A father had to be treated by paramedics and firefighters after rescuing his family from a fire that broke out in their kitchen.

Firefighters from Beaconsfield Fire Station were called to nearby Cherry Tree Road just before 5.45pm on Sunday. 

The fire started after plastic burned on their hob – but the man, who did not want to be named, told the Bucks Free Press his quick-thinking 12-year-old turned the hob off before the situation worsened.

Describing the terrifying incident, he said: “There was thick smoke everywhere. My pregnant wife fell down the stairs trying to get out. I had to get my two kids out – I got everyone out but then I was stuck inside, I couldn’t get out the door.

“I have to praise the fire brigade, they did a brilliant job – they were there so quickly, and the ambulance service. It was a very panicky situation.”

The family had to go to hospital following the ordeal but fortunately none of them suffered any major injuries and their home was not damaged.