County council hopes to close attainment gap in Bucks

Bucks Free Press: Val Letheren Val Letheren

STEPS are being taken to close the gap between the success of pupils from wealthier backgrounds and those from less affluent families.

There is currently a large gap in Bucks which is bigger than most authorities in the UK.

The county council is now working towards closing that gap and on Monday a report was presented to cabinet by Val Letheren, chairman of the council’s cross-party Education, Skills and Children’s Services Select Committee.

Cllr Letheren said: "In Bucks we do have a larger gap than most authorities and we explored why this is.

"We found, of course we knew, Bucks is a county of contrasts. We have high aspiring affluent areas but also severe areas of deprivation.

"A child of five starting in school from any of theses areas can have a very different background from one to the other, which can lead to a very different prospect of achievement."

A pupil premium is a grant given to schools from Government so they can support their disadvantaged pupils.

For the financial year 2014/15 this has risen to £1,300 for primary aged pupils, £935 for secondary and £1,900 for all looked after and adopted children and children with guardians.

The cabinet embraced seven of the committee’s 12 recommendations to help narrow the gap and raise attainment levels, and it is considering further work on the other five.

These include work on harnessing the approach by Learning Development Centres to offer learning opportunities for economically disadvantaged families; looking at further improving literacy; reviewing support for parents in supporting their vulnerable children; and strengthening the commitment to ensure economically disadvantaged pupils perform well in all school settings.

And Cllr Letheren said the new 11+ test appears to have also let in a wider range of children.

She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going."

Central to the proposals were using evidence-based practice through robust early years education, and ensuring pupil premium grants were being used to the best effect with individual pupils, such as giving one-to-one coaching and encouraging them to make the best use of their opportunities.

Mike Appleyard, deputy leader and cabinet member for education and skills, said: "I’m very keen that all children are given every opportunity to prepare for life confidently and to achieve their full potential.

"We’re already doing a great deal of very good work and the committee’s report focuses our attention on areas where we can make the transition from 'very good' to 'better'.’

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:58am Fri 28 Mar 14

MunsterX says...

I know someone who works at a grammar school for boys that tests intake not just with the 11+ test, but also for year 8, 9 and 10 entry. If a boy lives within certain defined postcode areas in HW she is under specific instructions from above to falsify that boy's test results and fail him. Maybe Val should stop talking crap?
I know someone who works at a grammar school for boys that tests intake not just with the 11+ test, but also for year 8, 9 and 10 entry. If a boy lives within certain defined postcode areas in HW she is under specific instructions from above to falsify that boy's test results and fail him. Maybe Val should stop talking crap? MunsterX
  • Score: 0

10:23am Fri 28 Mar 14

Marlow Mum says...

I quote: "Cllr Letheren said, "In Bucks we do have a larger gap than most authorities and we explored why this is."
Errrr... seemples. I think you'll find it's called the 11+. Those with money pay for tuition and / or private education and then send kids off to the grammar school; those without, don't.
Here endeth the lesson...
I quote: "Cllr Letheren said, "In Bucks we do have a larger gap than most authorities and we explored why this is." Errrr... seemples. I think you'll find it's called the 11+. Those with money pay for tuition and / or private education and then send kids off to the grammar school; those without, don't. Here endeth the lesson... Marlow Mum
  • Score: 1

10:26am Fri 28 Mar 14

Marlow Mum says...

With reference to this comment: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going."
I think you'll find that those schools she refers to are - in fact - primarily private prep schools. I have heard that the 11+ pass rate at Davenies in Beaconsfield this year was astonishingly high.
With reference to this comment: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." I think you'll find that those schools she refers to are - in fact - primarily private prep schools. I have heard that the 11+ pass rate at Davenies in Beaconsfield this year was astonishingly high. Marlow Mum
  • Score: 1

10:51am Fri 28 Mar 14

MunsterX says...

Marlow Mum wrote:
With reference to this comment: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going."
I think you'll find that those schools she refers to are - in fact - primarily private prep schools. I have heard that the 11+ pass rate at Davenies in Beaconsfield this year was astonishingly high.
Are you going to furnish us with rate Marlow Mum, or spend the day pr!ck teasing?
[quote][p][bold]Marlow Mum[/bold] wrote: With reference to this comment: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." I think you'll find that those schools she refers to are - in fact - primarily private prep schools. I have heard that the 11+ pass rate at Davenies in Beaconsfield this year was astonishingly high.[/p][/quote]Are you going to furnish us with rate Marlow Mum, or spend the day pr!ck teasing? MunsterX
  • Score: -2

11:00am Fri 28 Mar 14

Marlow Mum says...

I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light?
I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light? Marlow Mum
  • Score: 3

11:13am Fri 28 Mar 14

Welwyn Dowd says...

I always thought the point of the 11+ was to keep the poor kids out of grammar schools? After all, once you've paid all those school fees you don't want Tarquin and Jocasta mixing with the wrong sort of children. Ok, a few are going to slip through, even a few from the 'Commonwealth' but the 11+ keeps it to a manageable minority. Enough to give a veneer of fair play but not so many as can't be kept in their proper place.
I always thought the point of the 11+ was to keep the poor kids out of grammar schools? After all, once you've paid all those school fees you don't want Tarquin and Jocasta mixing with the wrong sort of children. Ok, a few are going to slip through, even a few from the 'Commonwealth' but the 11+ keeps it to a manageable minority. Enough to give a veneer of fair play but not so many as can't be kept in their proper place. Welwyn Dowd
  • Score: 0

3:43pm Fri 28 Mar 14

slickchick says...

There is a great deal of confusion about how the new grammar school tests have worked out for Bucks state educated children. The test results are available. Bucks CC have allocated grammar and non grammar school places. All of the information you need to know about whether it is fair or biased towards privately educated children is available.
All you need to do is ask The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools Company responsible for introducing the new test or Bucks County Council school admissions dept for the information.

Just ask for the number of children who took the exam and the number who passed from the following schools:
Bucks State funded schools
Bucks Private schools
Out-of -county state funded schools
Out-of –county private schools.

You will then have all the information you need.

The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools Company http://www.companies
intheuk.co.uk/ltd/th
e-buckinghamshire-gr
ammar-schools

If you do not get reply, you can contact the Chairman of the Grammar School Company
Mr P Wayne.
Philip.Wayne@chesham
grammar.bucks.sch.uk


An alternative option is to contact Bucks County Council school admissions dept dmunday@bcc.gov.uk

If you still fail to get a response, try contacting the Bucks CC cabinet member for education Mike Appleyard:
mappleyard@buckscc.g
ov.uk

You could also ask Ms. Letheren for the evidence she has obtained to support her statements.
vletheren@buckscc.go
v.uk

I wish you the best of luck and please let everyone know what you find out
There is a great deal of confusion about how the new grammar school tests have worked out for Bucks state educated children. The test results are available. Bucks CC have allocated grammar and non grammar school places. All of the information you need to know about whether it is fair or biased towards privately educated children is available. All you need to do is ask The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools Company responsible for introducing the new test or Bucks County Council school admissions dept for the information. Just ask for the number of children who took the exam and the number who passed from the following schools: Bucks State funded schools Bucks Private schools Out-of -county state funded schools Out-of –county private schools. You will then have all the information you need. The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools Company http://www.companies intheuk.co.uk/ltd/th e-buckinghamshire-gr ammar-schools If you do not get reply, you can contact the Chairman of the Grammar School Company Mr P Wayne. Philip.Wayne@chesham grammar.bucks.sch.uk An alternative option is to contact Bucks County Council school admissions dept dmunday@bcc.gov.uk If you still fail to get a response, try contacting the Bucks CC cabinet member for education Mike Appleyard: mappleyard@buckscc.g ov.uk You could also ask Ms. Letheren for the evidence she has obtained to support her statements. vletheren@buckscc.go v.uk I wish you the best of luck and please let everyone know what you find out slickchick
  • Score: 13

9:04pm Fri 28 Mar 14

trickerg says...

'The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools Company Ltd'... Jeez...
'The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools Company Ltd'... Jeez... trickerg
  • Score: 2

12:24am Sat 29 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

Marlow Mum wrote:
I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light?
If Marlow Mum doesn't have the figures and the Observer which was misinformed on this subject by Philip Wayne (see: http://www.bucksfree
press.co.uk/news/110
75831.Confusion_over
_national_newspaper_
s_11__report/?cmpid=
cmt) could not get them from BCC Education Department because they belonged to individual schools then how is Val Letheren able to make these statements?
[quote][p][bold]Marlow Mum[/bold] wrote: I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light?[/p][/quote]If Marlow Mum doesn't have the figures and the Observer which was misinformed on this subject by Philip Wayne (see: http://www.bucksfree press.co.uk/news/110 75831.Confusion_over _national_newspaper_ s_11__report/?cmpid= cmt) could not get them from BCC Education Department because they belonged to individual schools then how is Val Letheren able to make these statements? Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 1

12:48am Sat 29 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

I wouldn't bother communicating with Mike Appleyard - he ignores all communications after an initial endorsement using dodgy statements and statistics that he refuses to explain.
I wouldn't bother communicating with Mike Appleyard - he ignores all communications after an initial endorsement using dodgy statements and statistics that he refuses to explain. Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 2

12:53am Sat 29 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

STEPS are being taken to close the gap between the success of pupils from wealthier backgrounds and those from less affluent families.
There is currently a large gap in Bucks which is bigger than most authorities in the UK.


Hold on … something the matter here … I thought the whole justification for the 11+ and ‘selection’ was that it was fiercely impartial, meritocratic and accurate and that it sorted out talented children at an early age with complete disregard for social class - surely Ms Letheren, Philip Wayne and the others are doing something unnecessary!

At least that is what they have been telling us all along.

(I wonder what Sue Imbriano at BCC has to say about this.)
[italic] STEPS are being taken to close the gap between the success of pupils from wealthier backgrounds and those from less affluent families. There is currently a large gap in Bucks which is bigger than most authorities in the UK. [/italic] Hold on … something the matter here … I thought the whole justification for the 11+ and ‘selection’ was that it was fiercely impartial, meritocratic and accurate and that it sorted out talented children at an early age with complete disregard for social class - surely Ms Letheren, Philip Wayne and the others are doing something unnecessary! At least that is what they have been telling us all along. (I wonder what Sue Imbriano at BCC has to say about this.) Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 5

12:56am Sat 29 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

Undercover Euro Yob wrote:
Marlow Mum wrote:
I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light?
If Marlow Mum doesn't have the figures and the Observer which was misinformed on this subject by Philip Wayne (see: http://www.bucksfree

press.co.uk/news/110

75831.Confusion_over

_national_newspaper_

s_11__report/?cmpid=

cmt) could not get them from BCC Education Department because they belonged to individual schools then how is Val Letheren able to make these statements?
Unless of course she is just making up vague statements without any justification because grammar schools and illusory 'excellence' are so S E X Y !
[quote][p][bold]Undercover Euro Yob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marlow Mum[/bold] wrote: I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light?[/p][/quote]If Marlow Mum doesn't have the figures and the Observer which was misinformed on this subject by Philip Wayne (see: http://www.bucksfree press.co.uk/news/110 75831.Confusion_over _national_newspaper_ s_11__report/?cmpid= cmt) could not get them from BCC Education Department because they belonged to individual schools then how is Val Letheren able to make these statements?[/p][/quote]Unless of course she is just making up vague statements without any justification because grammar schools and illusory 'excellence' are so S E X Y ! Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 0

1:01am Sat 29 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going."

What do you think -
‘Not published yet’ but ’it sounds like’.

- does this seem like a rational and well-researched statement?

Be ashamed Val Letheren - resign like Mike Appleyard when he was the chair of the governors on a failing school. (Why didn't he resign from his position as 'Cabinet Member for Education' or whatever at BCC while he was about it - he can still be seen sounding off mindlessly in the BFP now.)
[italic] She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." [/italic] What do you think - [italic] ‘Not published yet’ but ’it sounds like’. [/italic] - does this seem like a rational and well-researched statement? Be ashamed Val Letheren - resign like Mike Appleyard when he was the chair of the governors on a failing school. (Why didn't he resign from his position as 'Cabinet Member for Education' or whatever at BCC while he was about it - he can still be seen sounding off mindlessly in the BFP now.) Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 1

6:26am Sat 29 Mar 14

MunsterX says...

