Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or upload here
Review underway after children hospitalised by swimming pool fault
A REVIEW of procedures is taking place at a leisure centre after 13 schoolchildren were taken to hospital with breathing difficulties following a fault with the swimming pool, councillors said this week.
The malfunction came as a result of a planned power cut the previous day and the water circulation system failed to restart.
The incident was discussed at the full council meeting of Chiltern District Council - which owns the White Hill-based leisure centre - last night.
Cllr Peter Hudson, cabinet member for community and leisure, said an investigation showed staff at the pool had followed the correct health and safety guidelines.
But he added Greenwich Leisure Ltd, the contractor which runs the centre on the council's behalf, was now undertaking a review of its existing procedures.
He said: "I haven't been advised of the timeline but it's an urgent review, so there's not going to be a significant delay."
Cllr Peter Jones asked why the fault wasn't spotted before pupils got into the water, but Cllr Hudson replied: "Before the children entered the water and disturbed the surface, there was no indication there was anything wrong."
Greenwich Leisure Ltd apologised for the incident and council chairman Noel Brown added at last night's meeting: "I hope we will communicate our apologies and regrets to the pupils at Gateway School, and the teachers who were unfortunately involved in this."
Comments are closed on this article.