Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Inquest: Bucks engineer dies after exposure to asbestos
A BUCKS engineer died after coming into contact with asbestos on several sites during his career – including the Houses of Parliament, an inquest heard.
Michael Parish, 72, detailed his working history before he died on July 20 – claiming the Palace of Westminster was "riddled with asbestos insulation" when he worked there for a year in the 1970s.
He had been working as a consultant for an engineering firm at the time, and referred specifically to some brick-built flues, the inquest at High Wycombe Law Courts heard on Tuesday.
But a number of other firms were also listed, for whom Mr Parish held posts in the 1960s when he thought he was exposed to the deadly fibres on various sites.
Bucks coroner Richard Hulett thought it was "very likely" Mr Parish contracted malignant mesothelioma by coming into contact with asbestos during his working life, but said he does not make a finding against any particular company.
He found Mr Parish, of Brimmers Hill, Widmer End, died from industrial disease.
The Bucks Free Press asked the House of Commons if asbestos is still present in the Palace of Westminster.
The House of Commons Commission referred us to this recent statement by one of its members, MP John Thurso: "I take asbestos extremely seriously, as does the Commission; but more importantly, the Parliamentary Director of Estates does, too.
"Asbestos is not dangerous if undisturbed. All areas of the Palace have been properly surveyed. Where remedial action is taken, the workforce operate within full health and safety dictates and do so as safely as possible. I am constantly reassured by the House authorities in this area."