safer that way.
Simply comply with limits and you get no penalty. Safer that way. Scarletto

10:35pm Wed 18 Dec 13

stevet123 says...

as i said before on this, going up hill should be 40 MPH, coming down hill 30 MPH, as people with small engine cars its a nightmare to get up the hill once in third gear,soon as they get to third the car slows down they then have to go back to second, as they reach 30 MPH, a lot of the comments are from do gooders who have nothing else to do, going up hill 40MPH , its not even a built up area in real terms, perhaps the police should sit on the straight bit and catch some speeders, get more income won't they
as i said before on this, going up hill should be 40 MPH, coming down hill 30 MPH, as people with small engine cars its a nightmare to get up the hill once in third gear,soon as they get to third the car slows down they then have to go back to second, as they reach 30 MPH, a lot of the comments are from do gooders who have nothing else to do, going up hill 40MPH , its not even a built up area in real terms, perhaps the police should sit on the straight bit and catch some speeders, get more income won't they stevet123

8:45am Thu 19 Dec 13

BucksComment says...

It is called a speed LIMIT so just go a bit slower, or learn how to use gears...
It is called a speed LIMIT so just go a bit slower, or learn how to use gears... BucksComment

5:35pm Thu 19 Dec 13

motco says...

If you are following another car in your 'small engined car', and that car ahead is travelling at 30mph, what do you do; hit it? No, of course not, you travel at 30 mph as well. If you can do it when you have no choice, you clearly can do it when you have the choice not to. I do not accept that it is 'a nightmare' to do 30mph on Treadaway Hill, sorry. Whether it is necessary to have a 30 limit there is a moot point, but while it IS there, obey it or suffer the consequences.
If you are following another car in your 'small engined car', and that car ahead is travelling at 30mph, what do you do; hit it? No, of course not, you travel at 30 mph as well. If you can do it when you have no choice, you clearly can do it when you have the choice not to. I do not accept that it is 'a nightmare' to do 30mph on Treadaway Hill, sorry. Whether it is necessary to have a 30 limit there is a moot point, but while it IS there, obey it or suffer the consequences. motco

11:01am Fri 20 Dec 13

stevet123 says...

motco wrote:
If you are following another car in your 'small engined car', and that car ahead is travelling at 30mph, what do you do; hit it? No, of course not, you travel at 30 mph as well. If you can do it when you have no choice, you clearly can do it when you have the choice not to. I do not accept that it is 'a nightmare' to do 30mph on Treadaway Hill, sorry. Whether it is necessary to have a 30 limit there is a moot point, but while it IS there, obey it or suffer the consequences.
do you live in Flackwell Heath, or you just being a busy body poking your oar in
[quote][p][bold]motco[/bold] wrote: If you are following another car in your 'small engined car', and that car ahead is travelling at 30mph, what do you do; hit it? No, of course not, you travel at 30 mph as well. If you can do it when you have no choice, you clearly can do it when you have the choice not to. I do not accept that it is 'a nightmare' to do 30mph on Treadaway Hill, sorry. Whether it is necessary to have a 30 limit there is a moot point, but while it IS there, obey it or suffer the consequences.[/p][/quote]do you live in Flackwell Heath, or you just being a busy body poking your oar in stevet123

1:57pm Fri 20 Dec 13

legiopatrianostra says...

BucksComment wrote:
Speeding is done by bloody idiots. So is drink driving.

30 years ago the same attitudes to speeding being presented on here were expressed about drink driving.

"I'm an excellent driver and am not affected by drink" etc

Thankfully attitudes to drink have changed, hopefully they will too for speeding.

The fact (and this is a fact) is that if you speed in a built up area you are more likely to kill a child.

and 'finally' I have broken the speed limit before, and I was caught and I am therefore a (reformed) bloody idiot. Not arguiing about that.
Are you telling me that you NEVER speed or have never exceeded the speed limit? If you are saying that, then I would call you a liar. Secondly, you claim that you are an excellent driver, what is your measure for that? staying off the boze and within the speed limit?

