Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
kick starting UK ecomony
Not many of us would remember the 1930’s depression and living in the South East of England sometimes we don’t see the bigger picture and just how bad things are out there.
Many of us by now have started to feel the changes and sacrifices that we’ve had to make in order to bolt down and get through this.
Looking back to pre-bank woes, credit crunches, depression, and recession – I can just about remember the good times, the better times.
Banks got greedy, politicians turned a blind eye and credit was far too easy to obtain – living today on tomorrow’s money.
Of course Labour were racking up the bills and spending like crazy to keep themselves in power and I guess that I can see the sense in the Conservatives/Lib dem coalition having a main focus of reducing down the debt, etc
But this all started in 2008 and now its 2012 – that’s 4 years that we’ve had to go through this and we are still here at 0% growth in the UK.
I fully understand that the world economy is in the same position as there isn’t much investment/wonga flying around. However.. it’s about time that something was done otherwise we are never going through this. Some say that it’s going to be another 5 or 8 more years of depression.
Here’s what I think that the current Government should be doing:
• Instead of directing the Lottery money into Arts/Good funds/Sport, etc – for the short term – direct it into a scheme to help ownership of first time buyers.
• Set up part ownership schemes so that first time buyers can get a leg onto the ladder.
• Make the banks that are owned by the taxpayers – give mortgages to everyone (i.e. relax the tight constraints of not giving money to hardly anyone!)
• Change the Stamp Duty limits – make them much higher. My house and those around me in my street will never sell our house for a penny over £250k because of this very silly band.
• Relax new building laws, have more sites to build homes on.
• If we get the housing market moving then this would at least kick start the economy.
Look at what help that the car industry got and they are selling new cars.
The housing sector has been shafted and forgotten and affects most of us.
Another area would be for all companies to get ‘marketing grants’ to pay to find new clients.
Surely David Cameron and co have some kind of brain cell rolling around somewhere?
Comments are closed on this article.
In this section
- Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth
- When can we have our flyover back?
- Wycombe has become a concrete wasteland
- Murky world of local elections..
- Is it time to get out of Europe?
- Is the High Street becoming a Low Street?
- Bringing back our lost A&E to Wycombe
- Buying on the never-never
- How many are in food poverty?
- Will Marlow be given an 'Archimedes screw'?