More than 60 per cent of adults overweight in Bucks

Bucks Free Press: More than 60 per cent of adults overweight in Bucks More than 60 per cent of adults overweight in Bucks

NEW data has revealed almost 65 per cent of adults in Bucks are overweight or obese.

Public Health England, which is an autonomous executive agency of the Department of Health, has published the data today as part of a nationwide survey.

It is based on adjusted, self-reported height and weight data which has been collected by the Active People Survey (Sport England) since January 2012.

It is measured by local authorities and Buckinghamshire showed there were 64.4 per cent of adults (aged 16 and over) with a body mass index above 25kg per m2.

Milton Keynes had a level of 72.5 per cent, Reading 55.3 per cent and Windsor and Maidenhead at 55.9 per cent.

The data did reveal though, that the rate of increase in overweight and obese adults has slowed in recent years and in children, levels are stabilising.

Diana Grice, Thames Valley Public Health England centre director said: "This new data will enable local councils across Thames Valley to monitor progress towards the national ambition of achieving a downward trend in excess weight by 2020.

"Today’s information will help local authorities to understand the extent of the problem in their area and support their on-going efforts to tackle overweight and obesity and improve the health of their local population by continuing to develop services such as health walks, and access to services such as weight management and healthy eating programmes that will raise awareness of obesity as a health issue."

Public Health England’s mission is to protect and improve the nation’s health and to address inequalities through working with national and local government, the NHS, industry and the voluntary and community sector.

People who are overweight or obese have an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers. Health problems associated with being overweight or obese cost the NHS more than £5 billion each year.

Kensington and Chelsea has the lowest percentage at 45.9 and Copeland in western Cumbria had the worst at 75.9 per cent.

For advice on weight management go to http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/Loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx

For personal advice, people should go to their GP or practice nurse, who can also refer the more overweight to weight management groups, which are a successful route to helping people keep to a healthy weight.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:23pm Tue 4 Feb 14

legiopatrianostra says...

Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage.
Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage. legiopatrianostra

5:14pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Ivor'sbestfriend says...

legiopatrianostra wrote:
Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage.
A convenient excuse for many fattys, but I doubt everyone in Bucks is a professional rugby player.
[quote][p][bold]legiopatrianostra[/bold] wrote: Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage.[/p][/quote]A convenient excuse for many fattys, but I doubt everyone in Bucks is a professional rugby player. Ivor'sbestfriend

9:36am Wed 5 Feb 14

legiopatrianostra says...

Ivor'sbestfriend wrote:
legiopatrianostra wrote: Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage.
A convenient excuse for many fattys, but I doubt everyone in Bucks is a professional rugby player.
But it's not just Rugby players though is it? That's one example, fact is, BMI is not an accurate measure of body-fat or obesity.
[quote][p][bold]Ivor'sbestfriend[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legiopatrianostra[/bold] wrote: Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage.[/p][/quote]A convenient excuse for many fattys, but I doubt everyone in Bucks is a professional rugby player.[/p][/quote]But it's not just Rugby players though is it? That's one example, fact is, BMI is not an accurate measure of body-fat or obesity. legiopatrianostra

10:39am Wed 5 Feb 14

Ivor'sbestfriend says...

legiopatrianostra wrote:
Ivor'sbestfriend wrote:
legiopatrianostra wrote: Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage.
A convenient excuse for many fattys, but I doubt everyone in Bucks is a professional rugby player.
But it's not just Rugby players though is it? That's one example, fact is, BMI is not an accurate measure of body-fat or obesity.
BMI also isn't accurate for bodybuilders, professional wrestlers, elite sprinters, or anyone else with large amount of skeletal muscle.

Again, there are not enough of these sort of people to make any statistical difference to the findings in this story.
[quote][p][bold]legiopatrianostra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ivor'sbestfriend[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legiopatrianostra[/bold] wrote: Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage.[/p][/quote]A convenient excuse for many fattys, but I doubt everyone in Bucks is a professional rugby player.[/p][/quote]But it's not just Rugby players though is it? That's one example, fact is, BMI is not an accurate measure of body-fat or obesity.[/p][/quote]BMI also isn't accurate for bodybuilders, professional wrestlers, elite sprinters, or anyone else with large amount of skeletal muscle. Again, there are not enough of these sort of people to make any statistical difference to the findings in this story. Ivor'sbestfriend

11:37am Wed 5 Feb 14

big don g the 1st says...

There are lots of overweight people and there is generally no excuse, lay off the Jaffa Cakes, your health is at risk. But at the same time there are lots of smokers, myself included. I am not fat but one day my smoking will probably also be a drain on resources. My only gripe with really big people is when they obstruct the pavement/staircases/
escalators or are a hindrance in small lifts.

And there is something about a big person wolfing down food that gets my goat too.
There are lots of overweight people and there is generally no excuse, lay off the Jaffa Cakes, your health is at risk. But at the same time there are lots of smokers, myself included. I am not fat but one day my smoking will probably also be a drain on resources. My only gripe with really big people is when they obstruct the pavement/staircases/ escalators or are a hindrance in small lifts. And there is something about a big person wolfing down food that gets my goat too. big don g the 1st

10:43pm Wed 5 Feb 14

legiopatrianostra says...

Ivor'sbestfriend wrote:
legiopatrianostra wrote:
Ivor'sbestfriend wrote:
legiopatrianostra wrote: Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage.
A convenient excuse for many fattys, but I doubt everyone in Bucks is a professional rugby player.
But it's not just Rugby players though is it? That's one example, fact is, BMI is not an accurate measure of body-fat or obesity.
BMI also isn't accurate for bodybuilders, professional wrestlers, elite sprinters, or anyone else with large amount of skeletal muscle. Again, there are not enough of these sort of people to make any statistical difference to the findings in this story.
I don't know of any statistics that would back either view, one does not need to be a profession wrestler, an elite sprinter to form a composition of those that BMI would be distorted by, , again, BMI is not an accurate means of determining the composition of body fat and you confirm it with your examples above.
[quote][p][bold]Ivor'sbestfriend[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legiopatrianostra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ivor'sbestfriend[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legiopatrianostra[/bold] wrote: Many rugby players have a BMI that would categorise them as being obese, BMI is not an accurate means of determining body-fat percentage.[/p][/quote]A convenient excuse for many fattys, but I doubt everyone in Bucks is a professional rugby player.[/p][/quote]But it's not just Rugby players though is it? That's one example, fact is, BMI is not an accurate measure of body-fat or obesity.[/p][/quote]BMI also isn't accurate for bodybuilders, professional wrestlers, elite sprinters, or anyone else with large amount of skeletal muscle. Again, there are not enough of these sort of people to make any statistical difference to the findings in this story.[/p][/quote]I don't know of any statistics that would back either view, one does not need to be a profession wrestler, an elite sprinter to form a composition of those that BMI would be distorted by, , again, BMI is not an accurate means of determining the composition of body fat and you confirm it with your examples above. legiopatrianostra

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree