Wycombe Wanderers substitute David Wheeler was sent-off after just 10 seconds as the Chairboys lost 4-2 at home to promotion-pushing Barnsley.

The Adams Park side started off the stronger as they attacked the terrace end in the opening half, with Bez Lubala having the first attempt of the contest.

Starting after his brilliant strike against Cheltenham Town on Tuesday, his close-range header was easily caught by Liam Roberts.

The Tykes rarely threatened as they absorbed the Wycombe pressure before Dale Taylor scored his eighth of the season on 17 minutes.

A mistake in the Barnsley box saw the ball fall to the on-loan Nottingham Forest man, who tucked it away from 15-yards.

Barnsley nearly responded straight away but Franco Ravizzoli was on hand to brilliantly tip away a Corey O’Keefe header over the crossbar.

It was Wycombe’s half as Joe Low, Garath McCleary and Kieran Sadlier all went close, but the tide turned on the stroke of half-time.

After Luke Leahy needlessly gave a free-kick away just outside the Wycombe box, Luca Connell’s set-piece crashed against the crossbar before Donavan Pines tapped home for his first goal of the season.

He’s also his first strike for the club since moving from D.C United in January.

It was a real sucker punch as Wycombe had been in control, but they managed to regain the lead just five minutes into the second period.

Lubala’s backheel found McCleary who assisted Sadlier who couldn’t miss from three-yards.

It was his sixth of the season.

However, things turned for the worse in a chaotic 16-minute period.

First, centre back Pines scored his second of the contest with another close-range attempt on 56 minutes.

This was four minutes after Sadlier had given Wycombe the lead.

Then, nine minutes later, O’Keefe put Barnsley ahead after some terrible defending in the Wanderers box.

The Chairboys responded with a triple substitution as Taylor, Sadlier and McCleary all made way for Sam Vokes, Wheeler and Gideon Kodua.

However, just 10 seconds after play restarted, Wheeler kicked out at O’Keefe after the ball went out of play, and referee Dean Whitestone was left with no option but to brandish a red card – the second in three games for Wycombe.

The loss of the utility player hampered the Chairboys, as Conor Grant made it 4-2 with 15 minutes left.

A frustrating day for Wycombe as they remain 14th.