Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Family pays tribute to man who died after taking 'gym drug'
THE family of a 28-year-old who died after taking a performance enhancing drug has paid tribute to the “fun, loving and caring” man.
Sean Daniel Cleathero from High Wycombe fell ill on Tuesday and was taken to Wycombe Hospital where he died.
It is believed the father-of-one took a substance called 2, 4-Dinitrophenol (DNP) which is used to help burn fat but can have side-effects such as extreme body temperatures leading to brain damage and blindness.
In a statement, Mr Cleathero’s family said: “Sean was very loved and popular.
"His death has come as a complete shock to his family and friends. He was a fun, loving, caring son, grandson, brother and nephew.
"As a father he leaves behind a three-year-old daughter who will carry on his infectious personality which made him so popular to all of his friends and those who knew him.”
A post-mortem examination was carried out on Friday but the results were inconclusive, leading to the Buckinghamshire Coroner referring the death to Thames Valley Police.
Officers are exploring any potential link between Mr Cleathero’s death and the drug, which police believe he obtained from a gym.
Officers are urging any resident who may have bought DNP tablets through ‘unofficial sources’ not to take them.
Anyone who believes they may have taken the drug and requires health advice is urged to contact their GP or call NHS Direct on 0845 4647.