A gas leak from a portable heater caused the massive explosion which led to a house being completely destroyed last night, fire investigators have confirmed.

Concerned residents were evacuated from their homes as firefighters tackled the blaze while a seriously injured man was pulled from the wreckage.

HOUSE EXPLOSION: Click here for the latest news after huge explosion destroys house.

Bucks Free Press:

Picture from the scene - ARM Images.

Latest news from the scene (Sunday, November 23, at 11pm)

Homeowners were evacuated following the “huge explosion” in Old Watery Lane, Wooburn Green, at about 5.30pm, with residents reporting that nearby buildings shook from the force of the blast.

Dozens of firefighters remained at the scene for 24 hours, tackling the smouldering semi-detached building which was completely destroyed.

The road is currently shut, with people from about five houses in the road, off Watery Lane, being asked to leave their homes as a safety precaution.

Apart from the couple's  next door neighbours, all have now returned.

Bucks Fire and Rescue has now confirmed that they rescued a man, injured, and a woman was released, injured, before they arrived, following the suspected gas explosion.

It is not known what condition the pair are currently in.

A resident from Barley Fields, who did not want to be named, said: “I just heard a loud explosion. I didn’t think anything of it at first and then I had a message from my daughter saying ‘are you still alive’.

“It’s really worrying. It looks to me like it has taken the building clean away. All you could see was dust and water in a big empty space.”

Many have left messages on the Bucks Free Press Facebook page following the incident.

Tania Hancocks said: “This was so scary. The explosion went right through us and the power from it was like a bomb. The poor family. Thought and prays go out to them.”

Abbie Barszcz said: “Poor people... I hope no one was in and who Evers house it is is ok and have somewhere to go.. Losing a house like that must be totally devastating.. X”

Old Watery Lane, Wooburn Green - Google Street View.

Two fire engines and crews from Beaconsfield, one from High Wycombe and one from Maidenhead attended, along with two urban search and rescue vehicles and the incident command unit from Aylesbury.

The British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service (FESS) vehicle from Marlow and two officers were also called-out.

Firefighters used two main jets and one hose reel and set up cordons.

And, the emergency services have not yet confirmed what the current situation is, but they say they will remain at the scene for most of this evening.

A fire investigation will begin in the morning.

As well as the Bucks Fire and Rescue crews, police cars and ambulances have been seen near the blaze.

National Grid gas engineers have also been spotted at the scene.

Eye-witnesses said that the fire was extinguished at about 7pm, but crews have continued to douse the smoking property.

Bucks Free Press:

Picture from the scene - ARM Images.

Pictures taken at the scene show that one property has been completely destroyed.

Do you live near to where the explosion happened? Speak to the Bucks Free Press by emailing andrew.colley@london.newsquest.co.uk or call 07824 530126/ 01494 755089.