Wycombe Wanderers lost their first-ever EFL Trophy final appearance after they fell to an incredibly narrow 2-1 defeat against Peterborough United.

In a tight contest, the game looked to be heading to a goalless draw in 90 minutes, before three goals in the final five minutes caused Wembley to go into chaos.

The Chairboys, who were wearing their green away kit, started the better and had a chance to take an early lead, but Kieran Sadlier’s shot on eight minutes was brilliantly blocked by Jadel Katongo.

The opening period predominantly belonged to Matt Bloomfield’s side as they continued to pepper Jed Steer in the Posh goal.

Matt Butcher fired wide after some brilliant link-up play with Richard Kone and Garath McCleary, whilst Josh Scowen smashed wide.

The London Road team weathered the storm and had chances of their own, as Kwame Poku bent his attempt over, Hector Kyprianou headed wide, and Chris Forino produced a fantastic tackle to deny Ricky-Jade Jones, with Franco Ravizzoli pushing away a Katono fizzer.

For Wycombe, they allowed Peterborough to have the ball before pouncing on them with counter attacks.

Firstly, a Freddie Potts ball was flicked on towards goal by McCleary who was denied by Jed Steer in the Posh goal, before Kone had several attempts blocked.

It was an end-to-end first half, which Wycombe just edged.

The second period began with the same intensity as the first, as Kone’s lob just 11 seconds in nearly gave Wycombe the lead.

The tempo grew with the contest starting to feel like a basketball encounter due to the frequent number of attacks.

Sadlier nearly gave Wanderers the lead after a stray pass from Steer was caught out, but his shot from on the edge of the box just went over.

McCleary and Butcher also went close but to no avail,

For the Posh, Ravizolli made himself big to gather a Jones attempt, whilst he was on hand to thwart a Harrison Burrows cross-shot.

Then, in a crazy last five minutes under the arch, Harrison Burrows’ fierce drive beat Ravizzoli to give the Posh the lead.

However, moments later, Dale Taylor bagged his ninth goal of the campaign with a snapshot from outside the box in the final minute of the contest.

It was his first touch since coming on as a substitute moments before.

The Wanderers end went into raptures as it seemed extra-time was beckoning.

But in a cruel twist of fate, Burrows’ cross/shot in five minutes of injury-time secured the trophy for Peterborough, and their first in the competition for 10 years.

It wasn't Wycombe’s day, but the performance is something they can be proud of.

Up next for the Chairboys is a league outing against Derby County on April 10 at Adams Park.