WYCOMBE Wanderers will start the 2017/2018 season with some silverware already under their belt after they beat AFC Wimbledon 2-0 to claim the Cherry Red Records Cup.

In the clash of the supporter-owned clubs, a Luke O’Nien effort and a stunning volley from Adebayo Akinfenwa were enough to see off the League 1 side.

It was the Chairboys’ penultimate pre-season friendly before the real action kicks off a week on Monday, and boss Gareth Ainsworth started a strong side.

They started in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with El-Abd and Muller joined in defence by Jacobson and Harriman, Gape and O’Nien shielding the back four, with new signing Nathan Tyson, Hayes and Saunders playing in a three behind Akinfenwa up top.

The game’s first chance fell to Akinfenwa after five minutes, who scuffed a Michael Harriman cross well wide.

Tyson, who was announced as the club’s second signing of the summer before the game, could be a useful weapon for the Wanderers next season.

Despite being 35, he still possesses explosive pace, and caused the Dons full backs problems.

He was also useful in the air attacking set pieces, sending a powerful header from a Saunders corner just over the bar after 15 minutes.

Wimbldeon’s first effort of the game fell to Nightingale on 18 minutes, after he headed a Francomb cross narrowly wide.

Shortly after, O’Nien put Wycombe ahead. Jacobson pounced on some lacklustre defending by Kwasi Appiah, nicking the ball off him and racing to the byline and crossing for O’Nien, who slotted past Long.

On the half hour mark, Scott Brown, looking resplendent in the new illuminous pink goalkeeper kit, did well to keep out a Cody McDonald effort.

Akinfenwa bagged a spectacular second just after.

O’Nien turned provider to nod down a long ball up front, which fell to the Beast who lashed a half-volley into the top left hand corner.

It was a stunning effort, and even earned a round of applause from the travelling Wimbledon fans.

Wimbledon searched for a way to get back into the game, but the new centre back pairing of El-Abd and Muller were solid at the back, and nullified any attacking threat as the Chairboys went in 2-0 up at half time. Wycombe made one change at the break with Nick Freeman replacing Akinfenwa, with Paul Hayes spearheading the attack.

The second half took a while to warm up, with Scott Brown fumbling an Andy Barcham effort round the post on 55 minutes.

Wimbledon were the better side after the break as they tried to claw themselves back into the match, but Wycombe’s defence stood resolute, with O’Nien and Gape in midfield harassing the opposition.

On the hour mark, both sides made a raft of changes, Wycombe making six and Wimbledon three. As is customary in pre-season, the game became a little disjointed, but the Dons continued to probe.

Brown did well to parry a low McDonald drive for a corner, on 70 minutes, and Francomb fired a snapshot from outside the penalty area 10 minutes before full time.

But that was as good as it got for the visitors, and the Chairboys rode out 2-0 winners.