WANDERERS appear resigned to losing Anthony Stewart, with assistant manager Richard Dobson saying his contract situation "doesn't look good".
Stewart played as a trialist for League One Crawley Town in a team predominantly made up of youngsters which beat local non-league side Three Bridges 2-1 on Monday night, with the defender opening the scoring.
Wanderers wanted to keep hold of the 21-year-old but it's been strongly suggested by the Adams Park hierarchy they have had difficulties negotiating a new contract with the player and his agent over the course of the summer break.
Stewart was offered a new deal at the end of last season but has so far not committed his future to the club.
With his future in limbo he has not been taking part in pre season training with the rest of the Wanderers squad.
Dobson was coy about discussing Stewart's future but admitted he wasn't hopeful Wanderers would be able to hold onto the central defender.
Speaking after last night's friendly at Wealdstone he said: "It's a disappointing situation but one we are not fully in control of. That's all there is to say on that - it's no comment on that one at the moment.
"It doesn't look good but we'll have to see how things pan out over the next week or so."
Fellow defender Tommy Fletcher also spoke of his disappointment at Stewart's seemingly inevitable departure from Adams Park.
He said: "Ant was a top player. He's a great defender and he helped me out a lot.
"It's a bit of a shame to see he's not around with us - whether he comes in or not, I'm not sure. He's a top player and it's sad to see him not around."
Stewart is technically without a club, but due to his age the fact he was offered new terms Wanderers retain the player's registration.
Blues would also be entitled to a transfer fee for Stewart if he did decide to move on.
Stewart, a former winner of the Wanderers young player of the year award, has made 65 appearances in the quarters since making his debut at Preston in League One in 2012, scoring four goals.