AN ANGRY mum has slammed McDonald’s after her young son was injured by a stray eggshell while he enjoyed a fast food breakfast.

Uthania Jackson’s seven-year-old son Uthan was bought a bacon and egg McMuffin two days before Christmas as a treat – but when she heard her son “crunching” his food, the horrified High Wycombe mum realised there were chunks of eggshell in his meal.

While trying to eat the McMuffin, the eggshell reportedly left Uthan with a cut lip – and mum Uthania immediately went back to the McDonald’s branch in High Wycombe’s Asda supermarket to complain.

She said: “The manager was lovely and said he was really sorry but he offered me a voucher and I wouldn’t take it. McDonald’s is a global company and a big company like this really shouldn’t make these mistakes.

“If it was a smaller company, they could be shut down for things like this – why can McDonald’s get away with it?”

After taking her complaint to McDonald’s head office, Ms Jackson was sent three £5 vouchers in the post – which she says has left her feeling “fobbed off”.

She told the Bucks Free Press: “I feel like they don’t give a damn. This is about the safety of their customers and it is food contamination. Fifteen pounds worth of vouchers when I told them I don’t go there often anyway just isn’t good enough.”

Ms Jackson said she is “not going to go quietly” – and thinks her son deserves some compensation for his injury. She said: “He ate half the eggshell. His injury could have been a lot worse and I feel like I’m just being fobbed off with vouchers.”

In emails from McDonald’s’ customer service team, a staff member said they were “limited in what they can offer”, adding that the vouchers were a “goodwill gesture”. A McDonald’s spokesman said: “We use freshly cracked eggs throughout our breakfast menu and, unfortunately, on this occasion, a piece of eggshell accidentally found its way into the McMuffin.

“As soon as the customer brought this to our attention we apologised and offered a full refund.“Customer Services have also been in touch with the customer to offer an apology and we would like to echo this once again. We have procedures in place to prevent this happening, and the restaurant is in the process of reviewing these to help avoid any future incidents.”