The death of a woman who was found electrocuted at home is being reinvestigated by police after new evidence emerged at her inquest on Wednesday.

Susan Lloyd Genders, 61, was found lying on her side with her hands wrapped around two lampshades on December 1 last year.

Mrs Genders, of Burton's Lane, Little Chalfont, suffered severe burns on her hands and wrists and a post mortem concluded she died from electrocution.

Amersham Coroner's Court was due to pass a verdict of accidental death but her husband, Peter Genders, revealed he had found a fault with two sockets in the house - which may have caused her electrocution. Mr Genders believed the fault stemmed with an earth wire, which is installed to stop people getting electric shocks.

He said: "I believe someone had wired the earth into the live wire."

Mr Genders blamed electricians who had worked on the couple's home just last year as part of refurbishment work.

The inquest was adjourned by coroner for Buckinghamshire, Richard Hulett, who passed the case back to the police.

DS Paul Keeping, of Thames Valley Police, later confirmed the case was being re-investigated.

He said: "Following the hearing at coroner's court today, we have changed the focus of our investigation and will now be taking steps to identify the electricians who undertook the work."

The inquest heard Mr Genders, also of Little Chalfont, question the training of the electricians involved.

He said: "It is clearly the work they have undertaken that has caused the death."

Mr Hulett said the adjournment was "quite an unusual turn of events", as it was only the second time in 20 years where he had to refer a case back to the police.

He said: "Having heard the latter part of that I am not the best bit satisfied I should return a verdict at all.

"I have had a quick conversation with the police constable involved in this case - at any stage I'm going to adjourn the inquest and refer it back to police."

Mr Hulett said Mr Genders' inquiries put a "different complexion" on the case. Mr Genders told the inquest that the fault was discovered by an electrician who he asked to examine the house following his wife's death. He said the electrician had since corrected the error.

The inquest heard that Mrs Genders, a housewife, would have been putting up the new lampshades in her lounge. She was discovered by her husband around 6.30pm. It was initially claimed that her electrocution could have been caused by exposed live pins on one of the lampshades. Tests concluded nothing was wrong with the appliances themselves.