Wycombe produced an excellent performance against Barnet, keeping their playoff dreams alive with a 2-0 win against the Bees at The Hive.

Saunders scored the first on 20 minutes with a goal of the season contender when he picked up a loose ball in midfield and rifled a shot over Jamie Stephens from 40 yards out.

Joe Jacobson then sealed the points in the final minute from the penalty spot after Garry Thompson was bundled over the box.

However, the Chairboys were indebted to Jamal Blackman for producing a series of outstanding saves, most notably from Ruben Bover in the second half, with an astonishing tip onto the post.

Barnet had the first attempt on goal in the very first minute when Jamal Campbell-Ryce saw his strike from the edge of the box deflected just wide of Blackman’s goal.

Wycombe, however, started positively and were looking lively going forward with Adebayo Akinfenwa partnered by Paul Hayes and Scott Kashket.

Akinfenwa had a decent opportunity to open the scoring on 10 minutes when he firmly met Sam Saunders’ corner but he headed it over the bar.

Kashket was next to have a crack for the visitors, hitting a firm strike on 17 minutes which was well held by Jamie Stephens.

Saunders then produced his moment of magic before a minute later, Blackman pulled off an incredible double save to keep Wycombe’s slender lead intact.

Wanderers were still producing some excellent attacking play and Joe Jacobson smashed one over from distance after some superb play involving Akinfenwa and Kashket.

The Bees were still showing they had their sting and Campbell-Ryce in particular was causing the Wycombe defence a problem.

Right on half-time, Wanderers had a good chance to extend their advantage but Luke O’Nien was denied by Stephens from close range after excellent work by Hayes.

The home side started the second period brightly and Mauro Vilhete tested Blackman from 20 yards with a shot that was comfortably saved.

However, the Chairboys were keen to try and put more daylight between themselves and Barnet and Akinfenwa came close on 52 minutes, hitting it just wide at the far after a delicious ball in by Saunders.

Akinfenwa had another half-chance on 57 minutes but he headed over when under pressure by Charlie Clough.

Rossi Eames’ side were still a threat and Aaron Pierre produced a magnificent block to deny Vilhete on the hour mark.

The home side had a big shout for a penalty waved away on 65 minutes after vociferous shouts for handball were waved away by referee Gavin Ward.

Barnet were getting closer to a goal and Jack Taylor’s cross with 20 minutes to go went inches wide with Blackman scrambling to get down.

Curtis Weston had the best chance for the home side three minutes later when Blackman’s weak punch presented the opportunity for the Barnet skipper but his deflected shot hit the woodwork and went over.

Blackman then outdid his first half double save with a truly world-class save to deny Bover on 83 minutes.

The Barnet winger smashed a belter of a strike towards to top corner but somehow the on-loan Chelsea stopper tipped his effort onto the upright.

Matt Bloomfield came close two minutes later after being set up by Akinfenwa before the big man headed straight at Stephens in the dying embers.

Gareth Ainsworth’s men now sit two points off the playoffs with three games remaining. It really is all to play for in the playoff fight.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Blackman, Harriman, Jombati, Pierre, Jacobson, Bean, O’Nien (sub: Bloomfield, 75), Saunders, Hayes (sub: Thompson, 75), Akinfenwa, Kashket (sub: Freeman, 63). Subs: Richardson, Southwell, Weston, Gape.

BARNET: Stephens, Johnson, Santos, Weston, John Akinde, Campbell-Ryce, Harry Taylor, Shomotun (sub: Bover, 61), Jack Taylor, Vilhete, Clough. Subs: Vickers, Nelson, Coulson, Sam Akinde, Fonguck, Tutonda.

REFEREE: Gavin Ward

ATTENDANCE: 2,507 (Wycombe 838)