A financial advisor who had moved back in with his parents in Prestwood poisoned himself after losing his job and struggling with debts, an inquest has heard.

Mark Dean, who suffered with depression, moved back into his parents’ home in Nairdwood Lane in October last year after six years in Scotland, telling his family he was off sick before his employer “let him go”.

His body was found by his father in his bedroom on November 30, where lottery tickets and letters from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) were also found in a drawer.

Mr Dean’s mum Lynda told an inquest into her son’s death on Wednesday that they had spent the day shopping, where Mark had bought cans of lager, and had talked about taking his niece to feed the ducks the next day.

She said her son had seemed “fine all day” and there was “nothing to indicate” that he was going to end his own life.

She said: “I was cooking a casserole for dinner and Mark said he was looking forward to it. I knocked on his door to tell him it was ready but I got no response. I thought was just in a deep sleep. I asked my husband to go and wake him up. He told me Mark had passed away.”

Paramedics and police arrived at around 8pm and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

DS Jacqueline Robinson from Thames Valley Police said: “Officers found no injuries to his body and no signs of a disturbance, but a number of items of concern were identified.

“There was a booklet on how to end your life. There were letters from the DWP referring to debts and debt collection so it looked like he had been having financial difficulties and there were lots of lottery tickets, seemingly to try and win money to pay off those debts.”

Police also found an empty package with Polish stamps on, which they believed the substance Mr Dean had used to take his own life came from.

A post-mortem found concentrations of the poison in his body were “well above” the toxic level.

Alison McCormick, assistant coroner for Buckinghamshire, ruled Mr Dean's death was suicide.

She said: “I am satisfied that he took a fatal dose of [the substance] and I'm satisfied that he knew what he was doing and knew it would result in his death.

“He had financial problems and he had lost his job. There was no reason for him to have this package from Poland unless he was planning to use it to end his life.

"He also took the substance when he knew his parents were out of the house collecting their granddaughter from nursery.”

For confidential support in the UK, call the Samaritans on 116123, email jo@samaritans.org or visit a local Samaritans branch. See samaritans.org for more details.