A 52-year-old man, who died following a double crash on a busy High Wycombe road, suffered from epilepsy, an inquest heard today.

Leon Fisk, from Penn, was driving along Hammersley Lane, off London Road, on June 27 when his Mercedes crashed into the back of a Rover carrying two women, just “seconds” away from his home.

It then carried on further up the road at speed, crashing into several parked vehicles, including an Enterprise transit van and a BMW.

The court heard that Mr Fisk suffered from epilepsy, taking medication to control the condition.

Giving evidence, his wife, Caren Fisk, said he had two seizures in 2009 the last known episode he had was in 2010 when she walked into the kitchen at their home in Hammersley Lane to find him “randomly” opening and closing the kitchen cupboards.

She said that his motor skills “seemed fine” but that he did not seem to know where he was.

He was taken to Wycombe Hospital where his medicine dosage was increased.

Also giving evidence, sisters Sheila Langley and Valerie Kearney, who were in the Rover, described the moment their car was hit by Mr Fisk’s in a statement read out by the coroner’s officer.

Ms Langley, who was driving the car, said: “…there was a huge bang and something hit us from behind.

“I then felt like I was being pushed along.”

Their car then went on to the grass verge, colliding with some concrete bollards. Eyewitnesses described seeing it roll over several times before landing back on its wheels.

Ms Langley added: “At one point it went through my head that I was going to die.”

Ms Kearney, who had been picked up by her sister earlier in the day to go to the supermarket, said: “We were driving back towards my home. About fifty yards from my driveway, suddenly there was an almighty bang.

“I screamed ‘Sheila what’s happening?’”

She said an off-duty nurse helped to get the pair out of the car.

Eyewitness Rachelle Eaton, who was driving towards High Wycombe from Penn, reported seeing Mr Fisk’s car going past her mid-crash.

She said: “I heard it before I saw it. When he hit the parked van and the BMW head on, the cars looked like a mangled mess.”

She said that she stopped when it was safe, with her two-year-old child in the car, and dialled 999, adding: “They asked me if I could perform CPR but I said no because I couldn’t get into the car.

“I could tell by looking at the driver that he was not in a good way.”

Mr Fisk sadly died in hospital two days later.

A toxicology report found no traces of alcohol in Mr Fisk’s body, with the toxicologist adding that while he had a “therapeutic” amount of his epilepsy medication, it was not “improbable” that he could have suffered an attack.

Thames Valley Police investigator Steven Moffat said it appeared that Mr Fisk had control of the car’s steering but he was going too fast on the road to be able to stop, adding that it was “remarkable that the driver wasn’t drunk or trying to evade capture”.

He added that it was possible that it could been a medical episode.

Speaking about her husband in a police statement read out to the court, Mrs Fisk, who met him 35 years ago, said he loved to cook and regularly made dinner for the family of six.

She said: “He was a loving father [to their kids aged 13 and 14] and an amazing stepfather to my two sons [aged 20 and 23, from a previous relationship].

“He was a wonderful husband to me. I am blessed to have been loved by him. I was surrounded by his love and he was my best friend.

“He will be very missed.”

The medical cause of death was a traumatic head injury and senior coroner for Buckinghamshire Crispin Butler ruled a verdict of a road traffic accident, adding: “It is not possible to ascertain whether a medical episode occurred.”