A man who stabbed his aunt to death after telling his father he was Jesus has been found guilty.

Jordan Clarke, 22, of Sudborne Road, Brixton, killed his 38-year-old aunt, Samantha Clarke, from High Wycombe, at the family home in Brixton on April 15 last year.

Mrs Clarke, a hotel assistant manager, was pronounced dead at 7.11pm after paramedics tried to revive her, with Clarke later arrested at the scene. She died as a result of multiple stab wounds – more than 50 in total – a post-mortem found.

Blackfriars Crown Court heard Jordan likely had an acute psychotic disorder, once telling his father he was Jesus Christ and another time telling him he wanted to rename himself Emperor.

He was also said to be “paranoid” and was seen talking to himself in his room, according to a consultant forensic psychiatrist who assessed Clarke following his arrest.

Officers also discovered Jordan had been suffering from deteriorating mental health in the days and weeks leading up to the incident, claiming that he was being followed by undercover police officers, and arranging furniture from the house in the street.

Due to his “erratic” behaviour, his family sought help from a doctor, who referred him to a local mental health team as a matter of urgency.

At that time, his symptoms were not thought to be acute enough to justify immediate treatment, and so he returned home with his family.

Days later, Jordan’s uncle and his wife Samantha decided to visit London from their home in High Wycombe because of appointments Samantha had in the area.

They had not informed relatives prior to their arrival and so it was a surprise visit.

Police said Jordan’s behaviour started to become worse almost immediately. Two other relatives, who remained at the address, saw Jordan holding a screwdriver before he made his way into the kitchen and took hold of several kitchen knives.

Jordan’s uncle continued to unload luggage, and saw Jordan staring at him blankly. He went out to get more bags from his car and, when he came back, he found the front door had been locked from the inside, leaving him unable to get in.

He then locked the remaining family members inside the kitchen, who grew concerned about what was happening, and called Jordan’s father, who had left prior to Samantha’s arrival to visit a relative.

When his uncle managed to get into the house, Jordan simply said: “I have killed Samantha.”

Police were called and Jordan was said to be calm and compliant when arrested.

Several psychiatric assessments later diagnosed Jordan as having a psychotic-related illness. He was found guilty of manslaughter by means of diminished responsibility.

The judge made an interim order remanding Jordan in secure accommodation under the Mental Health Act pending further psychiatric reports, followed by a sentencing hearing to be set on Wednesday, May 1.

Detective Inspector Dave Blair, of the homicide and major crime command, said: “Samantha arrived at the address that day with no idea of the danger she was in.

“Jordan’s family had sought help for his evidently deteriorating mental health but they too could not have known what was about to happen.

“Samantha was subjected to an unprovoked attack as she went about her business bringing her things into the address. It was an attack from which she tried to defend herself but ultimately stood no chance.

“I hope there will be some small measure of comfort for Jordan’s family in knowing justice has been done.”