A speed limit is not an indication of safe sriving, I would rather be in a car with somebody who is driving according to the conditions, than with an IDIOT who believes themself to be an excellent driver because they religiously stick to a speed limit.
[quote][p][bold]BucksComment[/bold] wrote: Speeding is done by bloody idiots. So is drink driving. 30 years ago the same attitudes to speeding being presented on here were expressed about drink driving. "I'm an excellent driver and am not affected by drink" etc Thankfully attitudes to drink have changed, hopefully they will too for speeding. The fact (and this is a fact) is that if you speed in a built up area you are more likely to kill a child. and 'finally' I have broken the speed limit before, and I was caught and I am therefore a (reformed) bloody idiot. Not arguiing about that.[/p][/quote]Are you telling me that you NEVER speed or have never exceeded the speed limit? If you are saying that, then I would call you a liar. Secondly, you claim that you are an excellent driver, what is your measure for that? staying off the boze and within the speed limit? A speed limit is not an indication of safe sriving, I would rather be in a car with somebody who is driving according to the conditions, than with an IDIOT who believes themself to be an excellent driver because they religiously stick to a speed limit. legiopatrianostra

2:46pm Fri 20 Dec 13

SPM071280 says...

I have a small engined car and have no problem maintaining an uphill speed of 30mph, so i'm not sure how that comment is relevant.
Needless to say, the limits should be relevant to the area and this particular stretch of road isn't in a built up residential area (there are two lanes for starters) and the situation talked about is regarding going downhill. As for designated lengths of road required to adjust speed limits (as per the article) off the top of my head I can think of 3 local areas where there are speed changes in less than 600 mtrs.
Whilst I'm not going to comment on the policing of speeding (as I think they perform a valuable job in the correct areas) I do think that in this circumstance, the council need to make changes.
I have a small engined car and have no problem maintaining an uphill speed of 30mph, so i'm not sure how that comment is relevant. Needless to say, the limits should be relevant to the area and this particular stretch of road isn't in a built up residential area (there are two lanes for starters) and the situation talked about is regarding going downhill. As for designated lengths of road required to adjust speed limits (as per the article) off the top of my head I can think of 3 local areas where there are speed changes in less than 600 mtrs. Whilst I'm not going to comment on the policing of speeding (as I think they perform a valuable job in the correct areas) I do think that in this circumstance, the council need to make changes. SPM071280

3:16pm Fri 20 Dec 13

motco says...

There's a length of road (Coombe Lane, Hughenden Valley going up to Naphill) where a 30 limit changes to 40 at the end of houses and for the length of the steep hill, and drops back to 30 again once the hill levels out and the borders of the road are again built up. This is a very similar situation to Treadaway Hill except that Coombe Lane is quite twisty (unlike the essentially straight Treadaway Hill) and driving up it at 40 in the wet could be hazardous. There is certainly a conflict of standards here.
There's a length of road (Coombe Lane, Hughenden Valley going up to Naphill) where a 30 limit changes to 40 at the end of houses and for the length of the steep hill, and drops back to 30 again once the hill levels out and the borders of the road are again built up. This is a very similar situation to Treadaway Hill except that Coombe Lane is quite twisty (unlike the essentially straight Treadaway Hill) and driving up it at 40 in the wet could be hazardous. There is certainly a conflict of standards here. motco

3:56pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Marsbarmad says...

Complete utter joke, I don't know how anyone could do that part of the job.

God bless everyone that flashes to warn you.

Don't ever be afraid to flash oncoming motorists of the speed trap, the police can say they can get you into trouble for this, but only if you admit to warning of police. Warning them of road conditions however and they can't do a thing.

Love it.
Complete utter joke, I don't know how anyone could do that part of the job. God bless everyone that flashes to warn you. Don't ever be afraid to flash oncoming motorists of the speed trap, the police can say they can get you into trouble for this, but only if you admit to warning of police. Warning them of road conditions however and they can't do a thing. Love it. Marsbarmad

4:24pm Fri 20 Dec 13

BucksComment says...

legiopatrianostra - please read the words before you start writing.

