Wycombe Wanderers’ long unbeaten run away from home came to an end when they lost 1-0 to Swindon Town at a blustery County Ground.

Harry Smith’s goal on 15 minutes was the difference in an even affair, delightfully volleying home Matt Taylor’s deep cross from 12 yards.

The wind was a crucial factor in the game with the strong breeze aiding Town in the first half and Wanderers in the second but it was the home side who managed to make it count and condemn Wycombe to a first away league defeat since February.

Wycombe made a bright start and had a half-chance in the first minute when Matt Bloomfield played in a dangerous low cross but Swindon scrambled it clear.

Gareth Ainsworth’s side were certainly on the front foot in the early stages but didn’t create a chance of note in extremely tough conditions in Wiltshire.

Swindon had the first opportunity of the game when Taylor sent in a great delivery but Amine Linganzi saw his header on 10 minutes clawed away by Scott Brown.

From the resulting corner, Brown made an even better save, denying Smith from point-blank range.

However, the Swindon striker got his revenge five minutes later with a deft finish in what was turning into a scrappy game with the wind hindering any momentum.

David Flitcroft’s side were trying to use the strong breeze to their advantage and Brown pulled off another excellent save to deny Smith on 26 minutes.

Once again, Brown made a good save seven minutes later, showing good handling skills to deny Keshi Anderson from distance.

The visitors had a decent chance a minute later when Sam Saunders burst through from midfield to the edge of the box but his effort flew just wide.

Wanderers started the second half on the front foot and Adebayo Akinfenwa almost produced a moment of magic on 48 minutes when he juggled the ball in the box and unleashed a volley that was parried away by Charles-Cook.

The Robins had an excellent opportunity to double their lead on 56 minutes when Smith got the better of Adam El-Abd but snatched his shot well wide when he had more time.

The Blues were not really troubling the nervy Charles-Cook and sent on Ebere Eze in the 65th minute in the hope for that flash of quality.

Dan Scarr had a glimmer of a chance for Wycombe with 20 minutes but his volley from 18 yards sailed well over.

The Chairboys were edging closer and Nick Freeman was denied by Charles-Cook on 72 minutes after excellent play between Eze and Dominic Gape set up the chance for him.

Brown, incredibly, almost got an equaliser for Wanderers a minute later when he launched a clearance downfield which had to be tipped over by the Swindon stopper.

Ainsworth’s men were slowly turning the screw but Swindon’s organised backline were keeping them at bay.

Wanderers continued to huff and puff but Swindon were looking increasingly assured at the back.

John Mullin had a great sighter with two minutes to go but his firm effort was ably dealt with by the excellent Brown.

Eze almost got a dramatic leveller deep into injury time but he slammed his effort just inches over the bar.

A first defeat in seven for Wycombe after a gruelling week on the road but the Blues still sit handily in the playoffs.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Gape, Scarr, El-Abd, Jacobson, Bean, Saunders (sub: Eze, 65), Bloomfield, Freeman (sub: Southwell, 81), Akinfenwa, Cowan-Hall (sub: Mackail-Smith, 65). Subs: Ma-Kalambay, O’Nien.

SWINDON TOWN: Charles-Cook, Purkiss, Lancashire, Preston, Taylor, Dunne, Linganzi, McDermott (sub: Mullin, 86), Goddard, Anderson, Smith. Subs: Henry, Robertson, Knoyle, Iandolo, Gordon, Woolery.

REFEREE: John Brooks