Wycombe Wanderers bowed out of the Carabao Cup first round against Championship side Fulham 2-0 despite a gallant display at Adams Park.

The first goal of the game was a moment of magic by Lucas Piazon on 67 minutes when he unleashed a rocket into the top corner from 20 yards that gave Scott Brown absolutely no chance.

Denis Odoi the doubled the visitors lead on 81 minutes when he headed home Piazon’s pinpoint corner.

Before that, Brown had been in good form between the sticks in a fairly even contest between Wanderers and their more illustrious opponents.

Fulham had the first chance on the night on eight minutes when Odoi met Matt O’Riley’s corner with a bullet header but Brown produced an excellent save to deny him.

The first quarter of an hour was very quiet with neither side, apart from Odoi’s chance, getting a foothold in the game.

Wanderers had their first opportunity on 21 minutes when Joe Jacobson played in an exquisite free kick but Max Muller could only head over when free at the back post.

Fulham were always threat with their pacey counter attacks and a ball over the top presented itself to Cauley Woodrow on 25 minutes but he blazed into the side netting.

Brown then came to the rescue four minutes later when he thwarted Odoi from point-blank range after a sublime through ball from O’Riley.

The Chairboys were playing some decent football of their own and Michael Harriman let fly from 25 yards on 36 minutes but his strike was comfortably held by Marek Rodak.

Wanderers were inching closer to the target and Jacobson’s devilish corner was headed inadvertently just wide by Piazon.

Fulham came agonisingly close to scoring just before half-time when Brown missed Aboubakar Kamara’s cross and O’Riley was denied three yards out by a brilliant tackle from Adam El-Abd.

Woodrow had two great chances to give the Cottagers an early second half lead but fluffed a header into the ground before scuffing a shot wide with the goal gaping.

The game started to open it up slightly and Nathan Tyson got in behind the Fulham rearguard but his cross looking for Paul Hayes was cleared.

Gareth Ainsworth’s men were beginning to get a grip on the game and Marcus Bean slashed a shot wide after Jacobson’s corner wreaked havoc on 55 minutes.

Unfortunately for the Blues on 67 minutes, Piazon turned the game on its head with a piece of individual brilliance.

However, the Blues were determined to claw their way back into it and the pace of Tyson was causing a real headache to the Fulham defence as he got in behind but was denied by Rodak.

Matt Bloomfield and substitute Adebayo Akinfenwa had chances to pull a goal back but were wayward with their accuracy.

Tyson then produced the best out of Rodak on 88 minutes when his firm header was tipped away by the Fulham stopper.

So yet another defeat for Wycombe in the first round of this competition but Ainsworth should not be too disheartened with his side after a competitive showing.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Harriman, Muller, El-Abd, Jacobson, Williams (sub: Freeman, 74), Bean, Rowe, Bloomfield, Cowan-Hall (sub: Tyson, 46), Hayes (sub: Akinfenwa, 71). Subs: Richardson, Jombati, Gape, Southwell.

FULHAM: Rodak, S.Sessegnon, Madl, Djalo, Odoi, Edun, Cisse, Piazon, O’Riley (sub: R.Sessegnon, 81), Kamara, Woodrow. Subs: Button, Johansen, Ayite, Norwood, Kalas, Aluko.


REFEREE: Gavin Ward