Local people came out in force to cheer on Chesham United in the first round of the FA Cup.

Chesham booked their place in the first round proper of the FA Cup following their dramatic win against Braintree in extra time in the Fourth Qualifying Round.

So, on Saturday afternoon November 5, Chesham United of the Southern League Premier South Division, faced National League One full-time side Maidstone. This was the first time Chesham have had a home game beyond the qualifying rounds of the FA Cup since 1994.

FA rules mean that Chesham United are now allowed no more than 3,000 people in the ground.

All 2,750 advance tickets were sold out, and then club held back 250 for those wishing to pay on the gate, with the turnstiles opening at 11.00am.

In the end 2,984 spectators arrived at The Meadow ready to watch the game.

There was a great atmosphere, with regular fans outnumbered by locals who wanted to say ‘I was there’.

Many came with memories of the First Round of the FA Cup in 2015, when Chesham United became FA Giant Killer of the Year and beat League Two team Bristol Rovers 1-0 away.

There was also a crowd of a few hundred fans from Maidstone, who stood out in a block many wearing their yellow and black tops, scarves and bobble hats.

Play started well and the first ten minutes were exciting.

Chesham were dangerous with set pieces and nearly took an early lead.

With just seven minutes played, from a corner a header by Ricardo German hit the post. He was unlucky not to score, and the scramble in the box led to another Chesham corner.

However, the scoring was opened by Devomte Aransibia of Maidstone after 12 minutes.

Chesham then held on well, and looked like equalising a few times, hitting the woodwork again when a free kick by Bruno Andrade was headed by Eoin Casey against the post.

The second half looked hopeful with the crowd cheering “Come on Chesham” and “Press ‘em Chess’am”, but it was not to be, as substitute Levi Amantchi added their second goal 12 minutes from time which settled the tie.

Three minutes from the end, Chesham’s substitute Rhys Murrell-Williamson took a free kick from just outside the box which was headed towards the top corner of the goal, but the Maidstone goalie Lucas Covolan made a great flying save.

People headed home disappointed after the FA Cup exit, but Chesham were not disgraced, putting in a great performance and playing well.