You have got every single one of my points wrong - I can not be bothered to go through each one but please, take a deep breath and try again.
legiopatrianostra - please read the words before you start writing. You have got every single one of my points wrong - I can not be bothered to go through each one but please, take a deep breath and try again. BucksComment

5:53pm Fri 20 Dec 13

orient fan says...

I think that some people like bucks comment is missing the point.

The first UK speed limit of 10 mph (16 km/h) was on open roads in town, reduced to 2 mph (3 km/h) in towns and 4 mph (6 km/h) in rural areas by the 1865 'red flag act'..

Now if the speed limits were not reviewed then we would still have that limit now despite cars being safer and manufactured using better technology !

What the bloke was asking for was a review of the speed limit in the hope that it can be increased to a 40

Just because something is law does not mean that it always has to be law, times change and so should we.

Power to the people !
I think that some people like bucks comment is missing the point. The first UK speed limit of 10 mph (16 km/h) was on open roads in town, reduced to 2 mph (3 km/h) in towns and 4 mph (6 km/h) in rural areas by the 1865 'red flag act'.. Now if the speed limits were not reviewed then we would still have that limit now despite cars being safer and manufactured using better technology ! What the bloke was asking for was a review of the speed limit in the hope that it can be increased to a 40 Just because something is law does not mean that it always has to be law, times change and so should we. Power to the people ! orient fan

9:54pm Fri 20 Dec 13

stevet123 says...

BucksComment wrote:
It is called a speed LIMIT so just go a bit slower, or learn how to use gears...
get back in your box , and dip your soldier bread in your eggs
[quote][p][bold]BucksComment[/bold] wrote: It is called a speed LIMIT so just go a bit slower, or learn how to use gears...[/p][/quote]get back in your box , and dip your soldier bread in your eggs stevet123

9:55pm Fri 20 Dec 13

stevet123 says...

BucksComment wrote:
It is called a speed LIMIT so just go a bit slower, or learn how to use gears...
get back in your baby chair and dip your bread soldiers in your eggs
[quote][p][bold]BucksComment[/bold] wrote: It is called a speed LIMIT so just go a bit slower, or learn how to use gears...[/p][/quote]get back in your baby chair and dip your bread soldiers in your eggs stevet123

9:57pm Fri 20 Dec 13

stevet123 says...

BucksComment wrote:
Bloody idiot....

Going from a residential area at the bottom to a residential area at the top via 200 yards of road. If you can't keep your foot off the gas for that then you should not be driving. I presume you had less of an issue prior to your girlfriend being caught (breaking the law)?

Most of the overtaking there is done by people past those sticking to the 30 mph limit rather than slow lorries.

Good use of our council tax servicing your freedom of information enquiry as well......
buckscomment, are you in cuckoo land or did you drop one of your bread soldiers
[quote][p][bold]BucksComment[/bold] wrote: Bloody idiot.... Going from a residential area at the bottom to a residential area at the top via 200 yards of road. If you can't keep your foot off the gas for that then you should not be driving. I presume you had less of an issue prior to your girlfriend being caught (breaking the law)? Most of the overtaking there is done by people past those sticking to the 30 mph limit rather than slow lorries. Good use of our council tax servicing your freedom of information enquiry as well......[/p][/quote]buckscomment, are you in cuckoo land or did you drop one of your bread soldiers stevet123

10:04pm Fri 20 Dec 13

stevet123 says...

BucksComment wrote:
Until your child, who was crossing over the road at the top to play in the woods gets mown down by some plank coming over the (blind) hill at 40 mph?

One of the joys of our democracy is that you don't get to pick and choose which laws you want to obey. Not saying that the coppers shouldn't be out and about as well.
as a sensible parent i would make sure i was on top of the hill ( swains lane), to make sure i can see the traffic clearly before i crossed the road, not at the junction with treadaway hill and treadaway road, as you seem to want to cross
[quote][p][bold]BucksComment[/bold] wrote: Until your child, who was crossing over the road at the top to play in the woods gets mown down by some plank coming over the (blind) hill at 40 mph? One of the joys of our democracy is that you don't get to pick and choose which laws you want to obey. Not saying that the coppers shouldn't be out and about as well.[/p][/quote]as a sensible parent i would make sure i was on top of the hill ( swains lane), to make sure i can see the traffic clearly before i crossed the road, not at the junction with treadaway hill and treadaway road, as you seem to want to cross stevet123

10:06pm Fri 20 Dec 13

stevet123 says...

