Wycombe Wanderers and Lincoln City shared the spoils in an enthralling 2-2 draw at a sun-kissed Adams Park.

An electric atmosphere awaited both sets of players in south Bucks and the visitors made a great start when Matt Green turned the ball home from close range on the half-hour mark after some slack defending by Wanderers.

However, six minutes later Luke O’Nien responsed with a bullet header after a brilliant free kick by Joe Jacobson.

The pendulum then swung back to the home side and Jacobson gave the Chairboys the lead on 39 minutes, placing a delightful free kick past the flat-footed Paul Farman.

Unfortunately for the Blues, the Imps started the second half strongly and the lively Josh Ginnelly slotted coolly past Scott Brown after a superb through ball by Alex Woodyard sent him clear.

In a very tight contest at Adams Park, O’Nien had the first effort for the home side on five minutes after good work by Dayle Southwell but his rasping effort flew just wide.

The visitors hit back a minute later, however, when Ginnelly wriggled free of Michael Harriman but his was denied by a smart save from Brown.

It was a fairly even opening but Adebayo Akinfenwa had the Blues’ next opportunity on 10 minutes when his header was comfortably held by Farman.

Gareth Ainsworth’s men were just about getting on top, with Akinfenwa coming to the fore, his physical presence starting to cause havoc in the Imps box.

Danny Cowley’s men were also determined to use their physical players in attack and they made life uncomfortable moments later when a huge scramble in the Wanderers penalty area fortunately led to a free kick for the home side.

After such a lively start, the game started to fizzle out a little bit midway through the first half, as both teams were nullifying each other.

However, the game exploded into life on 30 minutes with three goals in nine minutes and Wycombe coming from behind to take the momentum into the break.

The momentum was short-lived though as the visitors showed their mettle to bring the score back to 2-2.

Ginnelly was proving a handful for the Blues rearguard and he almost conjured a third for the Imps but Matt Rhead sliced wide from six yards.

Cowley’s side were having a good spell after the equaliser with balls into the box being desperately defended by the Wycombe backline.

With 20 minutes remaining, both teams were huffing and puffing but creating very little as a warm August afternoon was proving tiring for both sets of players.

All in all it was a satisfactory afternoon for Ainsworth’s side against a good team, with the fixtures coming thick and fast for the Blues in the next few weeks.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Harriman, Jacobson, Jombati, El-Abd, Gape, O’Nien, Saunders (sub: Bloomfield, 77), Tyson (sub: Hayes, 89), Akinfenwa, Southwell (sub: Cowan-Hall, 69). Subs: Richardson, Muller, Bean, Freeman.

LINCOLN CITY: Farman, Long, Ginnelly (sub: Maguire-Drew, 80), Dickie, Bostwick, Eardley, Raggett, Arnold, Woodyard, Rhead (sub: Knott, 63), Green (sub: Palmer, 83). Subs: Vickers, Whitehouse, Howe, Anderson.


REFEREE: Graham Horwood