A 35-year-old man has today been sentenced to life in prison for murdering 'vulnerable' Anita Kapoor, whose body was dumped in a lay-by in Gerrards Cross earlier this year.

Navin Mohan, from Southall, who had denied all allegations, must serve a minimum of 22 years for the murder of Anita Kapoor, who the court heard had worked as a prostitute.  

Her family have since paid tribute to the 'wonderful' and caring' 34-year-old.

Mohan was found guilty by a unanimous jury at Reading Crown Court yesterday. 

Det Chief Insp Kevin Brown of Major Crime, leading the investigation, said: “This was a vicious attack on a vulnerable woman. From the moment he was arrested by police until his conviction Mohan has denied responsibility for Anita’s brutal murder, despite a weight of evidence against him.

“By denying the allegations he has forced Anita’s family and friends through the rigours of a court case and all it entails including re-living her last moments which must have been terrifying for her and very traumatic for them.

“I would like to thank them all for their patience, support and dignity though this extremely tragic and difficult time.

"I would also like to thank the Thames Valley Investigation team who were made up of officers from all over the force area and completed 27 miles of painstaking CCTV work which was pivotal to the case, the Metropolitan Police and the public for their assistance in this investigation which has brought a violent man to justice.”

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service said: “The motive for the killing remains a mystery, but what is clear is that Mohan is an extremely ruthless, violent and dangerous man.

“This case represents a tragedy for Anita’s family and friends who have been devastated by her death.

"I would like to pay tribute to them for their wholehearted support of the investigation and prosecution and the dignity they displayed while hearing the horrific details surrounding Anita’s murder.

"I would also like to thank the witnesses, who gave evidence in very difficult circumstances.

"We have worked closely with Thames Valley Police since this investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved.

"We know that nothing will bring Anita back to her family and friends, but we hope that today’s conviction and sentence bring them at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."