A SCIENTIST hanged himself at home less than a week after telling staff at a mental health ward he was feeling better, an inquest heard.

Brian McParland told staff at the Tindal Centre in Aylesbury he was coping better with his depression after seeing a psychiatrist and being prescribed anti depressant medication.

He had been admitted to the ward after being sectioned under the Mental Health Act, having contemplated committing suicide under a train, the inquest heard on Wednesday.

The 57-year-old's condition improved during his time on the ward and after a follow-up assessment at home he indicated to staff he did not require any more help from them.

But four days after his last contact with mental health staff he was found dead at his home in Pomeroy Close, Amersham.

Beaconsfield Coroner's Court heard Mr McParland was admitted to the Tindal Centre for the treatment of mental illnesses on January 23, having been sectioned after being found in the King's Cross area.

Coroner Richard Hulett said Mr McParland had suffered a "series of crises with a domestic element" in the ten days leading up to his sectioning.

He was reported missing from home several times and on one occasion was found, Mr Hulett said, "hovering near railway lines".

But after treatment at the Tindal Centre he said he felt better and was discharged on January 28. He was then assessed at home by nurses two days later, before being found hanged on February 3.

Susan Thomas, a consultant psychiatrist who examined him at the Tindal Centre, said Mr McParland showed no signs of depression during his meeting with her, nor during monitoring while he was on the ward.

She said: "I didn't feel he was being deliberately concealing of information", adding this was a view shared by other staff. He was then deemed suitable for community treatment.

Dr Thomas said: "He presented as bright in mind. He denied any thoughts of self harm and expressed a wish to recover. He described plans for the future."

Mr Hulett said there had been no failings by mental health staff and correct procedures had been followed.

The coroner said: "The legal structures are clear - it's the case people can only be detained when they fit a certain criteria.

"If the person, having formed that opinion [they want to be discharged] and wants to go through with it, really there's nothing that can be done about it. Nobody can challenge it and do anything about it."

He recorded a verdict Mr McParland took his own life.