Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or upload here
Inquest: Grandmother took overdose after husband's death
A GRANDMOTHER killed herself after taking an overdose of prescription medicine, an inquest heard.
Retired secretary Jean Hoar took the overdose after failing to come to terms with the death of her husband Peter, the inquest at Beaconsfield Coroner's Court was told.
The 79-year-old died at her home in Park Street, Princes Risborough, on Tuesday, January 14.
The inquest heard Mrs Hoar, who had two children and three grandchildren, was still upset at her husband's death three years ago and had previously taken another overdose.
Mrs Hoar was asleep when her son Malcolm let himself into her home at about 11am on January 14 and was still sleeping three hours later when he went to check on her.
Shortly afterwards the sound of snoring from the bedroom had stopped and Mr Hoar found his mother had stopped breathing when he went to check on her again. He called for an ambulance but neither he nor paramedics were able to revive her and she was declared dead.
DC Matt Kent, who was called to the house by ambulance staff, said six empty boxes of codeine were found in Mrs Hoar's living room. He said: "They had been prescribed to Jean but she may have been stockpiling tablets."
A 'kindly' note addressed to her family was also found. Coroner Richard Hulett ruled Mrs Hoar took her own life.
Son Malcolm said after the inquest: "She was a very kind person - she'd help anybody.
"She was strong willed and generally a happy person until my father's death. She took his death badly."
Comments are closed on this article.