A Holtspur woman took a fatal overdose of medication a decade after her beloved mother passed away, an inquest heard this week. 

Renata Jane Phillips was found dead at the flat she lived in alone on July 7 by a firefighter from nearby Beaconsfield Fire Station who was asked to help by worried friends whose calls had gone unanswered.

When firefighters got into her flat by climbing up a ladder onto the balcony, they found her body in the living room and attempted to resuscitate her but she was sadly pronounced dead. 

The 55-year-old’s daughter, Natalie Mitchell, said she believes her mother’s death was “no accident” because she had suffered badly with the loss of her own mum ten years ago. 

Toxicology reports found that she had levels of anti-depressant, Amitriptyline, in the “fatal range” and Dr Steven Corrigan found the cause of death to be Amitriptyline toxicity. 

Ms Phillips had seen her GP on July 5 for low mood and was referred to Healthy Minds. 

At an inquest on Wednesday, a statement from Ms Mitchell said her mother had a history of mental health problems and had suffered from alcohol abuse. 

She said: “She was abused emotionally and physically from a young age. She suffered badly with the loss of her mother in 2007.

“In times of crisis and when under the influence of alcohol she said she wanted to be with her mum.

“She suffered with hopelessness and didn’t feel valued. She felt ashamed of her illness. 

“She decided to end her life ten years after her mother died – I believe her death was no accident.

“There was no indication she was in crisis but I feel it was a short, sharp decision to end her own life rather than something she had been thinking about.” 

Alison McCormick, assistant coroner for Bucks, recorded a conclusion of suicide. 

She said: “She took a large number of tablets and didn’t tell anyone she had done so.

“I have no doubt that not only did she undertake the act that ended her life but also that she intended to do so.”