A good bit of research Undercover, well done. Lezza?
A good bit of research Undercover, well done. Lezza? MunsterX
  • Score: 0

8:37am Sat 29 Mar 14

itsallfutile says...

Welwyn Dowd,
Intelligent people do not make unfounded assertions. Obviously dim and envious ones do. Comprehensives and striking teachers are the means of keeping bright children from an education which they deserve and have continually dragged down standards to a point where British state education is in terminal decline.
If you want only a system where the state or some unaccountable bureaucrat decides where your children are educated, God help you.
Don't knock parents who do the best for their children. Don't you?
A voucher system would allow parental choice but it would still be necessary to select children according to ability unless you are one of those dumb dumber-downers.
Welwyn Dowd, Intelligent people do not make unfounded assertions. Obviously dim and envious ones do. Comprehensives and striking teachers are the means of keeping bright children from an education which they deserve and have continually dragged down standards to a point where British state education is in terminal decline. If you want only a system where the state or some unaccountable bureaucrat decides where your children are educated, God help you. Don't knock parents who do the best for their children. Don't you? A voucher system would allow parental choice but it would still be necessary to select children according to ability unless you are one of those dumb dumber-downers. itsallfutile
  • Score: 1

1:51pm Sat 29 Mar 14

Bajina says...

itsallfutile wrote:
Welwyn Dowd,
Intelligent people do not make unfounded assertions. Obviously dim and envious ones do. Comprehensives and striking teachers are the means of keeping bright children from an education which they deserve and have continually dragged down standards to a point where British state education is in terminal decline.
If you want only a system where the state or some unaccountable bureaucrat decides where your children are educated, God help you.
Don't knock parents who do the best for their children. Don't you?
A voucher system would allow parental choice but it would still be necessary to select children according to ability unless you are one of those dumb dumber-downers.
Voucher System - please let us hear more of this alternative system for Bucks.
British state education is not in terminal decline. Even Bucks hard pushed and under-funded Secondary Moderns get good achievements, see latest BFP league tables & results.
One exception I confess - Ofsted reports have been universally bad lately. I will concede this point to you.
Personalizing attacks do not further this debate on the causes & remedy for the Bucks Gap. The Gap is morally wrong and a damning indictment for our Bucks. If we do not reduce this Gap, there will be very serious negative consequences on Bucks economy. And to repeat - morally wrong. A high level politician like Val & her Committee committed 5/6 months investigating this Gap. She and County Council need carefully considered feedback.
Bucks state school system is Very Accountable! Ask the Head of my school. Governors carefully monitor his and the schools performance & all actions. She/he in turn is clever enough to welcome andto use being held accountable.
[quote][p][bold]itsallfutile[/bold] wrote: Welwyn Dowd, Intelligent people do not make unfounded assertions. Obviously dim and envious ones do. Comprehensives and striking teachers are the means of keeping bright children from an education which they deserve and have continually dragged down standards to a point where British state education is in terminal decline. If you want only a system where the state or some unaccountable bureaucrat decides where your children are educated, God help you. Don't knock parents who do the best for their children. Don't you? A voucher system would allow parental choice but it would still be necessary to select children according to ability unless you are one of those dumb dumber-downers.[/p][/quote]Voucher System - please let us hear more of this alternative system for Bucks. British state education is not in terminal decline. Even Bucks hard pushed and under-funded Secondary Moderns get good achievements, see latest BFP league tables & results. One exception I confess - Ofsted reports have been universally bad lately. I will concede this point to you. Personalizing attacks do not further this debate on the causes & remedy for the Bucks Gap. The Gap is morally wrong and a damning indictment for our Bucks. If we do not reduce this Gap, there will be very serious negative consequences on Bucks economy. And to repeat - morally wrong. A high level politician like Val & her Committee committed 5/6 months investigating this Gap. She and County Council need carefully considered feedback. Bucks state school system is Very Accountable! Ask the Head of my school. Governors carefully monitor his and the schools performance & all actions. She/he in turn is clever enough to welcome andto use being held accountable. Bajina
  • Score: 1

12:36am Sun 30 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

itsallfutile wrote:
Welwyn Dowd,
Intelligent people do not make unfounded assertions. Obviously dim and envious ones do. Comprehensives and striking teachers are the means of keeping bright children from an education which they deserve and have continually dragged down standards to a point where British state education is in terminal decline.
If you want only a system where the state or some unaccountable bureaucrat decides where your children are educated, God help you.
Don't knock parents who do the best for their children. Don't you?
A voucher system would allow parental choice but it would still be necessary to select children according to ability unless you are one of those dumb dumber-downers.
Welwyn Dowd,
Intelligent people do not make unfounded assertions. Obviously dim and envious ones do.

Please explain further.

Comprehensives and striking teachers are the means of keeping bright children from an education which they deserve
I won’t say anything about striking teachers one way or another but ‘selection’ is what has dragged standards down in this county not comprehensives - although the BFP preferred to ignore it at the time, David Laws mentioned Bucks by name, for the low standard of achievement by 11+ failures, and some of the most talented and most successful people in our country went to comprehensives.
Considering that local grammar schools cream off the most talented local children (in a very rough and ready fashion) and take 47% of their intake from other counties and favour the privately-educated (see: http://www.bucksfree
press.co.uk/yoursay/
opinion/yourletters/
11098811.Now_47__pup
ils_are_from_outside
_Bucks/) then it would be true to say that local grammar schools are not so good either - the highest performer is Dr Challoner's Grammar School at joint position 26 in the top 100 selective schools in the country - the famously snobby Royal Grammar School at High Wycombe is 99th out of about 164 in the country. (see: http://www.independe
nt.co.uk/news/educat
ion/secondary-tables
-2012/the-top-100-se
lective-schools-at-a
level-6294995.html)

… and have continually dragged down standards to a point where British state education is in terminal decline.

Please explain a bit further’

If you want only a system where the state or some unaccountable bureaucrat decides where your children are educated, God help you.

What like Sue Imbriano, Philip Wayne or Mike Appleyard? (Oh - wait Silent Mike is elected he just behaves as if he has been appointed permanently!)


