Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Jennifer Blockley 'had heart ripped' out by son's sudden death
A MUM felt like she "had her heart ripped out" after the sudden death of her four-year-old son.
Little Oliver Blockley, of Roundhead Drive in Thame, died after picking up a virus which led to an aggressive bacterial infection, an inquest heard yesterday.
Mum Jennifer Blockley initially thought Oliver had caught a stomach bug when he fell ill on October 29 last year, she told the Bucks Free Press.
But when he looked worse the next morning she rushed him to hospital.
She said he seemed to be getting better throughout October 30 and "as far as anyone knew, he would be OK" when he went to sleep.
But the inquest at High Wycombe Law Courts heard the virus had weakened his airways, enabling a bacterial infection to enter his blood stream. He died in the early hours of October 31.
A post-mortem also discovered cancer was present in Oliver’s adrenal gland, which may have weakened his immune system and made him more vulnerable to the infection.
Coroner Richard Hulett said Oliver had died of natural causes. There was no suggestion that hospital staff could have done more to help him.
Jennifer said afterwards: "I had my heart ripped out over this and didn't want to keep going. But I have Ollie's brother Finley to think of and Ollie really loved his baby brother and would want me to carry on for him."
She also asked to send this message to Oliver: "A big star in our hearts shine bright baby boy! Love you now and forever from everyone you touched with your beautiful smile."
Comments are closed on this article.