Wycombe Wanderers have lost for the first time in three league games as they fell to a shock home 3-2 defeat against Cambridge United.

The Us had only won one of their previous 12 visits to Adams Park prior to tonight’s match, but goals from Harvey Knibbs, Jack Lankester, and Lloyd Jones made it a memorable day for Mark Bonner’s side.

The visitors took the lead on six minutes through a brilliant Knibbs strike.

After Max Stryjek’s goal kick went straight out of play, United took a quick throw which saw Joe Ironside put the striker through on goal.

He fired past the goalkeeper for his fourth of the season and his first in a month.

Wycombe responded almost immediately as a Sam Vokes header was disallowed for a foul in the penalty area.

Despite manager Gareth Ainsworth stating that ‘possession can do one’ after the derby day victory over Milton Keynes on Saturday, the Chairboys bossed the ball with Jordan Obita, Anis Mehmeti and Garath McCleary pulling the strings.

On 17 minutes, Mehmeti struck the post, Lewis Wing had his attempt blocked, whilst Nick Freeman and McCleary also went close.

The Cambridge goal was living a charmed life but moments after Wanderers struck the woodwork, Ironside dragged his shot wide.

However, the ball was very much played in the United half and on 32 minutes, moments after missing a glorious chance, Vokes notched up his third of the campaign with a close-range header.

His goal from a Lewis Wing corner was his third of the campaign.

However, controversy ensued on the stroke of half-time as Mehmeti was clearly fouled in the penalty box.

Everyone was expecting to see Paul Wright blow for a spot-kick but instead, he waved away the appeals.

Seconds later, Lankester scored his second of the campaign with a brilliant bending shot.

Ainsworth was livid as his side went into the break a goal down.

The second period was a frustrating half for Wycombe as they just couldn't break down Cambridge's defence.

Little fouls, wayward passes, and poor defending was the bane of Wycombe as they fell to their first league defeat in three.

D’Mani Mellor and Sullay Kaikai, who both came off the bench came close to equalising but in truth, Wanderers were below their best, on top of some questionable refereeing from Wright.

The game was wrapped up midway through the second period when Jones scored with a tap-in from a Lewis Simper corner midway through the second half.

Wing scored a consolation in the final few seconds, as Wycombe fell to their seventh league loss this season.

Up next for the Chairboys is a home match against bottom-of-the-table Morecambe on October 29.

Attendance: 4,298