Wycombe Wanderers produced a brilliant second-half blitz only for Cheltenham Town to somehow comeback and smuggle a point in a dramatic 3-3 draw.

After the visitors took the lead in the first half, a brace from Adebayo Akinfenwa and a superb goal by the excellent Ebere Eze looked set to give the Blues victory

The visitors took the lead on 22 minutes when Brian Graham prodded home from close-range after Jamie Grimes pulled back Jordan Cranston's free kick.

After a frustrating first half from Gareth Ainsworth's men, they made the perfect start to the second period when Eze ran half the length of the pitch, pulled it back to Sam Saunders who played it into the path of the QPR loanee who then slammed home.

The irrepressible Eze then was heavily involved in the second goal on 50 minutes, playing a delightful ball through to Nick Freeman, who hit the post before the ball was forced home by Akinfenwa.

Akinfenwa then added a third on the hour, guiding the ball into the bottom corner from Craig Mackail-Smith's low cross.

However, Carl Winchester pulled a goal back with a rasping strike from 20 yards on 70 minutes.

Graham then equalised with two minutes of normal time remaining, heading home from Mohamed Eisa's cross.

That goal was met with huge protests by the Wycombe players who moaned that the there was a push in the build-up to the goal.

Wanderers started well and some good build-up play found Eze in the box in the first minute but he was deemed offside.

On the whole, it was a scrappy opening 10 minutes with both sides not being able to have a dominant hold on proceedings.

Cheltenham almost took the lead after 13 minutes when a goalmouth scrambled ensued in the Chairboys box but Will De Havilland managed to get it clear.

Joe Jacobson nearly gave Wycombe the lead on 17 minutes but free kick from 20 yards was tipped wide by Scott Flinders.

Wanderers were beginning to up the tempo and a minute later, Akinfenwa nodded down Sam Saunders’ searching cross into the path of Nick Freeman who saw his goalbound shot blocked.

The home side started to cause real issues for the visitors and Akinfenwa met Freeman’s cross sweetly on 21 minutes but his volley went inches over.

However, Cheltenham took the lead against the run of play just seconds later which seemed to knock Wycombe out of their stride for a few minutes.

Jacobson had another long-range effort on 40 minutes when he let fly with a volley from 30 yards but it was comfortably held by Flinders.

Brown came to Wycombe rescue’s on 42 minutes when he thwarted Danny Wright with a fine save before Eze broke away and his exceptional pass found Mackail-Smith who shot wide under pressure.

Wycombe got off to the best possible start in the second half with three goals in 14 minutes.

Although those goals rocked Cheltenham, the steadily began to comeback and Eisa was beginning to grow into the game for Cheltenham.

Gary Johnson’s men were given a lifeline with 20 minutes to go when Carl Winchester lashed home before Graham broke Wycombe hearts on 88 minutes.

The Chairboys now sit seventh, with two cup games before a return to League Two proceedings.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Gape, El-Abd, De Havilland, Jacobson, Bean, Saunders, Eze, Freeman (sub: Bloomfield, 86), Akinfenwa, Mackail-Smith (sub: Cowan-Hall, 70). Subs: Ma-Kalambay, Southwell, O’Nien.

CHELTENHAM TOWN: Flinders, Grimes, Cranston, Dawson (sub: Pell, 68), Wright (sub: Sellars, 68), Winchester, Boyle, Eisa, Graham, Morrell (sub: Storer, 68), Moore. Subs: Flatt, O’Shaughnessy, Hinds, Davey.

REFEREE: Lee Collins