New development could transform east of Marlow town centre

The proposed building for the corner or Spittal Street and Dean Street (looking from the east)

How it looks now (pic. Google)

First published in News
Last updated
Bucks Free Press: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A HUGE new development could change the face of a Marlow town centre street after plans were revealed for 14 new homes along with shops and restaurants.

Shanly Homes has submitted an application to Wycombe District Council to demolish office building Windsor House on the corner of Spittal Street and Dean Street, which it labelled as "dated".

The development firm hopes to replace it with a more traditional Georgian-style three-storey building comprising 10 flats and ground floor space for retail and cafes/restaurants.

Nine of the flats would be two-bedroom properties along with one 3-bedroom apartment.

It would also include four three-bed homes to the rear, 22 parking spaces as well as room to store 21 bicycles.

If approved, the new building would completely reshape the appearance of the town centre when approached from the A5155 to the east.

Nathan Craker, development manager at the Shanly Group, said: “It is an important site and the eastern gateway to the town.

"The building that is there currently is not that attractive and it’s our aim to replace it with a much better looking one.

“Architecturally, it follows the strong theme of the Georgian buildings that surround it in the conservation area.

“It is very important to us to continue the retail activity on that end of Spittal Street, and adding residential units while making it more attractive at the same time.”

The Windsor House office building was home to the offices of HMV until the company vacated last year. It has remained empty ever since.

The council has already warned developers that the plans would only be approved if it could be proved that the space was "no longer practicable for employment generating purposes".

But the Shanly Group’s application claims there has been very little interest from tenants in taking up the office space due its dated appearance and poor floor space layout.

WDC is expected to rule on the application by June.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:09am Fri 7 Mar 14

Garrob says...

Where are they going to put the Tesco?!
Where are they going to put the Tesco?! Garrob
  • Score: 1

11:05am Fri 7 Mar 14

legiopatrianostra says...

Looks better than rubbish there now. At least Shanly, (unlike the crap that Taylor Wimpey) chucks up is generally sympathetic to the architecture, the flint cottages in Flackwell blend in quite well.
Looks better than rubbish there now. At least Shanly, (unlike the crap that Taylor Wimpey) chucks up is generally sympathetic to the architecture, the flint cottages in Flackwell blend in quite well. legiopatrianostra
  • Score: 9

2:31pm Fri 7 Mar 14

marlowbucks says...

" retail and cafes/restaurants"
You're having a laugh, right? We do not need more eateries and retail outlets!
" retail and cafes/restaurants" You're having a laugh, right? We do not need more eateries and retail outlets! marlowbucks
  • Score: 9

5:03pm Fri 7 Mar 14

jayeatman says...

Well, we certainly don't need an empty eyesore of an office building.
Well, we certainly don't need an empty eyesore of an office building. jayeatman
  • Score: 5

5:34pm Fri 7 Mar 14

gpn01 says...

marlowbucks wrote:
" retail and cafes/restaurants"
You're having a laugh, right? We do not need more eateries and retail outlets!
What do you mean "we" don't? What empowers you to make that sweeping statement for everybody? The best test for whether there is sufficient demand is for existing and new eateries and retail outlets to generate enough business. If you don't want more places to eat and shop then don't worry...there's no obligation for you to.
[quote][p][bold]marlowbucks[/bold] wrote: " retail and cafes/restaurants" You're having a laugh, right? We do not need more eateries and retail outlets![/p][/quote]What do you mean "we" don't? What empowers you to make that sweeping statement for everybody? The best test for whether there is sufficient demand is for existing and new eateries and retail outlets to generate enough business. If you don't want more places to eat and shop then don't worry...there's no obligation for you to. gpn01
  • Score: -1

10:24pm Fri 7 Mar 14

marlowbucks says...

gpn01 wrote:
marlowbucks wrote:
" retail and cafes/restaurants"
You're having a laugh, right? We do not need more eateries and retail outlets!
What do you mean "we" don't? What empowers you to make that sweeping statement for everybody? The best test for whether there is sufficient demand is for existing and new eateries and retail outlets to generate enough business. If you don't want more places to eat and shop then don't worry...there's no obligation for you to.
What 'empowers' me, my dear chap, is the observation that we have several failed and empty shops and dining establishments already. As Aleksandr says: "Simples!"
[quote][p][bold]gpn01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]marlowbucks[/bold] wrote: " retail and cafes/restaurants" You're having a laugh, right? We do not need more eateries and retail outlets![/p][/quote]What do you mean "we" don't? What empowers you to make that sweeping statement for everybody? The best test for whether there is sufficient demand is for existing and new eateries and retail outlets to generate enough business. If you don't want more places to eat and shop then don't worry...there's no obligation for you to.[/p][/quote]What 'empowers' me, my dear chap, is the observation that we have several failed and empty shops and dining establishments already. As Aleksandr says: "Simples!" marlowbucks
  • Score: 2

9:10am Sat 8 Mar 14

gpn01 says...

marlowbucks wrote:
gpn01 wrote:
marlowbucks wrote:
" retail and cafes/restaurants"
You're having a laugh, right? We do not need more eateries and retail outlets!
What do you mean "we" don't? What empowers you to make that sweeping statement for everybody? The best test for whether there is sufficient demand is for existing and new eateries and retail outlets to generate enough business. If you don't want more places to eat and shop then don't worry...there's no obligation for you to.
What 'empowers' me, my dear chap, is the observation that we have several failed and empty shops and dining establishments already. As Aleksandr says: "Simples!"
There's always going too be failures. That's business. Same as in life, you sometimes fail because you've tried to do something different. Unless you're completely unambitious then there's nothing wrong with that is there? Yes, there are a few empty shop units but you will always get that as businesses start and stop and the economy bubbles up and drops back, etc.
[quote][p][bold]marlowbucks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gpn01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]marlowbucks[/bold] wrote: " retail and cafes/restaurants" You're having a laugh, right? We do not need more eateries and retail outlets![/p][/quote]What do you mean "we" don't? What empowers you to make that sweeping statement for everybody? The best test for whether there is sufficient demand is for existing and new eateries and retail outlets to generate enough business. If you don't want more places to eat and shop then don't worry...there's no obligation for you to.[/p][/quote]What 'empowers' me, my dear chap, is the observation that we have several failed and empty shops and dining establishments already. As Aleksandr says: "Simples!"[/p][/quote]There's always going too be failures. That's business. Same as in life, you sometimes fail because you've tried to do something different. Unless you're completely unambitious then there's nothing wrong with that is there? Yes, there are a few empty shop units but you will always get that as businesses start and stop and the economy bubbles up and drops back, etc. gpn01
  • Score: 0

10:24am Sat 8 Mar 14

neilesmith says...

I like it. Empty office buildings we don't need more homes we do. And it looks better than what's there now.
I like it. Empty office buildings we don't need more homes we do. And it looks better than what's there now. neilesmith
  • Score: 4

11:22am Sat 8 Mar 14

s6blr says...

I like it -- much better looking on paper than the current eyesore!
I like it -- much better looking on paper than the current eyesore! s6blr
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree