Forest Green Rovers and Wycombe Wanderers have both been charged by the FA following their recent match on November 12.

The Chairboys won the contest 2-0 at the Bolt New Lawn Stadium with David Wheeler and Garath McCleary scoring two wonderful goals inside the first 27 minutes.

However, with 33 minutes remaining, a scuffle broke out between both sets of players after Josh Scowen was fouled by Regan Hendry in the middle of the mark.

READ MORE: 'That is a nasty tackle' - Ainsworth on the melee in Wycombe's win over Forest Green

The tackle, along with Hendry’s verbal tirade towards the stricken midfielder, saw several Wanderers players step in to defend their teammate.

The fracas lasted for around five minutes with referee Sam Purkiss showing yellow cards to five players.

Those individuals were Hendry, Harvey Bunker, and Josh March for Forest Green, whilst Jack Grimmer and Anis Mehmeti were booked for Wycombe respectively.

Alfie Mawson was also cautioned in the match (unrelated to the scrap), which was his fifth of the season.

READ MORE: 'It’s deserved' - What record did Wycombe get in their 2-0 win at Forest Green?

This means he will miss the away trip against Cheltenham Town on Saturday.

If he had received this yellow card after Wycombe’s 19th league match of the season, then the suspension would have been void.

The caution against Forest Green was in Wanderers’ 18th league fixture this campaign.

The FA’s statement also revealed that club captain Joe Jacobson has been charged with allegedly committing a violent conduct offence in the melee.

The FA Spokesperson’s Twitter account said: “Forest Green Rovers FC and Wycombe Wanderers FC have both been charged with a breach of FA Rule E20.1 following their EFL League One fixture on Saturday, November 2022.

“It is alleged that both clubs failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative behaviour in the 57th minute.

READ MORE: Garath McCleary scores a stunner as Wycombe end winless run with Forest Green victory

“The clubs have until Friday, November 18, 2022, to provide their responses.”

In a separate statement regarding Jacobson, the FA added: “Wycombe Wanderers FC’s Joe Jacobson has also been charged with a breach of FA Rule E20.1 following the same fixture.

“It is alleged that the defender’s behaviour during the 57th minute, in an incident not seen by match officials but caught on video, constitutes violent conduct.

“He has until Wednesday, November 16 to provide a response.”

Jacobson has played 379 times for Wycombe since moving to the club in the summer of 2014.

Speaking on the incident, Ainsworth said: “The discipline…I have got to pull the boys up as it spilled over a little bit and I didn’t want anyone to get sent off stupidly.

“But when I watched that tackle on Josh, that is a nasty tackle.

“It was a really naughty tackle so I can see why the boys got frustrated.

“It’s a nasty one, it’s really high and it warranted a sending off and in the Premier League with VAR, it would have been a sending off.

“But then Joe Jacobson grabbing someone around by the neck is also a sending off as well.

“VAR is not at this level and the referee [Sam Purkiss] probably handled it in the right way as it could have gotten out of hand in the second half.

“Just disappointed that we lost a little bit of coolness but so did the opposition.

“That’s just football as it’s a full-blooded game, so to see the commitment that the boys showed me today [November 12], it’s fantastic and I’m proud of them.