BucksComment wrote:
Speeding is done by bloody idiots. So is drink driving.

30 years ago the same attitudes to speeding being presented on here were expressed about drink driving.

"I'm an excellent driver and am not affected by drink" etc

Thankfully attitudes to drink have changed, hopefully they will too for speeding.

The fact (and this is a fact) is that if you speed in a built up area you are more likely to kill a child.

and 'finally' I have broken the speed limit before, and I was caught and I am therefore a (reformed) bloody idiot. Not arguiing about that.
I think you should have your driving licence taken away from you, or have an eye test, treadaway hill is not a built up area, where there are loads of houses, or kids playing on the paths
[quote][p][bold]BucksComment[/bold] wrote: Speeding is done by bloody idiots. So is drink driving. 30 years ago the same attitudes to speeding being presented on here were expressed about drink driving. "I'm an excellent driver and am not affected by drink" etc Thankfully attitudes to drink have changed, hopefully they will too for speeding. The fact (and this is a fact) is that if you speed in a built up area you are more likely to kill a child. and 'finally' I have broken the speed limit before, and I was caught and I am therefore a (reformed) bloody idiot. Not arguiing about that.[/p][/quote]I think you should have your driving licence taken away from you, or have an eye test, treadaway hill is not a built up area, where there are loads of houses, or kids playing on the paths stevet123

8:56pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Minority Report says...

MonarchX wrote:
I think you are all coming to assumptions here as you dont know the circumstances for instance the person could have been driving down the hill and not up? Also there could have been a reason why that person was speeding for example a family emergency (I know I have had to do this before) not an excuse to speed but it happens.

Also I think that is a bit offensive calling someone a bloody idiot as I think you have now just lost your argument well done.

Finally there is no way any of you on here can claim that you havent broken the speed limit once in your life because if you are your not telling the truth!
Are you claiming to have never broken the speed limit ever. I'm afraid I may find that difficult to accept.
[quote][p][bold]MonarchX[/bold] wrote: I think you are all coming to assumptions here as you dont know the circumstances for instance the person could have been driving down the hill and not up? Also there could have been a reason why that person was speeding for example a family emergency (I know I have had to do this before) not an excuse to speed but it happens. Also I think that is a bit offensive calling someone a bloody idiot as I think you have now just lost your argument well done. Finally there is no way any of you on here can claim that you havent broken the speed limit once in your life because if you are your not telling the truth![/p][/quote]Are you claiming to have never broken the speed limit ever. I'm afraid I may find that difficult to accept. Minority Report

9:08pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Minority Report says...

BucksComment wrote:
Speeding is done by bloody idiots. So is drink driving.

30 years ago the same attitudes to speeding being presented on here were expressed about drink driving.

"I'm an excellent driver and am not affected by drink" etc

Thankfully attitudes to drink have changed, hopefully they will too for speeding.

The fact (and this is a fact) is that if you speed in a built up area you are more likely to kill a child.

and 'finally' I have broken the speed limit before, and I was caught and I am therefore a (reformed) bloody idiot. Not arguiing about that.
I would tend to agree with this statistic, simple truth is that you don't see many children crossing the motorway. Anyway thank you for stating the bleeding obvious. I have another barmy statistic for you if you eat 5000 calories every day you will more that likely become over-weight. Stats love em or loath em they can say what ever you want.
[quote][p][bold]BucksComment[/bold] wrote: Speeding is done by bloody idiots. So is drink driving. 30 years ago the same attitudes to speeding being presented on here were expressed about drink driving. "I'm an excellent driver and am not affected by drink" etc Thankfully attitudes to drink have changed, hopefully they will too for speeding. The fact (and this is a fact) is that if you speed in a built up area you are more likely to kill a child. and 'finally' I have broken the speed limit before, and I was caught and I am therefore a (reformed) bloody idiot. Not arguiing about that.[/p][/quote]I would tend to agree with this statistic, simple truth is that you don't see many children crossing the motorway. Anyway thank you for stating the bleeding obvious. I have another barmy statistic for you if you eat 5000 calories every day you will more that likely become over-weight. Stats love em or loath em they can say what ever you want. Minority Report