Don't knock parents who do the best for their children. Don't you?

He’s not knocking them and if he talks some truth about the grammar schools he is doing the best for his own and other people’s children.


A voucher system would allow parental choice but it would still be necessary to select children according to ability unless you are one of those dumb dumber-downers.
If that is so then why do comprehensive schools do so well?


Congratulations on resurrecting, or at least refreshing, two staple myths of the defenders of ‘selection’ - 'envy' is the motive of opponents who wish to ‘equal things down’ or as you now say ‘dumb them down’.
[quote][p][bold]itsallfutile[/bold] wrote: Welwyn Dowd, Intelligent people do not make unfounded assertions. Obviously dim and envious ones do. Comprehensives and striking teachers are the means of keeping bright children from an education which they deserve and have continually dragged down standards to a point where British state education is in terminal decline. If you want only a system where the state or some unaccountable bureaucrat decides where your children are educated, God help you. Don't knock parents who do the best for their children. Don't you? A voucher system would allow parental choice but it would still be necessary to select children according to ability unless you are one of those dumb dumber-downers.[/p][/quote]Welwyn Dowd, [italic] Intelligent people do not make unfounded assertions. Obviously dim and envious ones do. [/italic] Please explain further. [italic] Comprehensives and striking teachers are the means of keeping bright children from an education which they deserve [/italic] I won’t say anything about striking teachers one way or another but ‘selection’ is what has dragged standards down in this county not comprehensives - although the BFP preferred to ignore it at the time, David Laws mentioned Bucks by name, for the low standard of achievement by 11+ failures, and some of the most talented and most successful people in our country went to comprehensives. Considering that local grammar schools cream off the most talented local children (in a very rough and ready fashion) and take 47% of their intake from other counties and favour the privately-educated (see: http://www.bucksfree press.co.uk/yoursay/ opinion/yourletters/ 11098811.Now_47__pup ils_are_from_outside _Bucks/) then it would be true to say that local grammar schools are not so good either - the highest performer is Dr Challoner's Grammar School at joint position 26 in the top 100 selective schools in the country - the famously snobby Royal Grammar School at High Wycombe is 99th out of about 164 in the country. (see: http://www.independe nt.co.uk/news/educat ion/secondary-tables -2012/the-top-100-se lective-schools-at-a level-6294995.html) [italic] … and have continually dragged down standards to a point where British state education is in terminal decline. [/italic] Please explain a bit further’ [italic] If you want only a system where the state or some unaccountable bureaucrat decides where your children are educated, God help you. [/italic] What like Sue Imbriano, Philip Wayne or Mike Appleyard? (Oh - wait Silent Mike is elected he just behaves as if he has been appointed permanently!) [italic] Don't knock parents who do the best for their children. Don't you? [/italic] He’s not knocking them and if he talks some truth about the grammar schools he [italic]is[/italic] doing the best for his own and other people’s children. [italic] A voucher system would allow parental choice but it would still be necessary to select children according to ability unless you are one of those dumb dumber-downers. [/italic] If that is so then why do comprehensive schools do so well? Congratulations on resurrecting, or at least refreshing, two staple myths of the defenders of ‘selection’ - 'envy' is the motive of opponents who wish to ‘equal things down’ or as you now say ‘dumb them down’. Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 1

12:44am Sun 30 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

Marlow Mum wrote:
I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light?
No of course we can't shed any light 'MM' - the workings of the test are kept secret by what 'itsallfutile' would call 'some unaccountable bureaucrat' and by the fact that the marvellous new independent academies we all pay for are owners of the data.


Don't ask embarrassing questions - just keep paying your council tax and be silently grateful that well-off people in Herts and West London think so highly of the schools you pay for - well some of the schools.
[quote][p][bold]Marlow Mum[/bold] wrote: I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light?[/p][/quote]No of course we can't shed any light 'MM' - the workings of the test are kept secret by what 'itsallfutile' would call 'some unaccountable bureaucrat' and by the fact that the marvellous new independent academies we all pay for are owners of the data. Don't ask embarrassing questions - just keep paying your council tax and be silently grateful that well-off people in Herts and West London think so highly of the schools you pay for - well some of the schools. Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 0

2:03am Sun 30 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

They're going to close the gap while their system is making it?
They're going to close the gap while their system is making it? Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 1

12:14pm Sun 30 Mar 14

HerculePoirot says...

' And Cllr Letheren said the new 11+ test appears to have also let in a wider range of children. She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." '

The fact that Cllr Letheren thinks that a change in the format of the 11+ test should form part of a strategy to close the attainment gap in Bucks is laughable. The 11+ is the main CAUSE of this problem, not the solution!!!

I think there has recently been a major shift in opinion against the 11+ in Bucks. The premature noises coming out of the Grammar Heads and Bucks CC about the "success" of this "new" test look increasingly desperate to me. As posters here have noted the main benficiaries have been from private prep schools and out-of-county.

Keep the pressure up, mon braves!!!
' And Cllr Letheren said the new 11+ test appears to have also let in a wider range of children. She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." ' The fact that Cllr Letheren thinks that a change in the format of the 11+ test should form part of a strategy to close the attainment gap in Bucks is laughable. The 11+ is the main CAUSE of this problem, not the solution!!! I think there has recently been a major shift in opinion against the 11+ in Bucks. The premature noises coming out of the Grammar Heads and Bucks CC about the "success" of this "new" test look increasingly desperate to me. As posters here have noted the main benficiaries have been from private prep schools and out-of-county. Keep the pressure up, mon braves!!! HerculePoirot
  • Score: 4

1:49pm Sun 30 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

HerculePoirot wrote:
' And Cllr Letheren said the new 11+ test appears to have also let in a wider range of children. She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." '

The fact that Cllr Letheren thinks that a change in the format of the 11+ test should form part of a strategy to close the attainment gap in Bucks is laughable. The 11+ is the main CAUSE of this problem, not the solution!!!

I think there has recently been a major shift in opinion against the 11+ in Bucks. The premature noises coming out of the Grammar Heads and Bucks CC about the "success" of this "new" test look increasingly desperate to me. As posters here have noted the main benficiaries have been from private prep schools and out-of-county.

Keep the pressure up, mon braves!!!
There hasn't been a major change amongst councillors and Philip Wayne and Sue Imbriano - what on earth do they support this discredited exam FOR?
[quote][p][bold]HerculePoirot[/bold] wrote: ' And Cllr Letheren said the new 11+ test appears to have also let in a wider range of children. She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." ' The fact that Cllr Letheren thinks that a change in the format of the 11+ test should form part of a strategy to close the attainment gap in Bucks is laughable. The 11+ is the main CAUSE of this problem, not the solution!!! I think there has recently been a major shift in opinion against the 11+ in Bucks. The premature noises coming out of the Grammar Heads and Bucks CC about the "success" of this "new" test look increasingly desperate to me. As posters here have noted the main benficiaries have been from private prep schools and out-of-county. Keep the pressure up, mon braves!!![/p][/quote]There hasn't been a major change amongst councillors and Philip Wayne and Sue Imbriano - what on earth do they support this discredited exam FOR? Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 2

11:51pm Sun 30 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

Undercover Euro Yob wrote:
Marlow Mum wrote:
I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light?
No of course we can't shed any light 'MM' - the workings of the test are kept secret by what 'itsallfutile' would call 'some unaccountable bureaucrat' and by the fact that the marvellous new independent academies we all pay for are owners of the data.


Don't ask embarrassing questions - just keep paying your council tax and be silently grateful that well-off people in Herts and West London think so highly of the schools you pay for - well some of the schools.
In case there is any doubt - that was meant ironically 'Marlow Mum' - your contributions are more valuable than others as you are female - not some obdurate middle-aged bloke - and a mother.


Keep on with the embarrassing questions.
[quote][p][bold]Undercover Euro Yob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marlow Mum[/bold] wrote: I don't have any clear figures as no one seems to be keen on revealing any facts about the new 11+. However, the rumour - and indeed it is just rumour - that I heard is that close to 100% of the kids that took the 11+ at the aforementioned school achieved the pass mark. I'd be very interested to know if this is the case... Can anyone else shed any light?[/p][/quote]No of course we can't shed any light 'MM' - the workings of the test are kept secret by what 'itsallfutile' would call 'some unaccountable bureaucrat' and by the fact that the marvellous new independent academies we all pay for are owners of the data. Don't ask embarrassing questions - just keep paying your council tax and be silently grateful that well-off people in Herts and West London think so highly of the schools you pay for - well some of the schools.[/p][/quote]In case there is any doubt - that was meant ironically 'Marlow Mum' - your contributions are more valuable than others as you are female - not some obdurate middle-aged bloke - and a mother. Keep on with the embarrassing questions. Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 4

12:54am Mon 31 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

I would like to say several things about this:

The BFO has a long-established record of publishing meaningless enthusiastic rubbish in support of educational ‘selection’ in Bucks. Last year when David Laws attacked the county education system by name this paper ignored him and published a report by Savills the estate agents praising the education system in the county - before that it had published a web link for an impenetrable mass of statistics from the Education Department in order to ‘aid parents in their choice of secondary school’. So the report above is in a great tradition.

You say:
Apparently The cabinet embraced seven of the committee’s 12 recommendations to help narrow the gap and raise attainment levels, and it is considering further work on the other five.

What were the twelve recommendations and when you say These include are you referring to the seven ‘embraced’ recommendations or the five it is ‘considering further work on’?
Apparently the ones that have been included are are four in number:
work on harnessing the approach by Learning Development Centres to offer learning opportunities for economically disadvantaged families;

looking at further improving literacy;

reviewing support for parents in supporting their vulnerable children;

and strengthening the commitment to ensure economically disadvantaged pupils perform well in all school settings.

This is firm stuff isn’t it? ‘
‘Looking, reviewing support
and (of course) strengthening commitments’
Is BCC Education Committee fiercely committed to improvement or what?

Enough has been said above about the idiocy of Val Letheren’s statements so I will go on to:

Mike Appleyard, deputy leader and cabinet member for education and skills, (who) said: "I’m very keen that all children are given every opportunity to … to achieve their full potential.


The whole reason that children are manifestly not doing this is that the whole system is geared towards advantaging and hothousing a minority of children, almost half of them now from outside Bucks - that’s why so many people are sending their children into Bucks from other counties, and the private sector, to be educated at our expense if they get through the 11+ and why so many are sending their children to Bourne End BR station in the morning to get them educated elsewhere if they fail it. This should not be a cause for pride on your part - BCC is not here to provide an alternative form of private education on the rates to a minority and to outsiders - it should be here to educate all our children and give them all equal opportunities to shine and in spite of your fine words you are not doing that.

"We’re already doing a great deal of very good work and the committee’s report focuses our attention on areas where we can make the transition from 'very good' to 'better'.’

What planet in Bourne End does Mike live on? He is the former chair of governors at a school that was taken into special measures - there is always a school somewhere locally in special measures and sometimes it is doing better than other schools that are not in special measures - and the county education system has been singled out for rebuke by name by David Laws and Ofsted - which part of the system is giving ‘very good work’?

Finally is it true that the report findings of Professor Steve Strand, Professor of Education at the University of Oxford Department of Education are amongst the recommendations BCC is ‘considering further work on’ and is there any truth in the idea that the findings have been ignored because Professor Strand is regarded as ideologically unsound in the view of BCC Education zealots as he says that his:

Research Interests (are):

I am interested in equity gaps – particularly in relation to ethnicity, social class and gender – in a wide range of educational outcomes (educational achievement, progress, attendance, exclusion, SEN) at all stages of statutory schooling and beyond.
?
(See: http://www.education
.ox.ac.uk/about-us/d
irectory/professor-s
teve-strand/ )
See also for above:
http://www.independe
nt.co.uk/news/educat
ion/education-news/s
chools-in-welloff-ar
eas-are-failing-poor
er-pupils--who-get-b
etter-exam-results-i
n-deprived-areas-858
3703.html)
http://www.bucksfree
press.co.uk/yoursay/
opinion/bfpcomment/1
0617950.A_mazing_res
ults_across_the_boar
d/
I would like to say several things about this: The BFO has a long-established record of publishing meaningless enthusiastic rubbish in support of educational ‘selection’ in Bucks. Last year when David Laws attacked the county education system by name this paper ignored him and published a report by Savills the estate agents praising the education system in the county - before that it had published a web link for an impenetrable mass of statistics from the Education Department in order to ‘aid parents in their choice of secondary school’. So the report above is in a great tradition. You say: Apparently [italic] The cabinet embraced seven of the committee’s 12 recommendations to help narrow the gap and raise attainment levels, and it is considering further work on the other five. [/italic] What [italic] were [/italic] the twelve recommendations and when you say [italic] These include [/italic] are you referring to the seven ‘embraced’ recommendations or the five it is ‘considering further work on’? Apparently the ones that have been [italic] included [/italic]are [italic] are four in number: work on harnessing the approach by Learning Development Centres to offer learning opportunities for economically disadvantaged families; looking at further improving literacy; reviewing support for parents in supporting their vulnerable children; and strengthening the commitment to ensure economically disadvantaged pupils perform well in all school settings. [/italic] This is firm stuff isn’t it? ‘[italic] ‘Looking, reviewing support[/italic] and (of course) [italic]strengthening commitments’ [/italic] Is BCC Education Committee [italic]fiercely [/italic]committed to improvement or [italic] what? [/italic] Enough has been said above about the idiocy of Val Letheren’s statements so I will go on to: [italic] Mike Appleyard, deputy leader and cabinet member for education and skills, (who) said: "I’m very keen that all children are given every opportunity to … to achieve their full potential. [/italic] The whole reason that children are manifestly [italic]not [/italic]doing this is that the whole system is geared towards advantaging and hothousing a minority of children, almost half of them now from outside Bucks - that’s why so many people are sending their children into Bucks from other counties, and the private sector, to be educated at our expense if they get through the 11+ and why so many are sending their children to Bourne End BR station in the morning to get them educated elsewhere if they fail it. This should not be a cause for pride on your part - BCC is not here to provide an alternative form of private education on the rates to a minority and to outsiders - it should be here to educate [italic]all [/italic]our children and give them all equal opportunities to shine and in spite of your fine words you are not doing that. [italic]"We’re already doing a great deal of very good work and the committee’s report focuses our attention on areas where we can make the transition from 'very good' to 'better'.’ [/italic] What planet in Bourne End does Mike live on? He is the former chair of governors at a school that was taken into special measures - there is always a school somewhere locally in special measures and sometimes it is doing better than other schools that are not in special measures - and the county education system has been singled out for rebuke by name by David Laws and Ofsted - which part of the system is giving ‘very good work’? Finally is it true that the report findings of Professor Steve Strand, Professor of Education at the University of Oxford Department of Education are amongst the recommendations BCC is ‘considering further work on’ and is there any truth in the idea that the findings have been ignored because Professor Strand is regarded as ideologically unsound in the view of BCC Education zealots as he says that his: [italic] Research Interests (are): I am interested in equity gaps – particularly in relation to ethnicity, social class and gender – in a wide range of educational outcomes (educational achievement, progress, attendance, exclusion, SEN) at all stages of statutory schooling and beyond. [/italic]? (See: http://www.education .ox.ac.uk/about-us/d irectory/professor-s teve-strand/ ) See also for above: http://www.independe nt.co.uk/news/educat ion/education-news/s chools-in-welloff-ar eas-are-failing-poor er-pupils--who-get-b etter-exam-results-i n-deprived-areas-858 3703.html) http://www.bucksfree press.co.uk/yoursay/ opinion/bfpcomment/1 0617950.A_mazing_res ults_across_the_boar d/ Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 3

12:57am Mon 31 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

I suspect Val Letheren and Mike Appleyard and the other selection zealots are going through the motions of helping less well-off children and when the interest dies away they will quietly drop everything and carry on as before with meritocratic excellence BS.


(Or silence with occasional meaningless endorsements like the ones above, in the case of Mike Appleyard.)
I suspect Val Letheren and Mike Appleyard and the other selection zealots are going through the motions of helping less well-off children and when the interest dies away they will quietly drop everything and carry on as before with meritocratic excellence BS. (Or silence with occasional meaningless endorsements like the ones above, in the case of Mike Appleyard.) Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 4

10:41pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

HerculePoirot wrote:
' And Cllr Letheren said the new 11+ test appears to have also let in a wider range of children. She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." '

The fact that Cllr Letheren thinks that a change in the format of the 11+ test should form part of a strategy to close the attainment gap in Bucks is laughable. The 11+ is the main CAUSE of this problem, not the solution!!!

I think there has recently been a major shift in opinion against the 11+ in Bucks. The premature noises coming out of the Grammar Heads and Bucks CC about the "success" of this "new" test look increasingly desperate to me. As posters here have noted the main benficiaries have been from private prep schools and out-of-county.

Keep the pressure up, mon braves!!!
Mes braves Hercules!

(Vous avez fait un erreur de concordance de Nombre.)
[quote][p][bold]HerculePoirot[/bold] wrote: ' And Cllr Letheren said the new 11+ test appears to have also let in a wider range of children. She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." ' The fact that Cllr Letheren thinks that a change in the format of the 11+ test should form part of a strategy to close the attainment gap in Bucks is laughable. The 11+ is the main CAUSE of this problem, not the solution!!! I think there has recently been a major shift in opinion against the 11+ in Bucks. The premature noises coming out of the Grammar Heads and Bucks CC about the "success" of this "new" test look increasingly desperate to me. As posters here have noted the main benficiaries have been from private prep schools and out-of-county. Keep the pressure up, mon braves!!![/p][/quote][italic]Mes [/italic]braves Hercules! (Vous avez fait un erreur de concordance de Nombre.) Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 0

10:56pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

Welwyn Dowd wrote:
I always thought the point of the 11+ was to keep the poor kids out of grammar schools? After all, once you've paid all those school fees you don't want Tarquin and Jocasta mixing with the wrong sort of children. Ok, a few are going to slip through, even a few from the 'Commonwealth' but the 11+ keeps it to a manageable minority. Enough to give a veneer of fair play but not so many as can't be kept in their proper place.
Welwyn - see my post above at 12:57am Mon 31 Mar 14.
[quote][p][bold]Welwyn Dowd[/bold] wrote: I always thought the point of the 11+ was to keep the poor kids out of grammar schools? After all, once you've paid all those school fees you don't want Tarquin and Jocasta mixing with the wrong sort of children. Ok, a few are going to slip through, even a few from the 'Commonwealth' but the 11+ keeps it to a manageable minority. Enough to give a veneer of fair play but not so many as can't be kept in their proper place.[/p][/quote]Welwyn - see my post above at 12:57am Mon 31 Mar 14. Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 0

11:09pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

HerculePoirot wrote:
' And Cllr Letheren said the new 11+ test appears to have also let in a wider range of children. She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." '

The fact that Cllr Letheren thinks that a change in the format of the 11+ test should form part of a strategy to close the attainment gap in Bucks is laughable. The 11+ is the main CAUSE of this problem, not the solution!!!

I think there has recently been a major shift in opinion against the 11+ in Bucks. The premature noises coming out of the Grammar Heads and Bucks CC about the "success" of this "new" test look increasingly desperate to me. As posters here have noted the main benficiaries have been from private prep schools and out-of-county.

Keep the pressure up, mon braves!!!
I think they'll just carry on doggedly actually - these people are zealots - Mike Appleyard must know the whole thing is pear-shaped - one of his sons went years ago to the same school he was chairman of the governors at until recently, while the other son went to a grammar school - does he really think his offspring are so different that an exam can detect it and what was he thinking while the school he was a governor at went into special measures?

They don't give intelligent replies to attacks on the system - they believe in it by faith and against rationality.
[quote][p][bold]HerculePoirot[/bold] wrote: ' And Cllr Letheren said the new 11+ test appears to have also let in a wider range of children. She said: "There is support out there now for the new test. It sounds like, I know it's not published yet, there are more children from schools where children who haven't been to grammar schools are now going." ' The fact that Cllr Letheren thinks that a change in the format of the 11+ test should form part of a strategy to close the attainment gap in Bucks is laughable. The 11+ is the main CAUSE of this problem, not the solution!!! I think there has recently been a major shift in opinion against the 11+ in Bucks. The premature noises coming out of the Grammar Heads and Bucks CC about the "success" of this "new" test look increasingly desperate to me. As posters here have noted the main benficiaries have been from private prep schools and out-of-county. Keep the pressure up, mon braves!!![/p][/quote]I think they'll just carry on doggedly actually - these people are zealots - Mike Appleyard [italic]must [/italic]know the whole thing is pear-shaped - one of his sons went years ago to the same school he was chairman of the governors at until recently, while the other son went to a grammar school - does he really think his offspring are so different that an exam can detect it and what was he thinking while the school he was a governor at went into special measures? They don't give intelligent replies to attacks on the system - they [italic]believe [/italic]in it by faith and against rationality. Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 5

11:16pm Mon 31 Mar 14

HerculePoirot says...

The report is here (not sure there is a link in this article).

http://www.buckscc.g
ov.uk/about-your-cou
ncil/scrutiny/educat
ion,-skills-children
s-services/narrowing
-the-gap-inquiry/

I don't think they'd ask Steve Strand about this: "I don't approve of the selective system, largely because of the negative consequences for those who are not selected".

Indeed - Mes braves!!
The report is here (not sure there is a link in this article). http://www.buckscc.g ov.uk/about-your-cou ncil/scrutiny/educat ion,-skills-children s-services/narrowing -the-gap-inquiry/ I don't think they'd ask Steve Strand about this: "I don't approve of the selective system, largely because of the negative consequences for those who are not selected". Indeed - Mes braves!! HerculePoirot
  • Score: 5

10:06am Wed 2 Apr 14

sunisshining says...

Pupil premium is vital for narrowing the attainment gap. Here is one of the ways it can be put to good use http://www.place2be.
org.uk/what-we-do/su
pporting-schools/pup
il-premium/
Pupil premium is vital for narrowing the attainment gap. Here is one of the ways it can be put to good use http://www.place2be. org.uk/what-we-do/su pporting-schools/pup il-premium/ sunisshining
  • Score: 0

10:15pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

sunisshining wrote:
Pupil premium is vital for narrowing the attainment gap. Here is one of the ways it can be put to good use http://www.place2be.

org.uk/what-we-do/su

pporting-schools/pup

il-premium/
http://www.place2be.
org.uk/what-we-do/su
pporting-schools/pup
il-premium/ is a weblink for ‘Place2Be’ an organization that says:


Place2Be provides emotional and therapeutic services in primary and secondary schools, building children's resilience through talking, creative work and play. We currently reach 75,000 children, helping them to cope with wide-ranging and often complex social issues including bullying, bereavement, domestic violence, family breakdown, neglect and trauma.


The ‘attainment gap’ is one artifically created and maintained between Secondary Modern and Grammar Schools in our area - anything ‘Place2Be’ can do is merely palliative of a fundamentally unsound and irrational system and a distraction from the fact that the education system in this county is a great confidence trick. Get rid of 'selection' and a two tier system and you will be well on the way to getting rid of the 'attainment gap' between the two tiers of the system.
[quote][p][bold]sunisshining[/bold] wrote: Pupil premium is vital for narrowing the attainment gap. Here is one of the ways it can be put to good use http://www.place2be. org.uk/what-we-do/su pporting-schools/pup il-premium/[/p][/quote]http://www.place2be. org.uk/what-we-do/su pporting-schools/pup il-premium/ is a weblink for ‘Place2Be’ an organization that says: [italic] Place2Be provides emotional and therapeutic services in primary and secondary schools, building children's resilience through talking, creative work and play. We currently reach 75,000 children, helping them to cope with wide-ranging and often complex social issues including bullying, bereavement, domestic violence, family breakdown, neglect and trauma. [/italic] The ‘attainment gap’ is one artifically created and maintained between Secondary Modern and Grammar Schools in our area - anything ‘Place2Be’ can do is merely palliative of a fundamentally unsound and irrational system and a distraction from the fact that the education system in this county is a great confidence trick. Get rid of 'selection' and a two tier system and you will be well on the way to getting rid of the 'attainment gap' between the two tiers of the system. Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 2

10:22pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

Their website also quotes a headmaster as saying:

‘We want our children to be good learners, but they cannot achieve when they are burdened with unhappiness. The therapeutic approach of Place2Be enables our pupils to achieve well and the school to raise standards.’

Surely a major source of unhappiness in our system is that 11+ failures have been abandoned by the system and aware of it and however talented they may be or not be they are never going to have a fair crack of the whip with regard to education as far as they can see - what other serious sources of unhappiness do you think can be mitigated by the intervention of Place2Be that are not present everywhere else in our society?
Their website also quotes a headmaster as saying: [italic] ‘We want our children to be good learners, but they cannot achieve when they are burdened with unhappiness. The therapeutic approach of Place2Be enables our pupils to achieve well and the school to raise standards.’ [/italic] Surely a major source of unhappiness in our system is that 11+ failures have been abandoned by the system and aware of it and however talented they may be or not be they are never going to have a fair crack of the whip with regard to education as far as they can see - what other serious sources of unhappiness do you think can be mitigated by the intervention of Place2Be that are not present everywhere else in our society? Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 2

9:30am Thu 3 Apr 14

HerculePoirot says...

Agree with that. These are latest Osted ratings apparently..

Upper Schools:
Chiltern Hills Academy Good
The Grange School Good
Cressex Community School Requires Improvement
The Wye Valley School Inadequate
St Michael's Catholic School Good
The Misbourne School Good
The Aylesbury Vale Academy Satisfactory

Buckingham School Requires Improvement
Burnham Park E-ACT Academy Requires Improvement
The Mandeville School Inadequate
Highcrest Academy Requires Improvement
Princes Risborough Requires Improvement
John Colet School Requires Improvement
Holmer Green Senior School Requires Improvement
Burnham Park E-ACT Academy Requires Improvement
The Beaconsfield School Satisfactory
Sir William Ramsay School Good
Amersham School Good
The Chalfonts Community College Good
Waddesdon Church of England School Outstanding
Great Marlow School Good
The Cottesloe School Requires Improvement

Grammar Schools:
John Hampden Grammar School Outstanding
Burnham Grammar School Good
Aylesbury High School Outstanding
Dr Challoner's High School Outstanding
Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School Good
Chesham Grammar School Outstanding
Aylesbury Grammar School Outstanding
Royal Latin School Outstanding
Wycombe High School Outstanding
Dr Challoner's Grammar School Outstanding
Sir William Borlase's Grammar School Outstanding
Beaconsfield High School Outstanding
Agree with that. These are latest Osted ratings apparently.. Upper Schools: Chiltern Hills Academy Good The Grange School Good Cressex Community School Requires Improvement The Wye Valley School Inadequate St Michael's Catholic School Good The Misbourne School Good The Aylesbury Vale Academy Satisfactory Buckingham School Requires Improvement Burnham Park E-ACT Academy Requires Improvement The Mandeville School Inadequate Highcrest Academy Requires Improvement Princes Risborough Requires Improvement John Colet School Requires Improvement Holmer Green Senior School Requires Improvement Burnham Park E-ACT Academy Requires Improvement The Beaconsfield School Satisfactory Sir William Ramsay School Good Amersham School Good The Chalfonts Community College Good Waddesdon Church of England School Outstanding Great Marlow School Good The Cottesloe School Requires Improvement Grammar Schools: John Hampden Grammar School Outstanding Burnham Grammar School Good Aylesbury High School Outstanding Dr Challoner's High School Outstanding Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School Good Chesham Grammar School Outstanding Aylesbury Grammar School Outstanding Royal Latin School Outstanding Wycombe High School Outstanding Dr Challoner's Grammar School Outstanding Sir William Borlase's Grammar School Outstanding Beaconsfield High School Outstanding HerculePoirot
  • Score: 6

1:32pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

p
p Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 1

2:09pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Undercover Euro Yob says...

These ratings for grammar schools will now be treated as justification for the system by the ideologues of 'selection' - as if the children who produce outstanding results could not do so in comprehensive schools while the ratings for the substantial majority of children – kept dull in secondary modern schools - will be dismissed.



A justification for the system one sometimes hears is that if you put grammar school children in with the ones who fail the 11+ then the failures will 'drag down' the clever kids and in any case the 11+ failures 'simply cannot do it'.



Why does this not apply in counties where the 11+ has been abolished?



Can you tell us 'Hercule' what the proportion of 'O' and 'A' level qualifications is overall for children in the county - not separated into grammar school and secondary modern - and how we compare with counties where the great joke of 'selection' has been abolished – do children in Bucks overall do better – or is it just the minority in grammar schools?
These ratings for grammar schools will now be treated as justification for the system by the ideologues of 'selection' - as if the children who produce outstanding results could not do so in comprehensive schools while the ratings for the substantial majority of children – kept dull in secondary modern schools - will be dismissed. A justification for the system one sometimes hears is that if you put grammar school children in with the ones who fail the 11+ then the failures will 'drag down' the clever kids and in any case the 11+ failures 'simply cannot do it'. Why does this not apply in counties where the 11+ has been abolished? Can you tell us 'Hercule' what the proportion of 'O' and 'A' level qualifications is overall for children in the county - not separated into grammar school and secondary modern - and how we compare with counties where the great joke of 'selection' has been abolished – do children in Bucks [italic] overall[/italic] do better – or is it just the minority in grammar schools? Undercover Euro Yob
  • Score: 0

5:59pm Thu 3 Apr 14

HerculePoirot says...

As I understand it, these are Ofsted ratings for how "effective" the schools are. They show (to me at least) that the majority of children, who do not get selected, get a very raw deal from this system. Cllr Letheren said: "In Bucks we do have a larger gap than most authorities and we explored why this is". Since the children at grammar schools are overwhelmingly from wealthier backgrounds, I don't think Cllr Letheren would have to explore very far. Do children in Bucks overall do better - slightly worse I think when you take into account how wealthy the county is.
As I understand it, these are Ofsted ratings for how "effective" the schools are. They show (to me at least) that the majority of children, who do not get selected, get a very raw deal from this system. Cllr Letheren said: "In Bucks we do have a larger gap than most authorities and we explored why this is". Since the children at grammar schools are overwhelmingly from wealthier backgrounds, I don't think Cllr Letheren would have to explore very far. Do children in Bucks overall do better - slightly worse I think when you take into account how wealthy the county is. HerculePoirot
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree