Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Quick-thinking stops fire from spreading in Lane End
4:23pm Wednesday 19th September 2012 in News
FIREFIGHTERS have praised a motorist whose quick-thinking stopped a house fire from spreading yesterday morning.
The man was driving in Lane End at about 9am when he saw smoke coming from an upstairs window of a property on Church Road.
He got out of his vehicle and shouted through the letterbox, but when there was no response he went next door to get the name of the road so he could call 999.
The neighbours released the owners' Labrador, which was downstairs, after breaking a small pane of glass to get in.
Firefighters then arrived and were able to put out the fire before it could spread.
Watch manager Alex Strand, the incident commander, said: "But for the gentleman’s quick response, this would have been a far more serious house fire.
"There was extensive smoke damage throughout the first floor as all the doors upstairs had been left open, but the fire was contained in the room of origin."
The fire was caused by a make-up mirror with lights which had been left on in a bedroom.
High Wycombe station manager Danny Whitelock, who also attended the incident, said: "I would like to add my praise to the member of public for his quick thinking, and congratulate the firefighters of Green Watch for their prompt action.
"I would also like to remind everyone how important it is to shut doors when going to bed or going out in the day, as this will help prevent a small fire developing into a large house fire."
Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service carries out free safety checks in people's homes, installing free 10-year smoke detectors where they are needed.
To book one of these checks, ring 01296 744477 or send an email to email@example.com