A bedroom fire in Wendover is believed to have started after sunrays were reflected on to a curtain by a mirror – prompting the fire service to issue a warning to people to take extra care with glass items, such as mirrors, and keeping them away from sunlight.

Firefighters from Aylesbury were called to a house in Aylesbury Road just before 1pm yesterday (Monday).

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the fire with a hose reel and used a fan to clear away the smoke.

Watch commander Kevin Mercer said: “The occupant had already poured water on it and said she had previously noticed what she now realised was a scorch mark on the curtain.”

Bucks Fire said a number of house fires nationally – including some that have destroyed homes – have been caused by sunlight on glass items such as paperweights, make-up and shaving mirrors or decorative ‘bottle effect’ windows.

The fire service added it is called out to an average of around two of these types of fires every year.

In October last year, sunlight reflecting off a make-up mirror started a fire which severely damaged a flat in Beaconsfield.

Mr Mercer added: “We are advising people to take extra care, particularly with glass objects such as mirrors and paperweights.

“Keep them out of contact with direct sunlight, and never put them on or near window sills.”

For a free assessment of the fire risks in your home, and free smoke alarms where necessary, ring the Home Fire Risk Check hotline on 01296 744477 or email cs@bucksfire.gov.uk.