The body of a man was discovered after he told his wife he was going to work in his garage, an inquest heard this week.

Fifty-four-year-old Clifford Norman Lowe died at his home address in High Wycombe on January 21 this year after a lengthy struggle with anxiety and dependent personality disorder.

Clifford owned a window cleaning business and was discovered in his garage by his wife and one of his customers after he had barricaded the garage door.

Clifford’s social worker, Yasmeen Shah, confirmed to the coroners court that although he had been experiencing difficulties, the service “did not believe he was at a high risk of self-harm” and that he had the “capacity to decide on his own treatment.”

Mrs Shah said: “In terms of an assessment to risk, self-harm was never above moderate and was sometimes low. Clifford’s family were protective factors.”

The court was told how Clifford’s condition had improved over the Christmas period, but subsequently worsened in January.

Mrs Shah told the court that Clifford had been “really frustrated about anxiety and panic attacks and wanted the medication to work” when she last spoke with him on January 18.

“I felt we had a really good relationship. He would call me; we would talk and do breathing exercises together and look at ways to manage his anxiety.”

One of Clifford’s good friends, Christopher Gibson, said that he believed Clifford appeared to be in a good place before his death. The pair spoke the day before, and Christopher recalled that he seemed okay.

The court was told that Christopher, known by his friends as Bubbles, “did not have any notable concerns” about Clifford in the days leading up to his death. Plans had been made for a future meeting, with Clifford suggesting that the pair should meet up for a cup of tea.

Detective Sergeant Stephen Fox, based at High Wycombe Police Station, attended the scene and confirmed that the police were “satisfied that there was no third person involvement.”

The court also heard that no alcohol was present in Clifford’s body at the time of his death. An autopsy did find that he had been taking his medication, which was at thereuputic levels in his blood.

Assistant Coroner Alison McCormick ruled the death as suicide by hanging. She told family who were attending the inquest into his death on Wednesday that “the thing that shines through in this case is how supported Clifford was by his friends and family.

“You could not have supported him any more than you did. He was very lucky to have such a supportive family.”

For confidential support in the UK, call the Samaritans on 116123, email or visit a local Samaritans branch. See for more details.