9:17pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Minority Report says...

stevet123 wrote:
motco wrote:
If you are following another car in your 'small engined car', and that car ahead is travelling at 30mph, what do you do; hit it? No, of course not, you travel at 30 mph as well. If you can do it when you have no choice, you clearly can do it when you have the choice not to. I do not accept that it is 'a nightmare' to do 30mph on Treadaway Hill, sorry. Whether it is necessary to have a 30 limit there is a moot point, but while it IS there, obey it or suffer the consequences.
do you live in Flackwell Heath, or you just being a busy body poking your oar in
It is human nature for a driver to squeeze the pedal whenever a hill presents itself. The police know this and so are more likely to clock the traffic going up hills, than down. Take Hamilton hill for example the camera there is positioned to clock traffic going up the hill and away from the school, not downhill as traffic approaches the school! Makes me think the life of a school child is possibly seen as less important by the authorities than catching a driver going up hill. It's bonkers slow traffic before the school not after it.
[quote][p][bold]stevet123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]motco[/bold] wrote: If you are following another car in your 'small engined car', and that car ahead is travelling at 30mph, what do you do; hit it? No, of course not, you travel at 30 mph as well. If you can do it when you have no choice, you clearly can do it when you have the choice not to. I do not accept that it is 'a nightmare' to do 30mph on Treadaway Hill, sorry. Whether it is necessary to have a 30 limit there is a moot point, but while it IS there, obey it or suffer the consequences.[/p][/quote]do you live in Flackwell Heath, or you just being a busy body poking your oar in[/p][/quote]It is human nature for a driver to squeeze the pedal whenever a hill presents itself. The police know this and so are more likely to clock the traffic going up hills, than down. Take Hamilton hill for example the camera there is positioned to clock traffic going up the hill and away from the school, not downhill as traffic approaches the school! Makes me think the life of a school child is possibly seen as less important by the authorities than catching a driver going up hill. It's bonkers slow traffic before the school not after it. Minority Report

9:26am Sun 22 Dec 13

MonarchX says...

Minority Report wrote:
MonarchX wrote:
I think you are all coming to assumptions here as you dont know the circumstances for instance the person could have been driving down the hill and not up? Also there could have been a reason why that person was speeding for example a family emergency (I know I have had to do this before) not an excuse to speed but it happens.

Also I think that is a bit offensive calling someone a bloody idiot as I think you have now just lost your argument well done.

Finally there is no way any of you on here can claim that you havent broken the speed limit once in your life because if you are your not telling the truth!
Are you claiming to have never broken the speed limit ever. I'm afraid I may find that difficult to accept.
No try reading what I put again! Gosh what is wrong with some of you on here!
[quote][p][bold]Minority Report[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MonarchX[/bold] wrote: I think you are all coming to assumptions here as you dont know the circumstances for instance the person could have been driving down the hill and not up? Also there could have been a reason why that person was speeding for example a family emergency (I know I have had to do this before) not an excuse to speed but it happens. Also I think that is a bit offensive calling someone a bloody idiot as I think you have now just lost your argument well done. Finally there is no way any of you on here can claim that you havent broken the speed limit once in your life because if you are your not telling the truth![/p][/quote]Are you claiming to have never broken the speed limit ever. I'm afraid I may find that difficult to accept.[/p][/quote]No try reading what I put again! Gosh what is wrong with some of you on here! MonarchX

9:57am Sun 22 Dec 13

stevet123 says...

