Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Inquest: Man died from excess alcohol
3:23pm Thursday 27th September 2012 in News
A MAN was discovered dead in his bedroom from alcohol poisoning by his wife the day after the pair had a heated row, an inquest heard.
The body of John Steven Ward, 56, was found by wife Dawn in their Hammersley Lane home on the morning of March 13.
A pathologist ruled Mr Ward died from acute alcohol intoxication after a toxicology report revealed he had 375mgs of alcohol per 100ml of blood, which is almost five times the legal drink driving limit.
The inquest held at Wycombe Law Courts heard how Mr Ward had been drinking and cooking a barbeque for his son and his friends on March 12 at the family home.
Mrs Ward, who had not been at the gathering, said the couple had an argument shortly after she returned home at 6pm. She left the house overnight and discovered his body lying in the bedroom the following morning.
Recording a verdict of misadventure, the Buckinghamshire Coroner Richard Hulett said: “There is no evidence that Mr Ward had [self harmed]. He has died as a result of the alcohol without a doubt.”
Mr Hulett said Mr Ward had been drinking heavily throughout the afternoon and evening.
He added: “People drink a great deal and if they get above 300mgs [of alcohol per 100ml of blood] they may lie down and die. 375 is well in the range in which people expire from the amount they drink.”