Wycombe HC juniors fall in semi-finals

Bucks Free Press: Picture by Andrew Rowland Photography Picture by Andrew Rowland Photography

HIGH Wycombe Hockey Club juniors suffered double heartache this week as both their U16s and U18s were beaten in the South of England Indoor Finals.

Wycombe were champions a few years ago, but there was to be no repeat as both teams in action this year were beaten in the semi-finals.

The U16s made a fine start with 2-0 and 3-1 victories over Canterbury and Surbiton before a 1-1 draw with Winchester booked their passage through to the semi-finals.

However, Oxted sent them packing 2-1, with their winner coming in the final five seconds of the game.

The U18s also fell in the last four.

They were 3-1 and 5-1 winners over Surbiton and Trojans before Canterbury knocked them out 4-3 in their semi-final.

Meanwhile, Wycombe men’s first team drew 3-3 with Wallingford with Matt Bilsland, Hugo Clark and Dom Day all on target.

The second team were beaten 4-1 by Bicester with Harry Bennett scoring their consolation, while Aran Johal, Dan Lindars and Phil Lloyd scored in a 3-1 win over Witney 2s for Wycombe 3s.

Wycombe 4s were on the wrong end of a humiliating 9-1 loss to Aylesbury.

Dan Aldbridge provided their only high point while goals from Owen Hunt and Kevin O’Linn helped Wycombe 5s to a 2-2 draw with West Hampstead.

Joe Daly, Peter Grimmett and Andy Wotherspoon scored for Wycombe 6s in their 3-1 triumph over Newbury & Thatchm while in the Mercian League the U14 Development A and B sides were both in action.

The A team beat Amersham & Chalfont 3-1 while the Bs were beaten 1-0 by Teddington.

Marlow 2s slipped to third in the table after a 3-3 draw with Slough, but it might well have been a point gained.

They were 2-0 down just before half time but Kevin Chappell and then Oscar Ancliffe struck to level it at 2-2.

In a heated second half, Andrew Rymer broke his nose in an off-the-ball incident and Ed Dillon was sent to the sin bin for a high stick, before Rymer put Slough’s noses out of joint with a late equaliser.

Meanwhile, Marlow 3s ran roughshod over Bracknell in a 6-2 victory that keeps their title challenge on track.

Rex Walls scored all four of their first half goals and Jack Kelly made it five after half time.

Rob Postings had chances to add the sixth, but he was twice blocked and it fell to Walls to wrap up the win with his fifth and Marlow’s sixth.

Elsewhere, Marlow 5s were taught a lesson by Oxford Hawks 6s.

They were beaten 6-2 with Brian Gray scoring their consolations but Marlow Ladies are still on track following a 1-0 victory over Oxford University.

Oxford began the stronger and attacked in droves at the outset, but Marlow held out and gradually began to work a foothold in the game.

The hosts were still the dominant force though, and they had created and missed a string of chances when Marlow caught them on the counter-attack with ten minutes left.

They streamed forward to win a penalty corner, and Anna Mortimer duly converted to snatch all the points.

Completing the set, Marlow Ladies 5s beat Windsor Royalists 2-0.

Keeper Lisa Arnold was Player of the Match after making a string of fine saves to keep Marlow in it early on.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree