Wycombe Wanderers produced a superb away day performance for 89 minutes but late jitters nearly got to them as they edged past Port Vale 3-2 at Vale Park.

Wanderers got off the perfect start after just two minutes at Vale Park when Adebayo Akinfenwa met Joe Jacobson’s searching free kick with a textbook header right into the corner to give Sam Hornby no chance in the Vale goal.

After 12 minutes, the Chairboys doubled their lead thanks to a stunning goal from Paris Cowan-Hall. The winger collected Sam Saunders' raking pass, danced his way into the area and sent a thunderous shot into the far corner.

Akinfenwa effectively put the game to bed after just 25 minutes when Jacobson found Luke O'Nien who fizzed a volley at gaol but the big striker met it with a firm header, which smashed into the roof of the net.

However, Vale nealry produced an incredible comeback. Firstly, Dan Turner pulled one back on 89 minutes when he headed home from Lawrie Wilson's cross.

A minute later, Ben Whitfield scored a fantastic goal when he cut into the area and unleashed a rocket past the stranded Scott Brown.

The Blues were dominant early on and between the first two strikes, Saunders lined up a free kick from 25 yards out but his effort flew just over.

After Cowan-Hall's bit of wizardry, the Vale faithful were echoing their frustration at seeing their team fall behind..

Cowan-Hall had a decent opportunity to make it three when he tried to race away from the Valiants backline but he shot tamely into the grateful arms of Hornby.

Luke O’Nien was next to have a crack on 21 minutes but his firm hit was off target after some smart hold-up play by Akinfenwa.

Akinfenwa then made it an incredible three as Vale simply had no answer to a powerful Wanderers display for the first 30 minutes.

The home side then had their first chance in anger on 31 minutes when Marcus Harness’ corner found Nathan Smith but he headed straight at Scott Brown.

Vale were getting no change from a determined Wanderers outfit and O’Nien stung the hands of Hornby on 37 minutes with a fierce drive that the Vale keeper held on well to.

The Valiants started the second half sharper than they had been throughout the whole of the first half but the Chairboys were still looking comfortable.

Wycombe were certainly keen to add more goals and Saunders had a crack from 25 yards out on 53 minutes but Hornby was equal to it.

Michael Brown’s side continued to huff and puff without reward but Tom Pope had a good opportunity on 64 minutes to reduce the arrears from Dan Turner’s cross but he blazed over.

A minute later, Dayle Southwell almost made it four but his tremendous free kick was brilliantly tipped wide by Hornby.

Akinfenwa had a golden chance for his hat-trick with 18 minutes remaining as he met Jacobson’s cross but he headed wide from six yards.

Matt Bloomfield had a good chance to get that elusive fourth goal late on but the busy Hornby kept his effort out.

Then Vale produced their barnstorming finish but there was relief in the Wanderers ranks when referee Craig Hicks eventually blew the final whistle.

On the whole it was a quite brilliant performance from Gareth Ainsworth's men but fortunately they survived a late scare to record an excellent victory.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Harriman, Jombati, El-Abd, Jacobson, Gape, O’Nien, Saunders (sub: Bloomfield, 69), Cowan-Hall (sub: Southwell, 24), Akinfenwa, Tyson (sub: Freeman, 80). Subs: Richardson, Bean, Hayes, Muller.

PORT VALE: Hornby, Wilson, Smith, Kay, Denton, De Freitas, Pugh (sub: Reeves, 60), Harness, Montano (sub: Whitfield, 78), Pyke (sub: Turner, 60), Pope. Subs: Boot, Davis, Tonge, Forrester.

REFEREE: Craig Hicks

ATTENDANCE: 4,909 (Wycombe 293)