Minority Report wrote:
stevet123 wrote:
motco wrote:
If you are following another car in your 'small engined car', and that car ahead is travelling at 30mph, what do you do; hit it? No, of course not, you travel at 30 mph as well. If you can do it when you have no choice, you clearly can do it when you have the choice not to. I do not accept that it is 'a nightmare' to do 30mph on Treadaway Hill, sorry. Whether it is necessary to have a 30 limit there is a moot point, but while it IS there, obey it or suffer the consequences.
do you live in Flackwell Heath, or you just being a busy body poking your oar in
It is human nature for a driver to squeeze the pedal whenever a hill presents itself. The police know this and so are more likely to clock the traffic going up hills, than down. Take Hamilton hill for example the camera there is positioned to clock traffic going up the hill and away from the school, not downhill as traffic approaches the school! Makes me think the life of a school child is possibly seen as less important by the authorities than catching a driver going up hill. It's bonkers slow traffic before the school not after it.
I agree, and when driving up hill you will stop quicker whe brakes applied, but as for going down hill you will end up skidding and a lot more could happen, police are idiots in this field
[quote][p][bold]Minority Report[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevet123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]motco[/bold] wrote: If you are following another car in your 'small engined car', and that car ahead is travelling at 30mph, what do you do; hit it? No, of course not, you travel at 30 mph as well. If you can do it when you have no choice, you clearly can do it when you have the choice not to. I do not accept that it is 'a nightmare' to do 30mph on Treadaway Hill, sorry. Whether it is necessary to have a 30 limit there is a moot point, but while it IS there, obey it or suffer the consequences.[/p][/quote]do you live in Flackwell Heath, or you just being a busy body poking your oar in[/p][/quote]It is human nature for a driver to squeeze the pedal whenever a hill presents itself. The police know this and so are more likely to clock the traffic going up hills, than down. Take Hamilton hill for example the camera there is positioned to clock traffic going up the hill and away from the school, not downhill as traffic approaches the school! Makes me think the life of a school child is possibly seen as less important by the authorities than catching a driver going up hill. It's bonkers slow traffic before the school not after it.[/p][/quote]I agree, and when driving up hill you will stop quicker whe brakes applied, but as for going down hill you will end up skidding and a lot more could happen, police are idiots in this field stevet123

8:36am Mon 23 Dec 13

no1buzz says...

before loads of you say' told you so' after Sunday's accident in Swains Lane, there are no indications that the accident was caused by speeding.
before loads of you say' told you so' after Sunday's accident in Swains Lane, there are no indications that the accident was caused by speeding. no1buzz

2:10pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Garg147 says...

There's obviously a mixed opinion here. Although I have to voice that both myself and my step mum have been caught on this hill recently doing 35mph and 36mph. Both of us are relatively safe drivers and as for my step mum we all cried with laughter when we found out as she is an elderly driver and the slowest driver in history. Although really it is no laughing matter as this hill has real issues for drivers with small engines going up the hill. I've nearly stalled my 1ltr car going up this hill countless times so I have to accelerate at the bottom in order to get up the hill as it is so steep. I so much slow down and I end up having to go into 1st gear to get up, which results in many cars having to overtake me and creating a more dangerous scenario. Since being caught I have tried going up in 30 mph and have ended up in 1st gear struggling to get up. There's also issues going down hill, so much as take your foot off the break and you can reach 35 within 2 secs, so you have to keep your foot on the peddle at all times.

Ok that said there is no excuse to speed. However I think the police may be guilty here of picking an easy target to ensure they reach the figures required by the government and as an easy money maker.

It really frustrates me as I am an emergency worker and I know there are so many other things that could be done here other than speeding traps. Driver awareness, looking at why this is a two lanes hill or taking a look at other hills like Marlow hill (where there is also residential areas at the top and bottom) to name a few. Surely the police service can start being more creative rather than resorting to underhand speeding fines.

Just my opinion really.
There's obviously a mixed opinion here. Although I have to voice that both myself and my step mum have been caught on this hill recently doing 35mph and 36mph. Both of us are relatively safe drivers and as for my step mum we all cried with laughter when we found out as she is an elderly driver and the slowest driver in history. Although really it is no laughing matter as this hill has real issues for drivers with small engines going up the hill. I've nearly stalled my 1ltr car going up this hill countless times so I have to accelerate at the bottom in order to get up the hill as it is so steep. I so much slow down and I end up having to go into 1st gear to get up, which results in many cars having to overtake me and creating a more dangerous scenario. Since being caught I have tried going up in 30 mph and have ended up in 1st gear struggling to get up. There's also issues going down hill, so much as take your foot off the break and you can reach 35 within 2 secs, so you have to keep your foot on the peddle at all times. Ok that said there is no excuse to speed. However I think the police may be guilty here of picking an easy target to ensure they reach the figures required by the government and as an easy money maker. It really frustrates me as I am an emergency worker and I know there are so many other things that could be done here other than speeding traps. Driver awareness, looking at why this is a two lanes hill or taking a look at other hills like Marlow hill (where there is also residential areas at the top and bottom) to name a few. Surely the police service can start being more creative rather than resorting to underhand speeding fines. Just my opinion really. Garg147

7:07pm Mon 30 Dec 13

stevet123 says...

Garg147 wrote:
There's obviously a mixed opinion here. Although I have to voice that both myself and my step mum have been caught on this hill recently doing 35mph and 36mph. Both of us are relatively safe drivers and as for my step mum we all cried with laughter when we found out as she is an elderly driver and the slowest driver in history. Although really it is no laughing matter as this hill has real issues for drivers with small engines going up the hill. I've nearly stalled my 1ltr car going up this hill countless times so I have to accelerate at the bottom in order to get up the hill as it is so steep. I so much slow down and I end up having to go into 1st gear to get up, which results in many cars having to overtake me and creating a more dangerous scenario. Since being caught I have tried going up in 30 mph and have ended up in 1st gear struggling to get up. There's also issues going down hill, so much as take your foot off the break and you can reach 35 within 2 secs, so you have to keep your foot on the peddle at all times.

Ok that said there is no excuse to speed. However I think the police may be guilty here of picking an easy target to ensure they reach the figures required by the government and as an easy money maker.

It really frustrates me as I am an emergency worker and I know there are so many other things that could be done here other than speeding traps. Driver awareness, looking at why this is a two lanes hill or taking a look at other hills like Marlow hill (where there is also residential areas at the top and bottom) to name a few. Surely the police service can start being more creative rather than resorting to underhand speeding fines.

Just my opinion really.
Garg147, could you enlighten us all on where on tredaway hill there are built up residential areas
[quote][p][bold]Garg147[/bold] wrote: There's obviously a mixed opinion here. Although I have to voice that both myself and my step mum have been caught on this hill recently doing 35mph and 36mph. Both of us are relatively safe drivers and as for my step mum we all cried with laughter when we found out as she is an elderly driver and the slowest driver in history. Although really it is no laughing matter as this hill has real issues for drivers with small engines going up the hill. I've nearly stalled my 1ltr car going up this hill countless times so I have to accelerate at the bottom in order to get up the hill as it is so steep. I so much slow down and I end up having to go into 1st gear to get up, which results in many cars having to overtake me and creating a more dangerous scenario. Since being caught I have tried going up in 30 mph and have ended up in 1st gear struggling to get up. There's also issues going down hill, so much as take your foot off the break and you can reach 35 within 2 secs, so you have to keep your foot on the peddle at all times. Ok that said there is no excuse to speed. However I think the police may be guilty here of picking an easy target to ensure they reach the figures required by the government and as an easy money maker. It really frustrates me as I am an emergency worker and I know there are so many other things that could be done here other than speeding traps. Driver awareness, looking at why this is a two lanes hill or taking a look at other hills like Marlow hill (where there is also residential areas at the top and bottom) to name a few. Surely the police service can start being more creative rather than resorting to underhand speeding fines. Just my opinion really.[/p][/quote]Garg147, could you enlighten us all on where on tredaway hill there are built up residential areas stevet123

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree