Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or upload here
Warning to wake up to dangers of smoking in the home
9:40am Friday 11th April 2014 in News
FIREFIGHTERS in Bucks are urging smokers to wake up to the deadly dangers of smoking - particularly when they are tired, as a third of all deaths in fires in the home are caused by cigarettes.
The reminder is part of a national initiative, running throughout April, organised by the Government’s Fire Kills campaign Smoking is the single biggest killer in accidental fires in the home, often because people were smoking in bed or not taking care after drinking alcohol.
Last year there were 46 smoking-related fires in Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes, resulting in one death and two injuries.
Neil Boustred, head of Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service’s community safety team, said: "When smokers fall asleep with a lit cigarette in hand, the resulting fire is so close to them that it seriously lowers their chance of escaping in time.
"Despite a fall in the overall number of fires caused by these products, it’s still the biggest killer in accidental fires in the home across the country. Every six days, someone dies from a fire caused by cigarettes or smoking materials.
"Every smoker should wake up to the risks they take every time they light up, and drop the habit of smoking while in bed or under the influence of alcohol. The risk of falling asleep before you put it out is just too great. Just two to three breaths of toxic smoke can render you unconscious.
These simple steps can help prevent a cigarette fire in the home: • Never smoke in bed. Take care when you’re tired – it’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight.
• Never smoke when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape.
• Put it out completely. Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.
• Test your smoke alarms weekly or monthly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.
• Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended – they can easily overbalance as they burn down.
• Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn.
Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service will carry out free safety check to identify potential fire risks in your home, advise what to do to reduce or prevent them and fit free smoke alarms if required. Ring 01296 744477 or email email@example.com to book a visit.
For advice on giving up smoking, visit www.smokescape.org
Comments are closed on this article.